What happen to the 5970

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SabotTx, Dec 15, 2010.

1. SabotTx

SabotTx New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5970 2GB
    Seem this card is fading from retailers. I thought it was the flagship? I thought it would be around longer than a few months.... What happen? Bad design?

My 5970 is awesome, I have yet to need more power. I play FPS's at full tilt without a pause. I have a 5850 that I might Xfire some day but I don't need it yet. Just wondering what is going on with this card.

2. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Fading how? If you mean from shop shelves, then that is because it is end of line, new cards are out/coming out.

Oh and get that 5850 in if you have you just have it lying around

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. SabotTx

SabotTx New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5970 2GB
    it's an extra from my son's computer. I am getting him a 470 GTX for x-mas. (So I can have the 5850... ;) )

Old news... dang the video card product has a very short marketing life span... months...

4. SureFireT1000

SureFireT1000 Member Guru

GPU:
    TRI-FIRE 5970+5870
    Nice setup you have their SabotTx ! The only place I can see the 5970 is some online retailers like newegg and to tell you the truth I have never even seen one on shelves here like at frys or microcenter. I had to get mine from newegg.

Oh, I am from Texas too! :D

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    uhh, what are you talking about? the 5970 wasnt launched a few months ago, it was launched around this time last year.

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    The card is still in stock here, im thinking of getting it instead of GTX580 cause 5970 beats the GTX580 in benchies and 3Dmark11. But my problem is the card is too long for my case, maybe i can change that and mod my case.

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    @signex you'll also need to upgrade that 500w PSU too

@ OP most retailers wont stock such an expensive piece of kit but will probably order one in for you if you want one as with most etailers who list in stock it's not what they have but what their suppliers have

8. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    dont do it mate, limited memory per core/ multi gpu/ bad drivers cause lots of problems games. Real world performance aint as hot as the 3dmark benchmarks lead you to beleive, you will be in a world of pain with the awful xfire support and problems, and most fixes are resolved by disabling a gpu! not to mention microstuttering, powerplay.

I got thru a lot of games in the year i had the 5970 and pretty much 50% of them needed something fiddling with to get to work right let alone get the most out of the card. Bugs and issues dont get resolved with each driver release just swept under the rug while more bugs are made. GTA4 runs like crap from 10.4 and above iirc! Not saying its ATIs fault with the dual gpu support on games, SLI might be just as bad if not worse! I wish i got the 5870 last december for a lot less money. Probably getting the 580 now the 5970 has been RMA

9. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I've switched from a 5970 to a gtx580 and it was the best thing i've done.
    ATI drivers are pretty bad in multigpu.

10. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    TSMC 40nm chip production isnt very good. And is the only one available. It was suspected that once the HD6xxx started to going out, production would shift from HD5xxx to HD6xxx fast, putting in EOL the HD5xxx series faster than usual when the appropiate HD6xxx replacements were out in the market. Probably they're stocking HD6xxx chips to make HD6990.

Tho, my card it seems that pierced through AMD chards since there isnt any HD6xxx card to replace HD57xxx in the near future, or so the leaked charts make seem to be, partially cuz nVidia isnt doing well in the mid-low end market with their GTS450 (as opposed to GTX460, wich is a great perf per value card). So no rush to refresh that segment.