Introducing myself and showing off my project

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by enderswift, Sep 14, 2010.

1. enderswift

enderswift Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 4850 512
    ah gotcha lol.

Yea sometimes reading through a thread is pretty tedious. But I was hoping this one would be a little bit more interesting than some of the more common ones I've noticed on this forum like "I'm building a new computer, what parts are good?". I'd Imagine those get pretty boring after a while :3eyes:

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I think it's cool that you try to optimize it without any sinks first, that gives a clear picture of the oils capability.
    The design hurts my eyes a bit (I'm an old blacksmith), but I guess if you get some really good results with this project, you might get someone to make nice frames etc. for the rig.

3. enderswift

enderswift Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 4850 512
    heh I dont follow the form over function mantra. I like it when things look the way they do because they have to. Also, I dont have access to as many tools as I would like. So my manufacturing capabilities are pretty limited. Heck even making the base took 4 hours of measuring, cutting, and sealing.

4. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Very nice, even if you end up going with heat-sinks, it looks like your still going to make it your "own" style.

I wonder if the coolant isn't staying on the chip long enough to absorb all the heat?

Whats the ambient temp of the coolant once it's been running for a while?

5. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    You have an old socket P4 and an overclocked 9700, no wonder things are warm. I found that even a mild overclock on my 9550 would send the GPU temp from "pretty warm" to "burns my finger". :p

I also think surface area is the problem. I don't think that bowl concept would work very well, simply because the pipes transferring the heat don't have direct contact with the oil. If the pipes were suspended in the oil, that might be all the difference.

Another idea I had was to just buy a strip of copper, and stick a heat-spreader over the CPU and NB.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    really good idea here, but to lower temperatures, couldnt you install heat sinks on and get the oil to run off them?

7. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    I like the exposed silicon idea, sadly the cpu has heatspreader. Still think it's nice, and doing it on mild-old hardware is even better, failure doesn't kill thousands U$S

8. enderswift

enderswift Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 4850 512
    Hey everyone,

as promised I'm going to be making some more progress on my oil comp. So far I've done a bunch of small stuff that was bothering me before. For instance if you take a look at the picture below you will notice a black diffuser catching the oil before it hits the lower reservoir. Its purpose is to slow the flow and turn it into a nice sheet to prevent splashing. I've also found a good check valve and placed it on the lower right corner of the radiator so now I no longer have to worry about the chips over heating while the pumps fill the loop. The intake filter has also been slightly modified in that there are now two filters connected in series that make it a little easier on the pumps. The most obvious change however is the addition of my redbull legs. I opted to raise the whole thing in order to free up some room on the desk. It was pretty cramped otherwise and I get a bonus benefit of being able to monitor all of the gaskets.

heres the picture:

[​IMG]

some of you may notice that I'm running a different graphics card. I down graded to a geforce fx 5200 because I accidentally broke a memory module on the 9700 while removing ram sinks. oops :nerd:

as far a future plans go, I want to consolidate all of the different fasteners into metric bolts with large diameter, low profile heads. That way the whole thing will look cleaner and the gaskets will have more surface area to work with. I also have a new set of hardware that I'm planning to switch to. It includes an asus a8v-e deluxe, an athlon 64 3500+, and a radeon x800 xl. They're nothing spectacular but I'll have 64 bit and the option to upgrade to dual core in the future. The graphics card will be good enough play some of my favorite games too :) Its funny that the parts I just mentioned were once part of the all-out ultimate super computer I built back in 2005. Its crazy just how fast this stuff moves sometimes...

But anyway I still havent tried silicon oil but I think you guys would be interested to hear that heatsinks didn't help with with temperatures too much. You'll notice that I have a small ramsink on my northbridge, which hasn't done a thing temperature wise. I was expecting at least a 1 c drop but I guess its just not enough surface area. I wish I had the resources of a company R&D division to explore all the possible heatsink designs and make the most of this. But what can you do.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  9. enderswift

enderswift Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 4850 512
    [​IMG]

heres an older picture that shows the redbull legs a bit better. Note that the the baffles in pic this are from when I first got the idea to make them, which is why they look so bad.

[​IMG]

This is my 9700 after I ripped the memory module off. I was trying to re-purpose the ramsinks for use on the main chips until one of them took a memory chip with it. I'm sure my expression was priceless when that happened haha. Problems like this arise non stop when you try to make something from scratch.. In a way its half the fun

10. Vhaara

Vhaara Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480
    I kinda skimmed through the pages but i swear I've seen you somewhere else...

Anyways! Excellent work! Looks very interesting!

11. enderswift

enderswift Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 4850 512
    thanks!

and I go by the same screen name on 6gc.net, maybe you saw one of my threads on there or something

12. Firstperson

Firstperson Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080 Super
    I like it, very fun / cool idea.