Phenom II now "supported" on M2N-SLI Deluxe

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ST19AG_WGreymon, Feb 4, 2009.

1. nchw68

nchw68 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 465 in 2 way SLI
    Recheck the thermal compound for complete coverage. Make sure no software is keeping your cpu fan from speeding up.

I'm using the stock cooler that came with my system with Ceramique compound. My Phenom II X3 740 is now OC'd to 3.5Ghz but has only reached 42 C in Prime95. This will go up in Summer, though.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1531241

2. grolla

grolla Member

GPU:
    8800gt sli
    i use arctic cooling mx-4, without case only motherboard on the desk and 2-3 80mm fans over it.

i order noctua d14 for lowering the cpu temperature.

3. andrewshooter

andrewshooter New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800gts 320mb
    I could use some help. What method should i use to update the BIOS?

1. The User Guide says to copy AwardBIOS Flash Utility onto the disk along with the new BIOS and boot into DOS mode. The problem is that I am using Vista so I can't boot in DOS mode.

2. The official Asus website states: "When the system is at POST after reboot, please hold down "Alt" + "F2" to view the following image. You may start executing EZ Flash utility. Please place the floppy disk with latest BIOS inside and insert into the floppy drive." http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?no=503&SLanguage=en-us It is under the AFUDOS BIOS Upgrade Procedure link where it states that this is the correct procedure for AM2 motherboards.

Which of these two methods should I use or is there a totally different and more efficient way to do it? Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. grolla

grolla Member

GPU:
    8800gt sli

you can reflash your bios in two way

1) by ez flash installed in your bios. I use this method for this motherboard, it's the easyer way to flash.

2) by awdflash
    this is a link for format and create a Ms-Dos start up disk
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Format-a-floppy-disk

then take a new blank floppy, format that, then copy awdflash and new bios i'm use 5001 from asus support.

restart your pc and select boot from floppy, when finish the loading insert the another floppy with awdflash and type:

awdflash <namebios>.rom /sn/py/r

5. CodyPredy

CodyPredy Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire ATI R270X 2GB
    Won't disabling Cool n' Quiet also disable the power saving features. I'm interested in upgrading from my 5400+ but I would also like to have AMD Virtualization (VMWare purposes) and Cool n' Quiet on since I keep my computer on for weeks at a time.

6. raemen

raemen Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 640mb
    Hi I just bought a AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU for my M2N-SLI-Deluxe mobo. when i check CPU-Z it shows that my CPU is only running at 804MHz and the multiplyer is set to 4. So I try to go to the BIOS and change it to X16 instead of X4 and changed the voltage to 1.3. But when i started up cpu-z it still showed X4 for the multiplier.

So How can i get my CPU running at full speed? Now my memory is 3Gb i have 4Gb installed. Before putting the new CPU the memory was 3.5Gb now it's down to 3Gb. I need to solve this too. the memory says something about ganged DC mode, what is that?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  7. grolla

grolla Member

GPU:
    8800gt sli

if you wanna increase your multipler, you must use msr tweker or nvidia sys tool, by bios you can mod only the cpu voltage.

is normal if you use a Operation System at 32bit, for 4gb use a 64bit o.s.

8. raemen

raemen Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 640mb
    so where can i get it and how do i use the msr tweker?

(sigh) new problem...
    when the computer starts up and with my usb keyboard plugged in, it shows a system failed to post kind of error. But with the PS/2 Keyboard, it works. but i want to use the new keyboard without having that error. How can i fix that error when the USB keyboard is plugged in?

i am also starting to notice a bit of a hang at the XP welcome screen, after about 1 min of that it goes to the desktop. why?

also what is the average temperature for this CPU?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  9. grolla

grolla Member

GPU:
    8800gt sli
    where is write all can you need for overclocking
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=286970&page=14

i'm using a ps/2 keyboard with bios revision 5001 and i havn't problems. try to flash this bios it's same the more stabler.
    what bios revison you use now?

first try to flash a new bios then try a format your hard disk or cleannig by Ccleaner

for the temperature is based on step revision i'm using pII 955 C2 and it's very hot, with zalman 9500 the cpu temperature arrived at 50 Cesius degrease.
    for revision C3 maybe at default voltage and frequency 40 C.

10. raemen

raemen Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 640mb
    well how can i get the usb keyboard working because i am going to buy a new keyboard which is obviously going to be a usb type.

my bios is flashed to 5001. im guessing mine is a c3 because the temperature always stays around 40 at idle then increases to 45-52 C when it's under stress.
    ------------------------------------------
    does everyone have problems with the USB keyboard not working, after the bios is flashed to 5001?

EDIT:
    it was a virus that was causing the hang on the welcome screen. i'm also not getting that error anymore when the usb keyboard is plugged in. but i cant use it in bios still. now that is my only problem.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

11. Curt217217

Curt217217 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ult
    Just installed a Thermaltake Frio and took the CPU all the way upto 4.0GHz easy - idle'ed at around 39/40C mark with a load temp of 49. Great stuff - hope to get it to 4.1 / 4.2 mark but I may just leave it as is. Anyone wondering about purchasing a Frio for the M2N-SLI Deluxe, be warned that the second fan on the chipset heatsink side gives around 2mm clearance - which is extremely close, not to mention that anything that's not low profile RAM will not fit under the primary left hand side fan - theirs about 7mm clearance with low profile :S

I have just ordered a Crosshair IV Formula board to replace my trusty M2N-SLI Deluxe, so it will be a shame to stop looking in the thread, but I undoubtedly will anyway :3

Anyway, have a good Christmas :D

12. Virlidi

Virlidi New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB
    Hi all!

First: I'm new to this forum but I followed some of the conversations best I could to replace my good old 6000+ CPU:) . I'm now the proud owner of a phenom 965 c3 :roll:
    Thx for your efforts to make this dream happen!

Well to start. I installed the 965 125W with an Mugen 2 rev. b heatsink and some arctic silver 5 to make my CPU feel comfortable in my tower :)

I had some trouble with the BIOS settings but well, Cool n quiet is off, I'm bit annoyed cause I'm using a G11 keyboard but things work fine that far. I had the 800mhz Problem aswell but AceTK's post helped me solving this and now I'm setting multiplier n HT bus with Nvidia performance utilities and let them load on startup.

Current settings (CPUZ):
    3618Mhz
    Multiplier 18
    BUS speed 201 (in Bios 200?!)
    HT Link 1005Mhz
    vcore: 1.200-1232 (Jumping, but I'm running Prime95 while writing this ^^ ) !!! BIOS vcore is set to 1.350 !!!

Core temps at this very Moment are >=49C ( as I mentioned, I'm curently running Prime95)

Now, I'm wondering about the vcore. Which value is now the real deal? The one I've set in BIOS or the one CPUZ reads out? Someone mentioned that CPUZ might be the one to trut but I' better ask twice 'bout this....

Again thx for this masterpiece :D

PS: Currently running 3 sticks of RAM, GEIL DDR2 667 1gB (the fouth one got many damaged sectors somehow just before I got my new CPU -.- )

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  13. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Plug an old PS/2 keyboard in and turn on USB Legacy support.

14. AceTK

AceTK Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-560TI @ 1Ghz

Glad to hear you got everything sorted. Just so you know the voltage readout in cpu-z is wrong. I know this as even when I force the volts right up to 1.65v using the bios/k10stat and bios 0.1v offset it still only shows 1.46v. All i can say is be sensible about your voltage values and work backwards on your voltages after you find stability at desired speeds to find the very bare minimum stable clocks per volts. Try to find the minimum (k10stat) voltage value for each clock frequency regardless of the cpu-z reaout while testing with prime95 and then you have your optimal values in no time. Believing cpu-z voltage readout could risk overvolting, overheating and possibly cpu/mobo damage .

What ive noticed too is that the PII chips seem to like cooling more than voltage once they get over 53c ish. So if you are finding you are at about 3.8Ghz and u are topping about 55c it might be safer to give yourself slack. Even with my NH-D14 i can only just make 4Ghz and mostly unless im running a benchmark or a game that struggles in frame rate (not many of them atm, roll on crysis 2 hehe) I tend to run at 3.8Ghz so i know my cpu is not at its red hot maximum.

Another point you may or may not care about is power savings. Now you have the voltage locked in bios. This will of course raise your idle wattage from around 35w (0.85v)to about 80-90w (1.375-1.55v) wasting power just sitting idle when ordinarily CnQ ramps the clocks down to 800Mhz and the volts to 0.85v. If you dont lock the voltage in the bios and you use k10 stat to manually switch multi and volts using nvidia tools and k10stat respectivly right before you start a game or finish a game and start browsing again.

As for the bus speed and link speed they fluctuate on mine too. I also find a 1005Mhz HT link speed and a 201Mhz FSB although even though the FSB flickers by 1/2Mhz evey now and it does not make much diffference and after I use nvidia tools to force a profile itl calm down at 200Mhz for an undefined time.

Finally, those three sticks of ram. Now as far as i understand you can only run in single channel 64bit mode with 3 sticks. Ul either need to lose a stick or gain an extra one to get it to run in dual channel 128bit mode.

Anyhoo keep plugging and lets us know how you get on. :p

15. raemen

raemen Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 640mb
    Well I did turn on USB Legacy support but it still did not work. I can only use a PS/2 keyboard. Now I have a new Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, whenever I press a button on the keyboard at the post screens, I get that error:
    "..The fileis corrupt or missing
    <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Please install a copy of the above file"

I used the recovery option from the XP CD and replaced that file with a new one but it did not work.

16. nchw68

nchw68 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 465 in 2 way SLI
    The Phenom II X3 740 can be added to the tested CPU list as I (see post at top of page) and another poster (post previous to mine) are using it.

17. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Added, thanks.

18. DJ-Lucas

DJ-Lucas New Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5
    Thanks

hey guy i'm still running (9months) a 965 BE fine.
    still have to set the multi. and voltage
    but she is running good! sometimes it crashes and then i get a blue screen but if i go in to the bios and just go on "save and quit" it all fine again.
    i bought some new Ram (XMS2 DHP 2x2gb) and my comp is just like a dream now with my GTX470
    but i was wondering if ther is a better bios now for it then the 1802AM3

ty :)

19. Shinru800

Shinru800 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5770
    hi guys,
    i will be upgrade my system.
    i hava an Athlon 64 x2 6400 with M2N-sli Deluxe Board , so i

will know shuld i buy an 955 or an 970 x4 phenom II?

or shuld i buy an intel i5 2500K ?

which cpu is faster ?

pleanse halp me

ty

20. ccdcc

ccdcc New Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 5700
    Hi,

I have a M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with Phenom 2 X6 1055T and have tried the 1901 bios by thewiz.
    The bios detects the cpu but i cant boot.

Neither from a USB-pen or from my harddrive.

I have tried selecting different multipliers and voltage. But still no luck.

Anyone have any idea to what i'm missing?

Thanks,
    Brian