Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 released!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Funky Doodle, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Funky Doodle

Funky Doodle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
    Change Log:

Uses JägerMonkey, a new, faster JavaScript engine
    - WebGL is enabled by default on Windows and Mac OS X. WebGL support requires an OpenGL-capable graphics card. Support for other graphics cards on Windows (specifically Intel GPUs) and Linux will be coming in a future beta
    - Certain rendering operations are now hardware-accelerated using Direct3D 9 on Windows XP, Direct3D 10 on Windows Vista and 7, and OpenGL on Mac OS X
    - Improved web typography using OpenType with support for ligatures, kerning and font variants
    - HTML5 Forms API makes web based forms easier to implement and validate

finally looks good!

2. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Anyone know if there's a glasser plugin for Firefox 4? I find the default theme dull without it. I wish they had stuck to that concept they released awhile back before the beta came out.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont know what you mean by glasser theme, But I D/L FF 4 beta 7 and I sorta like it dont know if renders any faster then 3 as I just start using 4, not fond of alot my plug ins not working tho, but what can you do.

4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    To those who test this..are the fonts still a bit messed up when compared to FF3.x?

5. marantz69

marantz69 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus ENGTX470
  6. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
  7. 3x3cUt0r

3x3cUt0r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Beta 7 is the official release (they reached a milestone), b8 still a preview.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the text looks different compared to 3.x dont look messed up but look different like size or font is slightly different

9. BlueIce1

BlueIce1 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X OC
    Beta 7 was just released. What you linked to is pre beta8. These are known as nightly builds. Once all the beta 8 blockers are fixed then they split the build off the trunk, run though test and if the build past the test beta 8 will be released while the build for the trunk will change to I would assume pre beta 9.

Text will be different due to different rendering from 3.X. It has to do with hardware acceleration with the graphics card. Text has improved from earlier betas though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    They removed the status bar.

NOT COOL.

I don't mind some design changes, but don't change things like the status bar. You can't even change it back. There were massive arguments over changing it yet they still did it.

Chrome would be great if they actually put NEW features in, it looks the same options the day they released it. And I'm sick of having to Save Files then go hunt for them and open them. Then clear my Download History.
    Add some more options dammit.

Looks like when Opera 11 comes out they might win some people back.

11. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Why would they get rid of the status bar!? It is genuinely useful. Not happy. Not sure what to do now. I want my add ons back so i might go to ff3... or ditch the whole thing and try a new browser.

12. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    usefull for what? o_O. I always delete it on opera and chrome doesnt have it. Only thing i find it usefull its taking screen space and looking at which link im going (both chrome and opera (via popups on mouse position or popping up status bar), and now too FF has a way to show it).

Unless you use it for other buttons... anyways maybe you can make a custom bar at down? xP.

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Well firstly it displays the links when you mouse over them.

Now they try to shove it in the address bar, so when you already have a long address in the address bar, and it tries to display another long address, then bah, doesn't look great.

The other one is that it shows any downloads you have going and the ETA.

Luckily, we have it back with Status-4-Evar Addon. THANK GOD.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/235283/

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    They should of left leaving the status bar as optional at least you get the choice

15. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Does anyone know if Firefox 4 is going to be native 64-bit?

16. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Win 64-bit support will be officially introduced in later 4.x branch versions as far as I know, so 4.0 will not have it. Although there are 4.0 x64 nightly builds but I guess that it's not quite ready yet for general public so they postponed it for later date :)

17. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'll check it out, but I was disappointed with b5 font rendering - it was really bad.

Regarding status bar, they could make it as in IE9 - there's no explicit status bar, but some stuff is displayed when needed.

--- UPDATE ---
    Font rendering isn't that terrible, but it's a step backward compared to GDI. I don't want them smooth aka blurry. I want them clear, easy to read.
    Companies like Microsoft spent a lot of time and resources on improving the way we read stuff from computer screens. They introduced font hints, so small fonts can be rendered properly. Unfortunately, D2D doesn't use hints and small fonts look pretty bad.

18. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I actually don't mind it, fonts seem much smoother. If only I could get Windows to render fonts like this... :(

19. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    that basicly also means firefox has become way less safe cous now people using new firefox would easy get scammed.

like clicking this link for example.

forums.guru3d.com

edit: oh did't read that it now shows them in adress bar.

20. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That or I hover over it and see in the address bar that your linking to youtube, mmk...

Though I agree there should be an option and it shouldn't be in the address bar by default.