Q9550 to i5 2500k, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by steven88, Jan 18, 2011.

1. steven88

steven88 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 570 Superclocked
    So I've seen graphs of last gen CPU to the new sandy bridge....of course, it's not the biggest upgrade...only die hard enthusiasts would jump from last gen to Sandy Bridge....but what about people who have LGA 775 and Q9550's?

My primary use would be for internet surfing/gaming...I currently have my Q9550 at 4.0, only during winter months....spring/summer I would have to back it to down 3.6 ish or else it would crash....Should I go out and buy i5 2500k and new mobo/ram? Would I see a nice boost in my surfing the web/gaming?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its a nice boost going to SB from your setup,but ask yourself....

"With your 570 can you run all games the way you want to"or is the pc lacking in fps in some games?

i wouldnt upgrade unless i needed too.

3. steven88

steven88 Master Guru

GPU:
    my current games, well it isn't really a problem right now....my current ones consist of, Crysis, COD series, BFBC2, GTA 4....well, GTA 4 can use a little more boost if you ask me...I know its CPU intensive game....but then again, I'm not gonna be playing GTA 4 for long...I'm just doing it for single player campaign

What I'm really looking forward to are the newer titles...like BF3, Crysis 2, etc....I'm pretty sure those newer titles will require a beefier CPU....I already know my GPU will be up to the task....My CPU is slightly outdated (even OC to 4.0ghz)

4. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    I've already done that upgrade :)

made a huge performance increase.

although i had a q9550 that just wouldnt overclock, mine was stuck at 2.83ghz, mightve been the mobo, who knows.

Im now sitting on a i5-2500k at 4.5, ive had it at 5.0ghz but wasnt comfortable with 75c temps and the 1.4v needed up there.

And its made a big improvement for me.

But for you it will be a fairly costly investment, i'd say no.. since your cpu has a nice overclock and its running fine as it is.

And as for getting rid of any bottlenecking for the gtx570, i dont really think there would be much at 4ghz q9550..

so i'd advice against the upgrade for now, keep what you have till it fails.

5. Stop It RAWR

Stop It RAWR Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7850 BE
    I upgraded from a Q9400 clocked at 3.6Ghz to an i5 2500k, currently clocked in at a very stable 4.5Ghz.

I have a Radeon HD5870 so I'm not exactly lacking in the GPU department but still, the improved in many games has been immense. games like ArmA2, GTA4 + EFLC, F1 2010 are like totally new games and are so so much smoother.

Frankly, if you're looking to upgrade, and have games where you are starting to struggle I say go for it, if not, I wouldn't upgrade for upgrading sake, however.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'll let you know how it compares to a C2Q@4.2GHz tomorrow or very soon after.
    Ping me or this thread if I forget.

7. steven88

steven88 Master Guru

GPU:
    The only games I really struggle with my Q9550 4.0ghz and GTX 570...is GTA 4 +EFLC....Crysis, BFBC2, COD, all of them run completely fine at 60FPS....well, Crysis I can't max at 60fps...but I just tone it down just a tad, and it will be 60FPS with no immediate difference in image quality

But yeah, GTA 4, completely maxed out with all distances at 100%, 1920x1200, I'm getting about 25FPS if I am outdoors looking around and gun fights....

So you think i5 2500k at 4.5ghz would give me 60fps outdoors in GTA4?

8. Tr0ll

Tr0ll Member

GPU:
    XFX 5830 Oc'ed 940/1350
    You would not gain that much in upgrading to 2500k, GTA IV is known for it's ****ty ass engine. Max 10fps would you gain, which would still make it lag like hell still. Get a new cooler for that CPU and go and have it clocked in the summer.

So no, you can never get over the 60fps thing with everthing maxxed, just beat it!

Also remember it's a ****ty console port was not made to run over 60fps. Go ahead and buy the stuff but you wont get over the fps you desire, only thing is to lower your distance.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  9. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    If your happy with your performance now then you keep the system for now. Once your unhappy you look into upgrades, too late to get enough rebound money out of the 775 now with 3 diffrent platforms about 1156, 1155, 1366 and soon 2011.

I bought two x58 mobos near xmas and I really feel I need to ditch one of them quick to get some rebound money out of it. It is a Sabertooth X58 used for less then 2 hours in perfect condition if anyone feels like snagging it :)

10. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    If you've got the money then go for it, but I don't really see a huge step over you've got right now. On the other side you'll have a fair good future proof, if you are planning to move to Crossfire or Sli the gains are much more higher for sure.

11. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    IF I had money I,d gone for SB. Now The thing is I dont but you do. Upgrading is just not about improvements it is also about making one happy. If you have spare money to spend go for it.

Now The Issue is if it is directly related to performance i,ll say wait for AMD's offering. I hope you have heard about the bulldozer platform. Wait and see it performance then you can take an informed decision.

12. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

13. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    No, I don't think it's really worth it because the price is too high compared to how much you'll gain from it. I'll explain. If you overclock an i7 950 on Asus Rampage III Extreme you'll get better games performance than if you overclock an i7 2600K on Asus Maximus IV Extreme. Maybe that's because the Sandy Bridge motherboard sill needs a BIOS update, I don't know. Fact of the matter remains the P67 chipset only has 16 PCIe lanes and that's the main reason why there's little to no point in going Sandy Bridge right now, even though the Maximus IV Extreme uses an NF200 chip so it doesn't suffer from that problem like the rest, and even though it's actually also even cheaper than the Rampage III Extreme.

I just think the i7 2500K is far too cheap for a board as costly as the Maximus IV Extreme but at the same time I also think it really sucks to have to choose a cheaper motherboard that cannot even run two vidcards in x16 x16 mode... I know many people prefer using only one vidcard but all I'm trying to say is it's better value for money if you're able to future upgrade from one to two (but usually not if it means they will only run in x8 x8 mode). Don't get me wrong though, Sandy Bridge kicks ass. Unfortunately however, not in terms of games performance. So I'd wait for socket 2011 to be released in Q3 later this year.

14. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

The core i7-2600k is tempting at $317 but the core i5-2500k is a complete steal at $216, Your neally getting $999 worth of performance at roughly a quarter of the cost compared to a i5-750/760, you'll get an additional 10-50% performance across the board in existing applications.And all that from a 25% Increase in clock speed.. So far 1155 is dominating everything existing atm, even beating X58 in SLI considering the X58 has more PCIE lanes.. You really must read and check out some screenies to see how good SB really is..

15. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

For a extra $80 you can get a P8p67 and a 2600k over a i5 gaming rig, have you done your reading or are u seriously just googling? 2600k smashes the 950, and no it doesnt get better performance lol...All screenys are done on the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme .. Anyhow picture time :D

http://img508.imageshack.us/i/3dvantageh.png
    http://img843.imageshack.us/i/avp.png
    http://img33.imageshack.us/i/crysisf.png
    http://img209.imageshack.us/i/metroz.png
    http://img200.imageshack.us/i/civilizationv.png
    http://img404.imageshack.us/i/crysiswarhead.png
    http://img811.imageshack.us/i/26859419.png

16. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
  17. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    ^ Yeah I see, it's the BIOS like I was expecting of course. Nevertheless, I still don't see an improvement over the Bloomfield big enough to really justify the price of upgrading from a 4.0 GHz Q9550 in terms of games performance.

19. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    For someone in the OP's boat: As your 9550 isn't a bottleneck (yet), I'd wait for the SB die shrink and Windows 8 next year.

20. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe