I7Motherboard with DDR2 slots?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by bluemage32, Nov 11, 2010.

1. bluemage32

bluemage32 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    i7 9xx?

Answered my last post so just edited this for new direction.

I am going to get an i7 9xx series processor. I assumed that the higher the number the better it is.

But well searching I have seen alot of the higher numbers cheaper or the same as the lower numbers in the series.

I was wondering. Which one should I be getting. 150-250 price range please.

I have a gtx 470, haven't got a motherboard yet. I am aiming for the Rampage II or I might settle for a $150 price range motherboard if not.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    im not sure there is any board with ddr2 support since the ddr3 controller i think is on the cpu

3. bluemage32

bluemage32 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Dang. I did a quick google earlier and saw there was one that is AMD and there was another link that showed an intel one.

The amd one looks legit but the Intel one I think was just an error in stat displays because every other site had the exact same board with ddr3 on it.

Dang I have to go eat with the wife and baby now. If anyone knows if there are any other boards that might do this let me know here. Otherwise I will have to suck it up and try to sell my ram :/

4. imjune

imjune Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460/768MB/SLI
    Not a chance dude. U better sold ur 8GB, and u'll still get a nice 6GB in return. 2GB less but u'll get increased bandwidth.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    bandwidth doesn't make up for lost quantity....lol

Core i7 processors use an on-die DDR3 memory controller. It's simply not possible to find a motherboard able to use DDR2 and Core i7 processors.

6. pooley

pooley Guest

GPU:
    xfx r9 fury
    ^+1 i7 cpu's only use ddr3.

7. bstaletic

bstaletic Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GTS 250 / 1 GB
    Sorry if I'm late.
    There is just no way to find DDR2 mobo for i7 CPU. If you are wondering about the prices of DDR2 and DDR3, this is how the thing are here, where I live: If you are looking for new modules, both types (DDR2/DDR3) are the same price. So u can sell your memory for around 150 euros, and for +30 euros you can buy the same amount of memory (8 GB).