Looking for epic orchestral MUSIC pls. Like LOTR musics

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, Dec 21, 2010.

1. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
  2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
  3. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
  4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Ohhh, this topic feed me great with what iam looking for..Thank u all!

and pogo, thanx for thetool man ;)

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Two Steps from Hell - Dragon Rider.

Mass Effect 2 soundtrack.

7. Manta

Manta New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
  8. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    There's no such thing as epic music. Get it right.

9. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    TSO

not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for, but check it out, I think you will like it...

10. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    The Witcher OST.

11. methanol88

methanol88 Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 5850+sapphire 5970
  12. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Jerry Goldsmith's "Total Recall". Best movie soundtrack ever IMHO. Lots of action, lots of jazz, all mixed in a unique style. You can't miss it.

13. pato_721

pato_721 Member

GPU:
    XFX HD5850
    Jack Wall - from Mass Effect OST's
    As said earlier, The Witcher OST is great too.
    Oblivion and Dragon Age may have some of it too.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I am not really into this music at all, unless its whilst watching a movie. But I LOVE Summer Overture by Clint Mansell in Requiem for a dream. The whole soundtrack for that movie is exceptional - fits the movie perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7vF8zGeljA

15. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870

16. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
  17. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Sergey Rachmaninov.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  19. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I want to reiterate Holst's Planets Suite. Absolutely incredible and by far one of my favorite suites. I will admit it's cliche, but Mars: Bringer of War is my favorite piece from it though I'm also fond of Jupiter: Bringer of Jollity as it is pretty much the opposite of Mars.

Another composer who made excellent moving music was Sergei Prokofiev. He was extremely prolific and started composing when he was a child. The most famous are probably Toccata in D minor, Lieutenant Kije, Romeo and Juliet, Peter and the Wolf, and many others. I grew up watching the Disney rendition of Peter and the Wolf in fact.

One who has a mixed reputation (for how his music was eventually used and for his own personal beliefs) but who was very talented was Richard Wagner. The most famous work is probably The Valkyrie (Die Walküre) where The Ride of the Valkyries is probably what you are most familiar with from it.

Hector Berlioz is a more mild French composer. Still, absolutely beautiful. Symphonie fantastique is likely what you'd want to check out first.

Johannes Brahms is another German composer you may like.

Antonín Dvořák was a Czech composer you may also enjoy.

Johann Strauss I and his son Johann Strauss II both excellent Austrian composers. They might be a bit more your taste with a bit more excitement to their music. One example would be Strauss II's Die Fledermaus.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but regardless, Yanni has produced his fair share of very moving music. Perhaps I have a soft spot for this Greek composer because I grew up listening to his albums but I do stand by my word that he has produced some of my favorite orchestral music. Two of my favorite works of his are Keys to Imagination and his Live at the Acropolis album (which includes some pieces from Keys to Imagination). Santorini, Acroyali/Standing in Motion, Keys to Imagination, The North Shore of Matsushima, and Forbidden Dreams are all examples from those.

There are many, many more that I also enjoy. If you want some game music look into the Orchestral Game Concerts and see if you can't find them as they covered many of the greats of early Japanese videogaming from Final Fantasies, to Chrono Trigger, to Mario. For gaming composers check out Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu. Another Japanese composer with a massively prolific library to his credit is Joe Hisaishi, most notable for doing the music to many of the Hayao Miyazaki movies. His compositions for the various NHK learning shows, such as the ones on the human body (specifically The Brain), are excellent.

Finally, if you haven't seen Fantasia or Fantasia 2000 I strongly recommend them both. You get to see a movie and listen to some of the most beautiful music ever composed. I loved watching the original as a kid and I believe it's partially responsible for my love of orchestrated music.

20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT