Unable to delete folder even in safe mode?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by kanej2007, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it still fails then I'd reinstall the program and then use a 3rd party uninstaller to remove it..

Revo is pretty good...

I remember a bug in XP where u couldn't delete a folder...some BS about "not empty" blah blah...

MS released a fix iirc.

Urs is prob malware tho.

2. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Can you make a new folder and give it the exact same name? If it's not malware then it could be some stale/corrupt inodes in the filesystem. You can try running a chkdsk /f C: to try and fix it. That's my best guess.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I installed and ran the program, it got rid of bits & pieces but unfortunately not the empty folder...

I just tried the 32 bit version, for some reason it still does not appear in the windows explorer...

I will soon try hijackthis to get rid of the bugger...

I also tried this, got rid of some registry junk but not the empty folder.

Revo seemed a decent program but did not remove the empty folder.

I just tried making a new folder with the exact same name, it let me do so...

I also ran chkdsk /f C: which fixed some registry errors but the folder remains...

I may have to manually remove the folder somehow in the registry editor.

4. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    The registry is not related to the file system. The registry itself is stored on the filesystem under Windows\System32\Config (with a backup usually in the system volume information directory). So you shouldn't be touching the registry editor at all.

After you created a new folder with the exact same name as your phantom folder, did you try doing a normal delete on it?

5. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Burn the ISO to a CD. After you have done this, leave the CD in the burner. Restart the computer and enter the bios set up. Change the boot priority to allow the CD to be the first item in the boot prioity - Note: your bios may already be set up this way.

Save the changes you made in the bios and the computer will load from the CD. When the menu appears, select Windows Mini XP. Windows Mini XP will load. Once the desktop is up and running, use Windows Explorer and delete the folder.

Restart the computer without the CD in the burner and see if the folder is gone.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Correct, the registry is not responsible for the file system. However, Windows in which the registry is part of can be the cause of a folder or file not being able to be copied / renamed / moved / deleted or even opened. Usually it is a Windows process and or a security setting that is causing the issue. Malware writers are well aware on how to " Lock a file or folder " so as not to allow a normal user from being able to delete or even access it. So, if you are able to remove the Malware with the registry entries, the object you are trying to delete should be available for that operation or any other you choose.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It needs to be installed with admin rights iirc.

works fine here...

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Whenever I can't delete a file on Windows, i reboot to a Linux LiveCD and just type this in the command:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/disc
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/disc
    sudo rm -rvf /mnt/disc/folder

I'm assuming your C:\ is /dev/sda1

DO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISTYPE THAT AS YOU MAY **** YOUR SYSTEM OVER! Linux is not Windows, the switch I added in that remove command force deletes that means it won't do "are you sure?" It can and will delete your HDD if you're not careful.

deltatux

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yes, tried this, it deletes the newely created folder but not the old one.

Being as I installed the program twice, I am stuck with 2 empty folders, not wanting to delete.

As of now I am downloading and will run Hiren's boot cd and will attempt to delete the folders in windows xp mini mode.

Many thanks Watcher, I'm doing this NOW and will shortly report back.

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Ok, just tried to delete the empty folders again in Windows XP mini but unfortunately it gave me the same problem.

Here are some screens of the usual messages I get that were taken in Win xp mini mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
  12. Ali-K

Ali-K Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    Run chkdsk /F/R from command prompt. This should fix it.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
  14. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    If it bugs you this much I say format the hard drive and be 100% it's gone for good.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I ran it, folder is still there...

This way would definately get rid of the bugger but formatting my entire pc and then reinstalling gigs worth of stuff back on is not worth it for a stupid empty folder...

I take it it's a windows problem/bug, the folder is not meant to be there but it is.

formatting the entire pc is my last resort... I should sue the company for their headache.

This is their website:

http://www.getfullspeed.com/

I do not advise anyone to install it because when you uninstall the program, your left with an empty folder that does not delete, how rediculous...

16. fekter

fekter Guest

GPU:
    Asus RX 580
    Try this app. Should do the job.
    .ttp://www.purgeie.com/dl/delinvfile.zip
    Replace the dot .

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Holy $hit, it FINALLY removed the $hit folder immediately once I clicked delete!!!!

Many many thanks fekter, I owe you one!

Amazing how I tried 10 other programs/software of which all failed to remove this folder and this one you recommended me immediately highlighted the folder in red and deleted it immediately.

Amazing program which actually does the job.

Once again I thank you fekter, I really appreciate the help, great recommendation.

As for all the other gurus, I thank you as well for your efforts to try and help me remove this annoying folder which did not want to go!!

18. fekter

fekter Guest

GPU:
    Asus RX 580
    Glad it has worked.

19. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Interesting. Would liked to see that hard drive in person. Very odd that the Windows Mini XP was unable to remove the folders? Good Work to fekter and to everyone else who assisted kanej2007 in his efforts to delete those folders.

Have not heard of the program DelinvFile. For those interested in more information about the program, home page and Softpedia reference can be found below.

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/

DelinvFile - 'Delete Invalid files is a program that you can use to delete data files that you have not been able to delete using the normal Windows Delete function. The current version includes a function for scanning your hard drive for invalid filenames and too-long filenames.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/DelinvFile.shtml

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTAB...rtable-Applications-Portable-DelinvFile.shtml

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmm v. intriguing....good result tho. :)

Must check out the app. Wonder how it works.