X58 Owners - Will you update your current platform ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Gainward, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Gainward

Gainward Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX470
    It's a questionnaire :nerd:

Will you update your x58 platform to the Sandy Bridge? Do you think it worthy?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. Gainward

Gainward Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX470
    For me, I won't :) i'm gonna wait for the 2011 platform,

But in all honesty, the 2600K Is sexy :D

3. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    No , I dont think 2600K is that faster than i7 920-960.

I think a 3.4Ghz 920-960 outperform a stock 2600K , so its all fine :D

And I dont have money too.

Btw 2500K and 2600K overclock is fantastic , but im happy with 3.8Ghz-4Ghz.

Sure 5Ghz+ is awesome , but isnt needed.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    nope it the cases where it comes to raw power its ~18-20% faster compared to i7 at same clock, for example 3.2ghz.

well atm it looks like LGA2011 is more of a server type socket and not enthusiast replacement for LGA1366.. and you know how it goes with server type mobos and cpus = $$$$$$ lol:D

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Will there be any Sandy Bridge i7's for the LGA1366 platform? So far I have only seen them for the LGA1156 sockets...

If they do release a Sandy Bridge i7 for the 1366 platform, I maybe tempted to purchase one, as I was an early adapter to the X58 platform. I have a Core i7 920 C0 stepping. The prospect of a 32nm CPU clocked faster at stock is very tempting if the price is right... Of course I would OC it :banana:

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yes there is a possible LGA1356 socket Sandy Bridge-EN (High end desktop)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#32_nm_Sandy_Bridge

[​IMG]

and this, check below - lga 1356
    [​IMG]

btw in wiki it says max ~51gb/s for both lga2011 and unknown apparently LGA1356 socket..

7. LuckyJack_tx

LuckyJack_tx Active Member

GPU:
    HD6870m 1gb
    Wont update for a while. just update graphics:biggun: as i just did 2 weeks ago

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    It sure is, and im very tempted since I think I can still sell my cpu/mobo/mem at a decent price although at a loss from what I bought it of course..But then given my budget, I think I can only buy a midrange SB mobo like say a P67-UD4, which is nice and all, but I've only had my Rampage III Formula for about 3 months..and I've always had a midrange mobo prior to this...soo Im keeping it lol.I know the 2600k would trump my i7 950 but it'd feel more of a downgrade to me (mobo wise)..Plus the hassle of selling the old parts to get the new..(my Win7 is OEM too so its tied to my mobo)

But yeah, it sure is tempting..ima wait to see if there are faster SBs coming though..As I feel this is just the begginning of the processor wars for 2011. Bulldozer might pleasantly surprise us too..and Ive always wanted to go back to AMD since I started my first 3 PCs were AMDs.And considering that LGA 1155 is midrange, It could be worth waiting for the LGA1366 replacement be it LGA1356 or LGA 2011

From my understanding of the reviews, its 20-30% faster clock per clock..so to get the same performance as a stock 2600k, a bloomfield must be clocked at 4-4.4Ghz :) And hence why Im tempted to get a 2600K. (But then again there is the bulldozer thing and LGA 1356/2011)

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    nah, games dont even use i7 cores 100% so generally whats the point? also intel will no doubt bring out a new socket in 18 months making Sandy Bridge dead in the water.

Bulldozer looks very interesting.

10. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Yes my new kit arrives on tues and my old i7 kit will go in another build.

11. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    damn you technology, you change too much cant keep up with you! Only like revolutionary changes, wouldnt mind if they had sandy which is factory 5ghz or something. Anyone going from a i7 to a sandy has got too much money to burn, in a good way.

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
  13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Iv only just upgraded to an i5 lol I don't see point in upgrading again anytime soon I only upgraded to this because I built my niece a pc with the old stuff. I don't see any big games apart from yet more console ports this year, maybe bf3 will blow me away but still I think my system should be ok.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Clock for clock in gaming, the 2600k is about equal to the i7-950. The difference in ghz between the two (3.4ghz vs 3.06) is about 12%, which is about the same difference in FPS in the gaming benchmarks:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/6

15. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    I'll only upgrade when there a massive ground breaking leap in technology lol.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    According to rumors/leaked information, LGA2011 will be the new server socket...with LGA1356 replacing LGA1366. Performance wise...if you're running a Lynnfield Core i5/i7 or Bloomfield i7....it's hard to justify a recommendation to upgrade at this point. Possibly that will change with LGA1356....but until performance data arrives, that's still a hard sale in itself.

That will be Ivy Bridge....the successor to Sandy Bridge.

17. thobel

thobel Member

GPU:
    GTX 480x3 @900/1800/2200
    980x still seems to be king overall so no

18. Zom51

Zom51 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    I am not updating too, unless they come up with groundbreaking..jaw dropping new technology that will made me jump of out my seat :)

19. Gainward

Gainward Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX470
    2011 for the servers ! :3eyes: I didn't know that,
    In that case, my next upgrade will be the 1356 [​IMG] IF it will deliver some really HUGE performance that blows the X58 out of water

+1 :cry:

Even the Core2Quad isn't fully used by the games UNTIL now and it runs any game very well, but the point is (At least for me) is the Performance in the Folding, and that tempting me to the Sandy processors .. Anyway, i will wait for the 1356 :bang:

20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Ahh yeah, agreed, for non gaming, like folding or video conversion( although gpu is quicker ) then Sandy Bridge will be good, but for gaming in general i dont think its a good upgrade from i7.

I normally upgrade every 2 years, and ill have this rig for 2 years in May, but for the first time ever i think PC hardware has vastly exceeded gaming requirements, which is probably due to direct console ports