266.58 WHQL Out

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by burebista, Jan 18, 2011.

?

Better or worst than previous sets?

1. Better

64.4%
  2. Worst

19.2%
  3. Same

16.3%
  1. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Indeed and worse. I'm back with the 263.xx drivers.

2. KevinK37

KevinK37 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
    It's a PNY GTX 470. I don't know what the part number is.

3. vladdeh

vladdeh Guest

GPU:
    GEFORCE 8600 GTS 512MB
    Guess I'll have to revert as well, sucks. :wanker::bang:

4. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    You'll find it in the bios usually under "Power Options" or "ACPI Options"..

Wikipedia gives a good enough general explanation about HPET, however, it's claimed that fast CPU's will not benefit from this, actually the opposite might occur.. There are some factors that by design/coding might see some improvement by using HPET, no matter how fast the CPU/PC is, and thats why it's a bad thing nV can't seem to get it right regarding HPET with 260.xx drivers..

I'll test these latest with HPET enabled and report back if there are some improvements or not compared to other 26x.xx drivers..

5. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Tried these out with CoD BO and everything seems fine. With 266.35 beta, BO was ok but had to change the max prerender limit from 3 to 1 so that I wouldn't stutter so bad when shooting. With 266.58 whql I have yet to change the max prerender limit, it's at 3(default). Shooting in BO seems as good as the beta drivers without any changes. So for now, the whql ones are the way to go for me.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    These drivers are even better than the 265.90 drivers on my system.

One thing I noticed too is that my system boots faster with these drivers for some unknown reason :banana:

7. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Something strange is happening with this driver, i get very low Score in 3DMark Vantage
    and 3DMark11.

With Geforce Win7 x64 259.32 Beta i had with 3DMark Vantage P23668 and with
    3DMark11 P6266.

And now with this new driver i get in 3DMark Vantage P6856 and with 3DMark11 P1534.

I get lower Scores then with 1 Geforce GTX 460 1GB, SLI is on and show SLI
    Visual Indicator is on and shows that SLI is working, so whats going on???

Here you can see the Info and FPS and Score of 3DMark11:
    http://3dmark.com/3dm11/461891

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. DaddyGfactor

DaddyGfactor Member

GPU:
    Evga/9800gx2 & 9800gtx
    Tried again with no success, control panel isn't playing nice... months of waiting for this???? Way to go nvidia, dohhh:bang:

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    you might be getting the 2d clocks thing with the adpative performance setting.

the performance mode setting is horrible now.

basically, if i leave it on adaptive, my games get constant 2d/3d clock switching depending on the framerate, and this causes hitching in games.. and makes playing games without v-sync useless, since as soon as i get 60 fps it drops to 2d clocks..

and if i put on max performance, then a simple youtube vid playing makes the card go into full 3d clocks, even if the vid is jsut a picture with sound :rolleyes:

so basically, now i have to go in control panel and put max performance mode on for every single video game i have installed...

and ill have to do it everytime i do a clean install of drivers.. very convinient..

this only started happening since the 266.35 beta.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    now that you have it set for all games and software, export all user defined profiles with inspector and you can import them next time you install a new driver.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, adaptive never works very well, i've watched the clocks jump up and down, and while the framerate itself doesn't drop, it will stutter when it changes.

Wouldn't pay to much attention to maleficarus™, think he is blind in one eye, so has much lower standards than most of us.

HPET should be disabled imho, i was having DPC latency spikes of over 100 recently, and couldn't work out why, then remembered i had defaulted my bios settings a few weeks back, and had forgot to disable it, turned it off last night, and its back down to around 20.

ToyTen, i think NFS is capped to 60fps, if that is what your meaning by VSync not turning off, and tbh, i don't think there is an issue with you only having 52% GPU usage with 2xGTX570, i just think that is all the game needs.

Gaming wise these don't seem much better than the last beta's, but i never get huge performance increases, or drops going from driver to driver anyway.

12. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    but what would i have to complain about then? :nerd: ;)

i will do that, but i still think the adpative setting is messed up.

mid game 2d/3d clock switching should not cause my games to hitch. and if i wanted limited fps i would enable v-sync, not have some software code decide for me that 60 fps in l4d 2 is enough for online gaming :bang:

13. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    I turned off HPET :banana:

Gaming just got alot more fun for me ...

No more stuttering when playing games under 60 FPS THANK YOU .... ;0)

I was nearly giving up on my GTX 480 ...

But now I LOVE IT ... LOL

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:

:D
    i know, but for now that its broken it can be handy:nerd:

@ redemption

with off it can sometimes shoot beyond 200us, i was idling (surfing and listening to music) and i saw 1-2 spikes to ~250us and then back to 5-25us,.. with on it stays at 100-130us no matter what, but yea it doesn't go below that either.

hmm, i turned it back on when i saw that weird high spike when doing almost nothing..

i never had such low fps stutter, if it happened it was driver fault... i reverted to the one that didnt have it.

Idk maybe im gonna try and see in gaming,.. i think i never tested in win 7, well except in winxp where its off by default:nerd:

15. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Gpu Usage is at 98 - 100 after turning it off ... :nerd:

No matter what game i play ... he he

Tried : Medal Of Honor MP / FEAR 2 / Black OPS / Dragon Age / Starcraft 2 / Anno 1404 / Mafia 2 / Metro 2033

All at 98 - 100 NEVER seen that before ... ;)

16. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Yup, was a very needed remedy when I got my 480 a long time ago. ATI seems unaffected by HPET enabled, my HD5970 was oblivious if HPET was on and worked perfectly either way, on or off.

Now I'm on a GTX580, and it's the same, even on the shiny new 266.58, HPET must be off so there is some shait going on with nV drivers and this Intel tech, a symptom of their fallout perhaps, a relationship wich now is seemingly on a bed of roses. To bad HPET issues is not the first fix coming from this peacetreaty...

17. KevinK37

KevinK37 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Sounds kind of like what I've already posted. The 258.96 drivers work well with my GTX 470. When I tried the 266.58 or even the 260.89 drivers, my 3d clocks were as follows:

Core 405 instead of 607
    Shader 810 instead of 1215
    Memory ok @ 1674

I had prefer max power set, so it's not that.

3dmark11 score w/258.96 P3403
    3dmark11 score w/266.58 P2611

I also tried various other 3d programs, and upon exit would check my 3d clocks and they never went to where they were supposed to be, even though gpu usage was max.

18. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Im just really happy that i dont have to be over 60 FPS to have a playable game ... ;0)

They need to fix that Nvidia ?

19. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I fix the problem, i disabled SLI and run the 3Dmark programs and then one
    Geforce GTX 460 1gb works good i get P17187 in 3DMark Vantage (GPU:
    14057).

So i enabled SLI again and now everything is working again, (strange do not
    know why, never ever had this problem
    ) and now i get even higher score in
    3DMark Vantage P28751 (GPU: 25188) :) and with 3DMark11 P6269.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/462533

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    i think its because of these new services, they appeared with 260.xx+ and were needed mostly for 460gtx (idle states)..

[​IMG]
    any driver before 260.xx doesn't have these services. , there are 1-2 from microsoft with its updatestatus addon.. it acts similar to NvXDSync.exe process and that's about it, looks like they need to tweak these services more:nerd:

ok cool tnx that looks promising, i kinda doubt i would see such a drastic diff with my old 250gts, but im gonna test it anyway :D