Leaked 6900 infos - architectur slides

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. DYNOMO

DYNOMO Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    I don't know why peeps are so excited by these new cards. There are no games that will take advantage of it so why bother.? Console ports don't need ubber dubber super graphics cards. Nothing caught up with the last gen cards as of yet game wise.

3. abcgum09

abcgum09 New Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 6970 2GB

Well you wont have to replace your card for a long long time and when the next benchmark murdering game comes out, you will be able to take it.

Il prob save up for the 6990 when it comes out.

4. garakust

garakust New Member

GPU:
    Any price for those new gfx?

5. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  6. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    If a 6970 served a purpose in gaming I'd buy one for BOINC, the massive point whoring would allow me to sleep peacefully for a long time to come. But it serves no real purpose in gaming, until more games are released that can make use of the power these cards offer.

I'll wait till next year and buy a 28nm, unless my wife's 9800GTX+ dies, which it might as drivers have started to crash from time to time. Last time that happened I had to RMA two video cards.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's a good score and it would be a boon for AMD if the card is as fast, if not faster, than the GTX 580. Great news I guess for HD 5870 looking for their next upgrade.

It would have to be twice as fast though for me to even consider switching back to AMD as I personally don't like their drivers as they're missing things that NVIDIA have had for years such as customisable per-game profiles and the whole CAP thing is just a mess IMO (i.e. knowing whether you actually need to install them or not). I just got fed up of broken games such as World in Conflict's single player which was still not working in the 10.10e drivers I tried with the latest CAP. In fact, the latest CAP broke it again! :bang:

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah doing the same thing. i could have gone back to single 5870 to avoid xfire issues but the 580 looks like a quality card to me. expensive so will be my only xmas present :)

9. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Lets not forget your comparing your single card Nvidia experience with your AMD Crossfire one.
    I've had a single card ATI since March and not had one issue with any game.
    My first ATI card for many years and loved every minute of it.
    (I remember the worse card I ever had a 9800GX2, due to crappy drivers but I would not label nvidia cards as a whole because of it)

As for not having game profiles in the drivers... kind of a muted point since ATT and Radeonpro both offer that and much more.

As for the new cards, I'm gonna upgrade before xmas (to beat the VAT hike) i'll weigh up the pros and cons each, but i'll probably go for the best value and I suspect it'll be the ATI one, but i'm all for being surprised.

10. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    THAT CARD IS A BEAST, I CAN IMAGINE A CROSSFIREX SETUP DAMN....:nerd:

At almost 300W is a not go for me:3eyes:. If I will upgrade than only to a crossfireX system as I love it, therefore only after second or third revision when the cards will be more power efficient.:nerd:

Anyway my actual crossfirex will hold me for a pretty long time from now on.:banana: I don't see dx11 games that I'll be unable to play with my system or heavy tessellated games that will bring it to it's knees.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

just so you know it can be the same by nvidia..

Fallout3, Mass Effect1, Dirt2,...

Everything works with one set then in another its all broken, wow yes very good:p

Or 2 get fixed in next release, and now in this release there are new bugs that never existed, etc... but nvidia "gets away with it" because they put out so many drivers., and yet most of them are crap with a capital :bang:lol

12. goodald

goodald Member Guru

GPU:
    580 Asus DCII
    The power containment feature sounds interesting..

Appears that (like the i7) the gpu's total power usage will be measured and compared to the TDP so that it can determine if it's being pushed too hard.

The reference to outlier applications probably means that currently, Furmark or extremely demanding games have to be watched for and precautions added to protect the card in case those outlier conditions are met.

Now... The chip can just tell if the envelope is being exceeded and adjust accordingly.

This... is probably a good thing except in cases when your chip would normally have handled extra voltage easily but you are stuck with a predetermined tdp limit that may not match your chip's pedigree...

That said.. I've never felt the need to push the voltage my last couple ATIs, they've clocked pretty nicely without.

Probably won't upgrade to a 6970 straight away, my 5870 is fine for anything I do... Don't play any games with tessellation and no games push my system at all. In fact I've found most games pretty boring lately..

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  13. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Darren Hodgson
    Man I remember you!
    You had 2x5870 and now you have 580GTX, wich has lower performance level. I think this is FAIL

And yes:
    This is BS and you know that.
    :wanker::wanker::wanker:

14. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Are you saying nVidia drivers are totally bug free and are wonderful? If so why all these beta drivers? Could it be to fix whatever they keep breaking?

Don't be blind to nVidia's faults, neither are angels. In fact I prefer AMD drivers to nVidia's and I have two nVidia cards in house.

15. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    sigh, troll.

i went from a 5850x2 setup (overclocked to 1025/1125) to a gtx580, and im happy with it.

performance is better for me because i dont have to deal with this waiting months for a crossfire profile for a new game. i prefer to be able to jump straight into a game from the moment i buy it rather than leaving it on a shelf to collect dust or playing it and putting up with bull**** that we shouldnt really have to put up with.

if youre happy with your 4870x2 running on only one gpu for four months at a time because amd seems to have abandoned dual gpu cards in the latest drivers, then thats your decision.

anyway, back on topic. theres no way to know how reliable those 'leaked' scores are for 3dmark11. the only way to find out is by waiting for the actual card and benchmarks to come out. that and synthetic benchmarks dont really tell you too much aside from an improvement compared to your system's previous scores. its the game scores for the 6970 that i'd be interested in.

16. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Sir, in this topic, now, you are troll, because it's AMD section, but you talking about how it's good 580 :wanker: an how is bad AMD drivers :wanker:
    Yes I'm happy with my 4870X2 and I will be happy with my 6990 soon.
    In the end(january 2011) we will see, who will be a troll and who will be happy :eyebrows:

17. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I had a 5970 and switched to a gtx580 and I'm also very happy with my decision.

18. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT

Wrong section...

But comparing a 580 to a 5970 is pretty stupid...Comparing the 6990 to the 580 makes more sense.

19. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    It's not stupid when they are roughly the same price.

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    um no i said nv drivers are rubbish too, but they get away with it because they release so many drivers (betas).. and like i said most of them are crap anyway.

same goes for ati, they can make some ****ty drivers too, no doubt about that.

:nerd: