AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Konrad321

Konrad321 Banned

Which games?

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I got COD:BO, Crysis, BF:BC2, DAO, Batman, Wolfenstein, MOH, COD 2, BIAHH and Singularity, but I actually tested them all against the 4.51 experimental
    now and I just cannot find the EQAA having any affect as you said. So, I am incorrect here probably. Perhaps, I changed something else while I was testing
    to get the FPS difference I was seing back then could explain why I think EQAA was causing the drop.

-edit-

Correction, looks like SSAA was gone after 10.9 WHQL.

-edit-

Just made compare screens on DAO seems there's no difference at EQAA enhancement, doh..

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. Konrad321

Konrad321 Banned

SSAA working fine here for me...

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, I can't get it to work for some reason as it used to work on 10.7a and 10.8. It just doesn't apply maybe I need reinstall been messing around a bit on currently installed driver at my system. :)

-edit-

Further more actually I think I need to learn a bit more on all the builds since 10.9. Seems I cannot understand the new builds too well or as well as old builds on 10.7a times.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

5. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    This 4.51 is a gem anyway, TwL. :thumbup:

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Seems more like the driver is designed so it only works for Cayman.

@TwL did you try with a blank cap yet?
    Although, I think it is coded more like a restriction check, so might work if the card id gets faked to the driver.

7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    If you could refine 10.12, that would literally be the most perfect driver ever.

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, but I believe this 'feature' is forced by the driver to be allowed by the CAP to be functional at any means EQAA that is like a introduction for new games in future 'We have EQAA in this for HD6'-style. I've tested the blank CAP, but I don't see that as an way to go. More like we would need to take a look on CAP and rebuild it a little including the application it uses.

Just looking on to them looks pretty decent. I think think 10.12 might be worth a look, but the updates they made on release notes are like exactly
    opposite what exactly was improved which is really damn weird. Perhaps this baseline driver in itself just was better than others to fix several issues there
    was and so called 'Release notes' listing corrected OpenGL issues is just fixed but didn't improve at all.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  9. slamdunk1973

slamdunk1973 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1gb VaporX
    @TWL
    Re the flickering in COD:BO MP, i had been a bit of an idiot and didnt apply the change properly. setting the CCC to "application setting" for AA seems to have done the trick.

performance is more stable with this driver in all the games i play. still need to do a little run in BFBC2 to check DX10.

kudos again.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    10.12 seems to do pretty well with D3D on my end compared to earlier releases, as long as I don't use MLAA that is.
    Which OpenGL games would be good to test against (got a few on the shelf)?

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    The D3D is good as the 10.12 baseline was always good. As said it's really weird thing what ther release notes states and the reality is quite different. As for OpenGL well, you'd be better off with benchmarks as the so called improvements are to so high level of OpenGL there's probably no game in this earth which would be utilizing even fragment of it. It's rather funny even why they develop it so much it's developed more to some pet game project and linux nerds to play with support than anything really used in this world.

Funny also on MLAA, EQAA etc etc.. Like only some moments ago we were talking about Temporal AA and EdgeAA levels to be applicable and speed of real gaming with quality and now we are talking about MLAA and new methods they provided us. I honestly don't see anything changing with MLAA or EQAA like "When they start doing downgraded AA levels" -let me know, heh. Although, MLAA does serve the purpose, but the thing is it still doesn't work exactly where other levels of AA failed previously. So, like what was changed again? :bang:

@commonly

Hmm, we will not change the driver for Final Build of Experimental v4.51.

It will be under next version for driver changes as I still need to learn more on how the new actually works through. I am testing the 10.12, but it will
    not be the next build from me unless some miracle happens. Currently improving the understanding a bit on several scenarios of new driver and we
    will have a pretty decent boost on previous even while a single HD5850 spins anything anyone can run here with even current experimental build, but
    speaking of moving the stress a bit more to CPU.

(might note also here that I am yeah, dropping drivers to community, but as I started this topic I am still building better drivers for myself in the first
    place. So, new will be up when I see them fully functional on my end. No need to ask when the drivers are out. Answer would be I don't know.)

a small offtopic side note to people with Intel Cores with HT and Gaming:

People who runs these Intel Hyper-Threaded cores. I would like to note that when you have an 8-12 core system HT cores are A. a lot slower and B. when your application/game utilizes cores 1-4 this means it uses 2 cores in your system and lags 2 HT cores behind. So, as for currently there's only like handful of titles which even understands over 4 cores I would suggest disabling the HT from BIOS, if you feel like you want the games to get some true CPU processing power from all threads game requests.

I even took a hit and dropped 3 hours testing on subject with BF:BC2, some codemasters titles and well bunch of other games which actually understand more than 4 cores and there's not a scenario existing there that the 4 real CPUs wouldn't process exactly as fast (in matter of fact usually faster) than utilizing the Intel Hyper-Threading technology. I even found couple of new titles which were optimized so that they utilize ONLY the HT weaker cores purposely to show slower performance which was pretty funny.

12. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Experiencing a bit of stuttering issues in FIFA 11 mate
    No frame drops tho :)

13. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    No frame drops as in my Vsync is on so its stuck at 60.
    But still there is some minor stuttering which wasnt present before :S

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    using an HD resolution(XXXXx720 or XXXXx1080p) to start the game? I tested this this game it's quite an code horror even while functioning pretty well.

As for if there really is an issue by driver and not in game well wouldn't be surpriced v4.51 is still an experimental driver. It'll improve later when I get these versions from AMD/ATI straight to my head.

@commonly

Hmm, if anyone has one of these HD6970 cards would be really curious does the EQAA work on these cards as is under Experimental v4.51.

15. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    @ twl

yes i start and play @ 1080p :)

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, I'll checking out today tomorrow what ever. Although, I doubt there's any issues with stuttering. This is something else you are seeing there. I admit the current build is an experimental, but heck it ain't that experiemental. :)

17. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Its just minor stuttering not too much and also i experience wierd screen shakes during shutdown and sometimes during startup when the blue windows screen loads up :S
    Using win7 x64.

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    lol, isn't that the regular windows loading? haven't ever seen Windows loading where screen wouldn't of shake when you come to login screen as display is initialized.

19. Anthrax27

Anthrax27 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    @ TwL

But it never happened to me in your previous driver releases mate :S

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    most be some unique install as I don't get that on my end using Windows 7 x64. Sad I don't own the FIFA 11 Only can test the demo and that seems to run pretty good.