AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    25-44fps? You should get WAY more with a dual GPU setup.
    My single 5870 produces almost steady 60fps with V-Sync turned on, almost everything at Ultra Quality.
    GTX260 SLI is steady at 120fps with V-Sync on a 120Hz display!
    The stuttering might be another issue though, I noticed that LOTRO doesn't cache much into memory, neither with LargesystemCache turned on.
    So it helps to place it on a SSD.
    You could try LOTRO FlashBoost too.

PS. sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Von Dach

Nice work there, sorry, haven't been able to test, yet, but well good news is I will soon get needed equipment.

"Don't expect more fps but better image quality and responsiveness feeling. "

Well, ATI/AMD is cheating so damn much on cap, but then again >< situation here. They bring new crap on market while there's not even a fragment of driver development. Was laughting on local store when the clerk suggested me to buy new HD6750, heh, now at that moment I just couldn't figure what would of been more stupid suggestion. Considering now hearing also that whole new HD69xx series are having issues delivering chip/BIOS and driver, lol.

I sure wouldn't like to say it, but I sure hope people starts buying NVIDIA in quantity with GTX580 and hope they drop prices to level it's the only card to buy.

@commonly

Well, this damn hardware change thing took longer than I expected and had to change some hardware 'live', so, haven't even had a test box in past 9 days in matter of fact I am typing with 'Compaq EVO D510', atm. :)

Anyway, 'they'(the sneaky bastards at local hardware stores) said maybe get all crap to table for tomorrow. So, I'd say thursday at latest, if everything works out as should. Since the day stuff is in my table it'll be build count couple days to settle on around 4,4-5.0Ghz.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Frankly there is no much work still to be done, will all those correctives found and proofed in the last 2 weeks, personally, I can say I'm now 100% issues free and smooth as melting butter. Maybe you can find a way to disable HPET at Windows level for mobos having HPET ON enforced with no BIOS option to disable it (ACPI\PNP0103). It's managed in HAL I think. Registry keys surely exist to disable it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    ok, now you totally dropped me. What does HPET has to do with anything?

5. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
  6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    So, your conclusion to end of GPU driver tweaking is to turn to tweak entire PC (Not that it's a bad idea, but kinda off the point I think) ?

Either way I do think HPET is least of the worries here. Nor is C1E or EIST or any of the other CPU features. Those are for CPU overclocking enhacements/power save features, if the machine is slow because of them now that's whole another story there.

As for disabling by force you could try list the devices with 'devcon' or disable in system devices. However, whole point is to disable it on BIOS not at OS and that would need BIOS modification and that would be too much to even consider.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  7. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Windows 7 have only ACPI APIC in Hal.inf, so the old method of devcon for Windows XP won't work I think.

The Power Management features are not gamers friendly, they are implanted for office, server, web users PCs. They cause issues in games, not big ones but enough to consider disabling them by serious optimizers. If you add all those little tweaks who change small mishaps, it start to be a big improvement.

Yes what can you tweak that will improve smooth performance even mroe after all that (Cleaner registry, No CAP, IQ+++, BIOS Tweaks, No CCC)? What did I miss?

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    heh, bah... It works, although as for HPET it doesn't even affect Windows 2K/XP in a sense only Vista/7.

Yeah, but we are not talking about 'optimizers' or 'System' or even 'Windows' you are still speaking of several whole another type of ideas here. Where the point is to tweak GPU nothing else.

If there would be an CPU, Windows Core, other driver/hardware level tweaks for people I do not think this would be the right place for them as you could write 500 page book about subject/why/how and what to change on even newest of systems.

9. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    If it work tell me how because I can't figure it out (and I really think it can't work on Win7).

"serious optimizers": human modders, not optimizing softwares.

10. offmarsboy

offmarsboy Member

GPU:
    HD5850 @ 850/1200mhz
    what drivers do you recomend for an 5970??

11. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    I don't have a system with HPET, but there is plenty of info about it in the audio recording forums. HPET can cause big spikes in DPC Latency, which is very uncool. See the utility and info here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml.

TwL has a good point though when he says these types of tweaks are beyond the subject of an optimized video driver.

<edit> Oops I just saw the posts on this subject over in Von Dach's topic.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  12. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Your GPUs are part of a bigger system, if you choose to tweak only the driver for it and don't care of issues related to it in the whole system, you're gonna turn in round long time... that's a (bad) personal choice, not a good point. People are free to turn HPET on or off, as any other tweak, at least some have investigated his potential effects and reported it for the benefit of who cares. General tweaks is not a "500 pages" affair, concise gamer tweaking fit in one post, I did it myself... but here (this thread) i only speak of those tweaks who are directly related to GPU smooth functioning (HPET, C1E) in the whole system.

13. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    I don't know if I was understood correctly, but for the record, I'm in favor of any tweak that helps performance, whether in the GPU driver or anywhere else.

14. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i agree with you, i apreciate the time you take on telling us these minor tweaks to further enjoy our pc experience, the hpet disabled on my system did lower the latency on my pc from 130 to 8 and i have experienced an overall system responsiveness, even tho it has nothing to do with the video cards driver, its often good to tweak the whole sistem too so i can carry out the drivers tweaks, at the end drivers, hardware, Operative sistems, all come together so its inevitable not to talk about it,

example supose the driver is all good and works like it should, but the damm latency is high like a mofo, and well it produces lag, and then you complain about ati of such burden, and all the time it was just HPET un win7 doing all the problem, hows ati gonna know if u have hpet or not enabled in your pc?
    now i know this is cheap of me to say but its just an expample of what does really happens.

i remember making a thread here, asking the real gurus of 3d staff of how they have their machines setup, ive asked them how and what tweaks they used in their gaming rigs, sadly my thread turned into a ´´uselless`` questions thread and well none of the staff here answerd, but makes you wonder how wonderfully big numbers come up in the reviews of video cards, and wen the readers like myself gets that video card setup in a similar sistem, doesnt get the results of the reviews.

@Twl; its like the recomendations you gave of not installing certain patches for win7 that can make some funky performance drain, it has nothing to do with video cards, even so you recomended not to install them. like i said before it all just comes together, and i certanly dont think its a 500 page bible of tweaks just to get some decent performance on every joes rigs

15. TheStrelok

TheStrelok New Member

GPU:
    MSI 4870 1GB
    For the HD3X/4X builds, what does this mean:

Does "4xxx X2/generic ONLY" mean only X2 of the HD4000 series or the HD4000 series including the X2 versions?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

16. subfire91

subfire91 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Powercolor 4870 1GB
    Can you list these tweaks briefly or is just HPET and C1E? Furthermore what do you loose by turning them off?

17. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Explanation here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3770113&postcount=2

C1E & EIST: you increase energy consumption a little bit but not much because it's more a CPU loads affair.

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, I have to say I very much disagree on the 'GPU is just a part of system' based arguments here in big time. I do understand that this is true but we should not tweak anything else in here at AMD/ATI Driver section than the AMD/ATI display driver and problems to the driver in itself.

Tweaking another part of system is another deal. I do not believe we should even go anywhere near the subject on this topic as it has nothing to do with this topic. The fact that you can make your entire machine process faster belongs to 'System Tweaking'-section or WWW-pages.

and to respond to @xodius80 question in above:

"its like the recomendations you gave of not installing certain patches for win7"

No it has absolutely no similarties. I made those suggestions based on how an driver core functions more stable against driver installs/uninstalls and how an memory from and to GPU is stabilized over the driver update(chipset PCIe). The concepts are not written to improve the system stability, but specifically GPU.

Anyway, I am saying this again to everyone. If you want:
    * "System tweaks" look to pages like blackviper.com or search in a google
    * "Hardware specific tweaks/boosts" look accordingly to specific
    hardware you got on forums / google.

I believe that these areas of expertise are so huge topics that there are not even books existing or all the concepts where I think Koroush Ghazi came incredible close by writing 'TweakGuides Tweaking Companion' to even start understanding of hardware. Should be separted and worked separately by person reading first comes the core system and then the rest of the hardware.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  19. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hi twl, what does these win7 updates do anyways, ive tested with and without them my sistem playing bc2 and WoW, i see no diff, and another question, these updates mess up the ati drvers once installed? ,so like i have to go to the procedure of:

1 uninstall Kb updates
    2 uninstall Drivers
    3 clean sistem drivers
    4 install drivers

or is there no necesity of this?

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    There was 3 MS KB updates which caused issues with the driver installed. Basically they are impossible to be removed (and seems MS already has removed and updated them to MS update). Ideally while installling system/system core updates they should be installed with no ATI/AMD drivers installed or in same manner when it comes to audio bus updates.

Anyway, those 3 updates were marked as the updates themself made systems crash and GPU specifically malfuction. So, people would understand that problem never was on GPU driver in itself, but in core they installed the ATI/AMD GPU driver to (on the time being when there was 'bad' updates and where to look, if such issues started occuring).