SSD or +4GB RAM ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Khr][st, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Khr][st

Khr][st Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
    Hello guys.

I was thinking about getting a second set of 2x2GB RAM for a total of 8GB of ram but today I got an email from an online shop that I frequently shop from with some holiday deals.

They have the Kingston SV100S2 / 64G for 99.5€, original price was 122€ and now I am thinking if it would be better getting the ssd and not the extra RAM.

What do you guys think ? Should I get the RAM now and wait for later in 2011 to get an SSD or get an SSD now?

Edit: here are the specs of the SSD http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/ssd/v100.asp

It has a Toshiba(JMicron) JMF618 chip

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    If all you do is gaming then you don't need more then 4GB of RAM, the extra 4GB would be sitting in there doing nothing. Unless you have some resource heavy program that actually uses more then 4GB of ram..

I really don't think it's worth getting an SSD until prices drop and majority are affordable. SSD's are like 5 times faster but at the current prices, hell no. Also it won't contribute to general performance. Programs, files, games, etc. will load/start faster but it isn't worth an arm and a leg(Maybe first born).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    SSD, the Sandforce drives like the Vertex 2 are very quick.
    Extra ram will net you no benefit unless you need more memory.
    For gaming on win7 3Gb is enough.

4. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    SSD as suggested.

5. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Go for SSD, but not that one. Look at one that is Sandforce based.

6. Mohammad.Taheri

Mohammad.Taheri Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070TI Nuke
    SSD
    3gb for gaming in windows 7 is enugh

7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    get the SSD

8. pooley

pooley Guest

GPU:
    xfx r9 fury
    +1 This.

9. Khr][st

Khr][st Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I previously had 6GB of RAM and I usually run a few Virtual machines with various OSes to test and learn so I don't use the pc only for gaming.

I think I will go for the +4GB RAM for now and get a better SSD later in 2011 as you said this one isn't so good.

I hope with the new year to see some new ssd's from the manufacturers better and cheaper :)

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Depends on which games you play and if you don't mind it using the paging file.
    I got some games where textures get cached for faster access where 4GB isn't enough.
    SSD should give you more though, specially if you run some games that have a lot of loading for caching going on.
    If you add up to 8GB memory on your 780i board, you will need to do some reading.
    Will take a while to find good timings and voltages to get them run stable and smooth with memory installed at the limit.
    Just saying that it won't be plug and play.

11. Khr][st

Khr][st Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
    Yeah I know but thanks for the info anyway :)

I previously had 6GB.

One set of 2x1GB Cellshock and one set of 2x2GB OCZ Reapers, both sets 800Mhz CL4 2.2volts and they where running fine without any tweaking at all.

So I think I would not have any problem with the kingstons which are just basic 800Mhz cl5 1.8volt modules.

I still have the Cellshocks but they don't want to play with the kingstons no matter what settings I tried. The OCZ died a month ago and I got the Kingstons I have now for a replacement.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you use virtual machines, then ya, more RAM would be great. I need virtual machines for school, hence my 8 GB of RAM. Though, I don't use all 8 GB, so I chunked out 1 GB for a RAMDisk to speed other stuff up.

deltatux

13. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    ID go for the RAM.

14. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    +1 for SSD. As a boot drive you will notice a major impact on system performance by upgrading to a solid state drive. Even running virtual systems 4GB ram is plenty unless you multitask on all of them at the same time which is unlikely.

15. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Those VM's are started from disks and will include TEMP / swap space. I don't now about the VM drive setup, being it real HDD's or images, but both will benefit more with SSD. Working inside any VM with an image is much faster with an SSD because seek times are limited :)

4GB vs 8GB is almost mood when you're running those VM's from a 10 year old storage device, think about that ;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I think deltalux is using those VM's for MOAC/MCSE.
    For production you wouldn't use SSD either, a good raid with SAS and in some cases even SATA drives is still a better option.
    Price and safety for performance.
    So far I only seen some of the pioneers in the industry use SSD, they can afford testing it.

@OP Kingston SV100S2 is gen. 1
    You should minimum get a gen 2 drive.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Depending on the VM software used, they will allocate from system RAM before swap space and if you run several VMs at once, it will start lagging. Trust me, it's happened to me before and was solved with more RAM lol.

deltatux

18. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

SSd's ftw, 4gb is more then enough for windows 7 unless you do rendering/video editing etc.. As for ssd's wait for the new Intel 25nm G3 which should be released in January :)

19. xiiirolls

xiiirolls Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX580+MSI GTX275
    Another vote here for SSD. By the way SSD value drop slower.

20. Khr][st

Khr][st Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
    Wow a lot of replies :)

For now I decided to go for the extra Ram and wait for the new ssd's in 2011.

Thnx for the help guys.