Looking for a new quiet case

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lehtv, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Vhaara

Vhaara Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480
    Yeah, Omagana is right. You could try your hardest with everything, but if you have a loud card, etc... it ain't gonna do much. I would recommend getting an after market cooler for your 4870x2.

2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I'll consider that option when I have the case and see how it actually performs :)

3. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    just saw the dark fleet series for the first time and i really like them

4. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I know for a fact that Arctic Cooling (now simply Arctic) make some really nice GPU coolers: http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelero-xtreme-4870-x2-review-test/7 :)

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Bad cable management! Dont be like my friend who saw it once and ordered it online. When he got it in the mail, he hated it lulz. Its not cheap either...much better options for same or lower price range.

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Actually, I now realise that the loud card is not going to matter most of the time. When it's idle, I can't hear it over case fans and the CPU fan. As the load increases, it becomes the dominating noise in the room, but most of the time the graphics card is going to be idling. What I want is to not have the computer hum loudly all the time - when I'm gaming, I will be using headphones with a little bit of noise isolation anyway.

7. Vhaara

Vhaara Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480
    Then best solution is this, get the case you want, and stick it under your desk.

:)

8. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    No room :( If I have it under the desk, my chair and/or legs will bump into it all the time.

9. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    The Define R3 from Fractal Design is indeed built for silence and I saw a review of it once but the author concluded the temperatures are blatantly inadequate even though it is extremely silent. However, there were tons and tons of user comments all asking the same thing: why there was no mention of temperature results with extra fans installed.

EDIT: Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 looks like a valid alternative because more fans are already included in its price.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  10. ken.l

ken.l Master Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 4870

11. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Oh. In the review in bit-tech.net, they used just the default two fans and temperatures seemed fine for a silent case. Nowhere near the top of the pack like Antec 1200, but not the worst either. Could you link to the review you're talking about?

If the temperatures seem inadequate for me, I'll just install some silent fan on the side mesh (the fan controller of the case supports 3 fans).

I'm slightly worried by some design oversights though which were not mentioned in any professional review I've read but have instead been mentioned in other threads by customers who bought the case. Two complaints in particular: 1) that the fan filter for the PSU at the bottom of the case doesn't line up well with the fan of the PSU, and 2) that there's very little space behind the front panel door, making it impossible to install a fan controller in there.

Regardless though, the case fits the bill and should be just fine. And it looks pro too :>

Unless some other case is released or revealed in January that seems to compete with this one at <£100, I'll reconsider.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    ^ I don't have the link but now I come to think of it, it's more than possible it was the R2 and not the R3 in that review. Anyway, both only have two fans already included so I'm quite positive the R3 will not have sufficient airflow for a modern heavy system. For an HTPC or a moderate system, the fact there's only two can actually be a benefit but I'd say you're going to need an extra pair of fans at least. The R3 has room for 7 fans, 4 of which can be 140 mm so it's awesome.

13. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    They did improve the fans in the R3 compared to R2 to alleviate the cooling problems. My CPU isn't going to have problems, as it's efficiently cooled by Scythe Mugen 2. If the GFX card has problems I'll just put one fan on the side panel. And I only have two hard drives so they shouldn't produce much heat either