My issues with GTX460

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by FFKorax, Dec 15, 2010.

1. FFKorax

FFKorax New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX460 768MB RAM
    Hello to all :) This is my first post and I wanted to ask for some advice, I tried to get help first from the Nvidia forums, but only thing they told me there that my CPU is to weak -_- I will shamefully copy-paste what I wrote there ;)

My problem is GPU Load. I tested it yesterday in two games, Starcraft 2 and Alliance of Valliant Arms and fpp shooter based on Unreal3 engine. In both of these games average gpu load was 55% ,I wouldn't have anything against it, provided that framerate would be adequate, but 30fps to 40 fps average on High setting in Starcraft 2 is hardly adequate for GTX460 and in Alliance I get fps from 60 to 140 ,but sometimes it drops to 30, for a game based on Unreal3 engine this is very bad.

This was tested on Quadro 265.90 Drivers, but tbh on 260.99 situation is very similiar, framerates are a little worse then in 265.90.

Edit: was going to post specs, but I see they are already shown on the left :)
    Edit2 : I forgot to add, both of these games run at 1680x1050 resolution.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Tatsuya79

Tatsuya79 Member

GPU:
    GTX460@800/2000
  3. FFKorax

FFKorax New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX460 768MB RAM
    Good point, that would make sense, cause my SC2 fps didn't really change after swapping from GTS250 to my new GTX460 I was wondering why and blamed it initially on the not so good drivers, but I could be in error :)

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Why is GPU load such a hot topic these days? It dosen't mean anything. People need to stop using that stupid thing as all it does it cause questions...

5. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Yeah GPU load is a bunch of crap.What does everybody want?Their graphics card to run at 100% load all the time?I got 2 or 3 games that run 50-60% gpu load and they run fine.I dont play starcraft,but I play everything else and I run my cpu at stock 2.6 ghz and never have a problem with my 460.So I doubt theres anything wrong with yours when your running a newer cpu at 3.2.If we all needed the cpu to run at 4 ghz to run a game,they would all be clocked that high when we bought them.Probably 90% of the people that game dont overclock thier cpu.Its probably either the game or a driver problem.Just like theres thousands of people on the steam forums that cant run Black ops without studdering or lag,and it runs smooth as glass on my computer averaging 80-140 fps with 60% gpu usage most of the time.

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    True. I never even look at what load is on my GPU. Never had to before so why would I now? I don't even look at the load of my CPU, so where are all the guys cryig about CPU loads? So stupid, I wish guys would just shut up most of the time and just enjoy there hardware lol

7. FFKorax

FFKorax New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX460 768MB RAM
    Well, I can't and won't speak for other people's issues with this GPU Load, but if you would read carefully what I wrote [I presume you didn't] ,you would know I don't care about it, but I DO CARE about smooth gameplay on my PC ,seeing that my GPU is only working at 55% AND MY FPS isn't adequate I presumed that this whole GPU Load has something to do with it, that's all. I don't know if thats the real issue that's why I posted here asking for advice. Really ,some people need to grow up...

8. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
    sup mate

265 quadro have issues on some GTX460...

9. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc

i feel you bro , i saw your post on the Nvidia forums , that goddess bitch once again came in dissing your hardware as she always does not really caring for what your problem is, dont bother posting there as its truly a waste of time to try and get something that would look like help.

if ManuelG isn´t making up we should have a new beta driver in the beggining of next week , if they are like the 265.90 quadro they will do a world of difference , wait till there to see if the GPU load issues get resolved or not.

10. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    the point is if your getting 50% gpu load 50%cpu load on a single core but 30fps then what is the issue? enlighten me

11. chrishathaway

chrishathaway Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 @ 1105/1645
    I have a feeling, that its going to be the ram speeds that are letting you down, the 768 models are quite a different spec to the 1gb variants. I almost brought the 768mb model myself before I read up a little more on it.

Pretty happy with my 1gb version, but I only play at 1680*1050, i'm not sure the 460 is much cop for gonig much above that in reality, without performance degredation.

But if you are running a modest monitor like myself then they are bargain purchase.

I would suggest seeing if you can swap your 768mb for a factory O/C'd 1gb 460, you'll be a lot happier.

12. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    GPU LOAD has lots to do with it? Dont listen to those guys, the GTX460 have had issues with low gpu usage in some games with the latest drivers. Nvidia are on it, for me the 265.90 fixed this issue in BC2 and MOH MP, they now run great (60fps never dips) from having 40-50fps before, now my performance is perfect. We dont want our gpu´s to run 100% all the time, except when fps is lower than 60fps. I agree that if you have vsync and tripplebuffering and truely have 60fps, then yes gpu load will be lower than 100%, but not else. But as I said to OP, nvidia know of this issue and are working on it. Also one thing could be youre (pretty low) vram size, many games use over 768mb in some games with heavy textures and such. So test with msi afterburner to check how much the game is using of youre vram! ;)

13. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    Low gpu usage and those frame rates... Would be explainable if you used vsync and too high settings, 16xMSAA etc.

Last night I played a game with vsync on and card only got to 3D low clocks (not 3D performance) withone GTX460 - perfectly natural.
    How about 38-40C gpu temp playing Trackmania :)

14. FFKorax

FFKorax New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX460 768MB RAM
    Hi, thanks for replies :) ,never tried running games with vsync on, guess that's some habit from the past with CRT monitors and vsync dropping frames like crazy back then, when I get back home gonna see if I can get more stable fps with it turned on.