Wireless routers

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by scoter man1, Dec 7, 2010.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    My dinosaur wireless router finally gave up the ghost so I need to buy a new one. I was hoping someone could help me out by answer a few questions I have. I would like to buy a router that is capable of wireless N. If I get a wireless router like http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-+Wireless-N+150+Router+with+4-Port+Ethernet+Switch/9706754.p?id=1218154721479&skuId=9706754 would I still be able to use products that are B or G only? Are there any specific brands I should stay away from? Some of the ratings on newegg scare me a bit...

Thanks in advance

2. asje1

asje1 Member

GPU:
    8800GTS
    Wireless N are backward compatible with B, A & G by nature - likewise can run at both 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.

I recently brought a very cheap router to use as a access point, was stupidly easy to setup, nice small style.. for the price it was a steal.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201376

Do you have any special requirements? If your just looking for a run of the mill wireless router, then see the link above :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    If you have a laptop with onboard WiFi and Windows 7 then chances are you can turn the laptop into a real WiFi hotspot using the freeware tool Connectify but I guess you just want a separate wireless router instead.

4. ÆtherStone

ÆtherStone Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    It really depends on what you do with it.

If you steam media to a TV through a console or NOS and/or watch netflix or other streaming video providers wirelessly then you will want to go with a dual-band router. The 5ghz does not go as far since it is a higher band but more data can transfer through it because of its higher bandwidth and frequency.

However if you just stream music from device to device and also do wireless printing then go with a solid 2.4ghz n router.

The Valet series may look very corny however for setting up a network no router is easier and their transfer rates are commendable.

For dual band the e3000 linksys or the Netgear WNDR3700 are very good choices.

Personally I have the e3000 it is an amazing router, but be warned it requires some kind of stand, I used a netbook coolerpad to get air underneath the router to reach the fan otherwise it overheats and you lose connection strength