Very low fps on SC2 menu

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by soul0reaper, Jan 20, 2011.

1. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    I've noticed that if I enabled ambient occlusion the framerate takes a HUGE dip down to 14-25 in SC2 menues. Is this suppose to happen? I run SC2 maxed out on everything at 1080p.

When ambient occlusion is disabled I get the normal 60 fps.

2. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    who cares about the menu, when the gameplay is smooth. i think i only get around 30 fps during the menus. they are a bit choppy to be honest.

3. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    it just seems strange that the impact is that much, that background BC must be taxing lol

4. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    Yup ambient occlusion affects performance severely. like you said 25-30 FPS drop not only in menus, even in game play and cut scenes.

Honestly I don't feel much of a difference when it's on extreme !!! To me 60 FPS is much MUCH better than a little bit better colors and shadows.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

5. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    actually its only applied to the menu, cutscene, and story settings. So ingame performance isn't actually lowered.

I seem to remember other games supporting this, but nowhere near as large of an fps hit.

6. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    I think blizzard should keep working hard on another patch. in certain cut scenes on ultra settings I always get 60 FPS. changing to extreme drops the FPS nearly 50% to 29-30 FPS. over clocking my card a little bit knocks up the FPS back to 60 FPS. I have never seen a huge gain "nearly 50%" with such a light overclock. so something is wrong here. in-game also got affected for me. FPS drops down to below 50 FPS. that never happened before even on extreme battles.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  7. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    I've never had below 60 yet in 2v2, not sure about 3v3+ maxed armies.
    Theres an extreme option? though it was just turning occlusion on/off.