Anyone have a fix for artifacting in GTA IV: EFLC with a 6970?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by lmimmfn, Dec 28, 2010.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    ill give it a try, wouldnt say green are any better tbh, as both companies always have issues with new cards and my old 5850 i never had issues with and considering the cards are only out for 2 and a half weeks. 4x0 and 5x0 drivers for nvidia were really good when those Fermi cards were released but Nvidia had a whole 6 months due to Fermi delays to get the drivers right.

Im sure there will be some decent Catalyst drivers for the 69x0 cards in the next week or so

2. Nosgoth

Nosgoth Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX Black Ed.
    I take it you read the "fix" in the forum you linked to?

"Solved, problem was a defective card, tried with another video card, problem disappeared, returned the card for RMA, received back, no problems now what so ever, confirmed the previous card which was causing these issues was defective, is anyone else has these issues your card may be faulty "

Seems unlikely to be the card considering it's only on the one game and GTA IV relies so much on the cpu, I guess the episodes are the same, strange that it doesn't happen in IV itself

3. Dead2

Dead2 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6970 2GB
    Plain GTA4 and 6970 running the 10.12 hotfix here.

I get some texture-less triangles flickering sometimes, but it seems like it is during the loading of things I have not seen before. Looks a lot like overclocking artifacts, but this card has never been overclocked (yet).

I have not seen any rain so far, those artifacts appeared without rain.

All in-game settings are at max (except traffic, thats at about 40-50 I think).

No other games have displayed any problems yet.

Looking forward to 11.1 :)

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    nah its not the card, i spoken to some mates and they have the exact same issue with GTA IV/EFLC with the 6970 and other forums are reporting it also.

Yeah rain in both the Episodes and GTA IV are corrupt/artifacting( my screens above are from GTA IV and TLATD ).

Hopefully will be sorted soon, im surprised it wasnt picked up in any 69X0 reviews as GTA IV and the episodes are quite high profile games.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I just tested EFLC TLaTD and it is a rain shader issue. When it stopped raining at the beginning of a new game, the artifacts went away.

It did artifact during the intro when rain was coming down.

It is weird that no one reported it during the reviews. I can't even seem to find a single review of the 6900 series with GTA4 or EFLC. Seems no one cares about this game anymore, despite how big of a game it is.

6. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Well, GTA4 is 2+ years old and isn't really the optimal game to use when benchmarking.

7. Amrut

Amrut Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gig
    I can confirm after installing the new 11.1 drivers the issue still remains. Lets hope AMD get this issue sorted with there drivers. I can live with 1 game having issues but it would be nice to have it all sorted.

8. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Well feedback is the best u can do, well i reported Call of Duty Black Ops Hanging issues on 57xxx series cards, surprised it was fixed in 11.1 WHQL drivers...

9. Amrut

Amrut Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gig
    Yeah i left feedback for there new and older drivers. Black Ops works 100% on my 6950 but GTA is an issue which is rather annoying.

10. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Ive seen those stars in mercenaries 2 aswell, not just gta

11. Louike

Louike Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 1gb
    I have the same issue with a 6950 1gb 11.1 driver. Rain is flickering red and green lights.

I also have grass growing out of cubs and sidewalks (also in a tunnel) is that a driver related bug aswel?

12. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    None of these problems with 6970 and 11.2

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah GTA IV is a terrible game when it comes to efficiency, definitely not a good benchmark.

Another stupid thing is EFLC should be built on top of the GTA IV graphics, even if it does update the textures etc, not just double up on everything. I guess the latter was much easier to do.

14. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Test

Sorry for little bump, but i have the same artifacts in GTA4 1.0.7.0 + drivers AMD 11.2, 11,4 early preview without OC on Win7, the same artifacts appear sometimes in Batman AA or Mass Effect 1 when i use max quality settings in CCC, but GTA4 is artifacting even without any settings changed... So what's going'on with 6000HD series?
    I have check card in Furmark stability test, and all is okay, so GPU is 100% stable without any artifacts...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  15. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Same issue for me, 6970...

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I'm getting the same red/green flashing textures in fallout nv and dirt 2 with the catalyst 11.4 betas. I've got a 6950 though and I get it regardless of clock speeds.

17. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Im getting the same thing in Far Cry 2, but only when using 4xAA... weird. If i drop it to 2x it works fine...

Should of gotten a 580... oh well

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    none with rain in GTA IV or EFLC?

I havnt had a chance to try it with the 11.4 betas( as i got fed up looking at the damn things ), but from the previous posts it doesnt look like its fixed.

I dont get these in any other game whatsoever( havnt tried Dirt 2 with the 11.4's either, but i do know Dirt 2 will get them if you OC too high, GTA IV on the otherhand does it no matter what the clocks )

19. MrBox

MrBox Guest

I can report the same issue with two 6950 2GB's that have unlocked shaders. It's not just the 6970. I got them on stock settings, also at 6970 stock settings, and OC'd quite a bit. I get them no matter what when the rain starts. For a second there I thought "not another dead 6950!!!wtf!!!!" until I realized it was just happening while raining. I used the weather cheat and it stopped. I ran OCCT immediately thinking the card was dying, and no errors.

GTA 4 freaked me out completely. I did NOT want to RMA yet another card. I think I'll buy the next gtx 590 revision when it comes out, or some 580 lightning's. Who knows.

20. Vertebrate

Vertebrate Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 6950 2GB
    I had this problem in both GTA IV 1.0.7 and in EFLC. I'm using catalyst 11.6 and the shaders are still not working correctly. I've got dual 6950s and at first I believed my cards were dieing. Nope.

Here's a workaround I posted on some GTA forums

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011