Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 6 (2011-01-14)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Matrices

Matrices Member

Unwider, do you have access to a CF system? CF is basically unusable with the overvolt/unofficial overclock settings right now.

To detail the issues:

1. Even after going through registry and disabling all ULPS, the drivers crash and the screen freezes for 10 seconds when applying overclocks (though it does stick).

2. Once you overclock, the voltages and speeds get stuck at max. This is not because of disabling ULPS, either, as the cards ramp up and downlock fine with Afterburner turned off.

3. If you set up another profile with lower voltages, and then try to switch back, only the first GPU's voltages will be correct.

4. GPU1 and 2 are mislabeled.

Again, this is using 6950CF with unlocked shaders only. Using official overclocks, everything works fine. Using unofficial overclocks and overvolt on first card only, everything is fine. So in short, there are a lot of CF issues.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  2. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Gave it a try on my old GTX 280. A lot of things added since v1.1 I tried before. It almost looks like a new RivaTuner with even more overclocking options. Only thing I now miss is the RealTemp CPU plugin.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Do you have access to the forum search feature? Why do you think unofficial overcloking is called unofficial and locked by default? Try to find this info and READ it, you had to do it prior to crying here. And don't touh power user oriented things if you are newbie and have no ideas what to expect from an option you are enabling blindly.
    So in short, do some research before saying that there are issues to be sure that the issues are not located in your knowledge.

4. SeGoLecTriCk

SeGoLecTriCk Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX480
    screen and video capture

for some reason when i go to use the video capture or the screen capture nothing happens. When i hit the screen capture button it says in afterburner screenshot captured but there is no pic in the folder its directed to, same with video capture. Could someone maybe have a solution

5. Unwinder

Does the target folder exist?

6. r3lu

r3lu Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti
    Ok, so enabling unofficial overclocking disables PowerPlay. That is such a shame :)

I guess i will just have to stick with Sapphire TriXX utility, when it will finally support voltage changes for the 6970.

Apparently TriXX has no problem with PowerPlay when i go beyond the official frequencies, so it’s doable.

Also I would like that when I click the reset button, the default voltage used is the real one that has been set into the video bios, not some preset written in the program.

For example I have used Radeon Bios Editor 1.27 to edit the voltage table in my 6970: from 1000-900-1150-1175 to 950-850-1050-1065 millivolts. I have done this to ensure quieter operation at stock frequencies, while giving the card just the voltage it needs to function properly.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Only problems for me seem to be with the OSD games below all CTD

World of warcraft
    Starcraft II
    Starwars force unleashed II
    Dead Rising 2
    Divinity 2 DKS

Seems like it is with any game the CTD happens

8. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    I went back to rbe also, good call, use rbe for voltage and turn off V controll in AB and turn off overclocking in ccc, just use AB for fans/adjusting core/mem clocks, works brilliantly for me. Also a good tip for keeping powerplay is to install SD and tick the range enhancement box and then uninstall SD, the frequency limits change with the benefit of not having to use SD's crappy GuI and buggy fan controll.

9. Unwinder

Not a problem, I'd also love to see Sapphire users using native Sapphire software instead of expecting MSI doing free job for them. :))
    And it is not doable by default as the Trixx is based om ATITool core, which is using the same unofficial overclocking interface of ATI driver as RivaTuner, ATI Tray Tools ir AMDGPUClockTool. And lack of PowerPlay support is by design limitation of that interface, and limitation is located in ATI driver and not somewhere else.
    And the only way to keep PP active is to apply default clocks, so you can easily acheive desired effect by assigning default clock profile to 2d applications and overclocked clock profile for 3D applications.

Forget about it, it won ever happen. Implementing that requires good part of BIOS extraction and parsing functionality (for both ati and nvidia hardware and differrent GPU bios layouts) to be moved to Afterburner from both vendor BIOS editors. Way too expensive in terms of required development resources just to provide support for 1% of users redefining reference voltages in BIOS and ingorin the warnings about 100% original voltage table requirement. We decrale original BIOS as minimum system requirement, if you want to ignore it - do it at your own risk.

10. Unwinder

Cannot comment alll games as i own just Sc2 from this list, but I don't see a problem when running SC 2 with OSD enabled. If those are online multiplayer games then it can easily be a restriction of their anticheat systems, so enabling stealth mode for them may help.

11. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    we need a thank you button! FAST!

I would like to thank people who contribute here without doing a new reply, because i think it messes the thread, dont you think guys?

Thanks alot msi-afterburner member

like this button
    [​IMG]

12. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU:
    R290X CFX@1050/1350
    So I disable overdrive but still can't run 1.3V @1000/1400, with 1.275V it is ok. (CFX)
    Gpu-temps are ok ,25degrees. mosfets are cooled by heatsinks and fan.

Next test is to uninstall everything and will try again...

13. r3lu

r3lu Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti
    davetheshrew thanks for the tip with SD

Unwinder thank you for the prompt response and forgive me for being somewhat harsh in my comments, just wanted to give some constructive critics :)

I absolutely love the MSI Afterburner interface, the program does an amazing job most of the time, even with cards that have nothing to do with MSI.
    At least now i know why it cant do some of the things i would like.

From what you say, changing the voltages for a card with a modified voltage table can have undesired results ?.. for example a ending up with a different voltage being set than the one shown in the program ? That could be dangerous :3eyes:

14. Matrices

Matrices Member

A bit defensive and petulant, are we?

I listed, in detail, what is broken in your Crossfire implementation. Period. No whining about you was involved. To say that unofficial overclocking is unofficial and therefore supposed to be broken, is daft.

If you actually read what I wrote instead of entering into conniptions, you'd see that (a), some of the issues I listed have nothing to do with using unofficial OC, i.e. the switched GPU numbers and voltage settings not applying to one card, and (b) the unofficial OCing works fine on one card, but not in CF, so the issue is with CF implementation, not unofficial OC in general.

And obviously, overvolting without using unofficial OC is a waste of time, so it makes no sense to imagine that unofficial OC is some esoteric feature that is silly to use - *everyone* posting here is using unofficial OC, because official OC can be done on stock voltage.

And "newbie", that's pretty funny. Shows again your arrogance. I've been building systems for 10 years and this is my second fully watercooled machine. And though my reg expired here, I was a member of these forums since more than ten years ago, when I wrote video game reviews here.

Obviously I do not mention these things at the outset because in a civilized conversation between normal people, it is not necessary to list a resume before pointing out issues with software implementation. Your program is easily the best video card OCing utility, which I have been recommending for years since it was called Rivatuner; doesn't mean there can't be issues with it.

15. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Guest

GPU:
    MSI N470GTX
    thx for the update!

16. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    I agree with Matrices.

Edited post due to someone not being able to take critiscm only give it out.

Afterburner for me deleted, not to be used again.

17. Unwinder

You know, i spent last two days in the forum addressing stupid things on unofficial overclocking while having a flu and 38C. And I'm asking myself again and again why I'm such an unprofessional idiot and wasting my health on attempts force the next newbie to read something documented instead of just spending my time with family. I'm 100% done with that, nobody but MSI employees will give you the feedback here since now. Dealing with documentation haters is not my profession/job/obligation, genius. Hope one day you start supporting something public and DEEPLY feel on your own skin what is professional and what is not.
    Hilbert, my account on guru3d can be removed. I won't post anything neither here nor in any other forums. Helping people is a waste of time :(

p.s. Btw any of those who ever came here with statements about upprofessional support/coding always have a chance to backup his words with his own input into the product support right here. Sadly, I've never seen any of you ib this section after dropping such words.

18. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Hope you get better my friend and I HOPE to see you back real soon.

19. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I hope you'll reconsider.

Being able to use forums on the internet is a great asset but unfortunately there's a downside. While information is easily transferred correct emotional content is not. Words are taken personally and there's an inevitable escalation.

Intelligent people who would likely get on very well in real life often butt heads on forums due to this.

We all know that but it's tragically easy to forget.

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    what a mess, this thread is worse than the old screenshots thread used to be with grief, i can completely understand Unwinders decision, the above posts are a disgrace.