Call Of Duty Black Ops - Poor Optimization!? - Low GPU usage!?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hayden202, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    this glitchiness is not your cpu imo. if it was the cpu, the cpu load would have to be a lot higher (as if the game were demanding more power than the cpu could offer).

in my case, its using all six cores at 40% ish (even though my CPU is at 4ghz), and its using my mate's 3.8ghz i7 at 40-50% ish too, so its nowhere near enough cpu stress to be causing these slowdowns.

not only that, the glitches and freezes happen in singleplayer too, so its got nothing to do with the net connection either.

i'd just blame it on the game. although manually forcing multithread support improves performance a little, the freezes and stutters are still there. not too sure why multithreaded support isnt enabled by default since they listed a dual core as a minimum requirement >.>

2. nicesunny

nicesunny Banned

GPU:
    ASUS/RampageII Extreme/6g
    I cannot understand that too.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is why 2 things need to happen.

#1 Treyarch need to get a patch out quick to stop the insane amount of lag on every server, I do not care what anyone says the lag can not be this bad even at launch of a new game!

#2 ATI/Nivida need to get out a new driver with better optimisations for this game. I am getting 99% GPU usage in the menu screens and only around 50 - 70% (if im lucky) in game!

4. d2k

d2k Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 BE
    low resolution = low GPU usage.

:)

5. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
  6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    low e-peen = low Self-esteem

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Running 1920x1080 4xAA 16AF maxed out i get 40+fps (SP first mission) with sometimes shutter but just for a second.

I guess its fine.

8. d2k

d2k Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 BE
    lol, only for shallow PC nerds :3eyes:....

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    hahah like your first comment..:stewpid:

i never had problems with gpu usage, in fact i can't even monitor it, so that's not the case, and besides my monitor can use max 1280x1204 so what you said before is plan BS.

10. d2k

d2k Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 BE
    what a plum!! ...... only an idiot would claim a lower resolution wont affect the GPUs overall usage.

my first comment was ''FACT'' not ''E-PEEN'', & learn to spell before you go off half cocked & shout BS..:bang:

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    That's how it should be, we've been having quadcores for ages now, bout time they started supporting them.

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    and what's your point again,... seriously

i can run with much better frames at only 1024x768,.. so you still think its low gpu usage if i get higher fps on lower reso??

lol who's the dumb plum here.

i won't discuss this useless rubbish with you anymore..

13. d2k

d2k Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 BE
    oh god.....

just b/c you get a higher frame-rate with a lower resolution has NOTHING to do with GPU usage at said resolution, yes you get higher FPS @ 1280x1024 but lower GPU usage than say 1920x1200 ....

savvy..?? :3eyes:

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    game has a framerate cap of 90fps by default, which should explain why your gpu usage is low in game.

for me, a single 5850 is enough to average 90fps at around 70-90% load, so for a faster gpu like your gtx480, 50-70% load is about right.

and as for the other argument going around in this thread. yes, you can get full gpu load at lower resolutions. it mainly depends on the game. if youre talking about cod (any cod) you wont get full gpu load at lower resolutions because of the framerate cap. if you remove the cap, the gpu wont be held back as much and will render as many frames as it possibly can.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    CoD games are all CPU Limited which means that you need a high clocked Quad Core to struggle the GPU and if we're talking about GTX480/580/5970 etc then you definitely need an overclocked i7.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Erm... I have been playing mp cod since cod1. I think I know what "com_maxfps 0" does and I have it set to "0" and my GPU usage is still low. Cod4, MW2, and W@W I get around 70%-90% usage. Why have such a powerful card if its not even being used to its full potential?

This, coupled with the insane amount of lag the servers have makes the fps completely unstable. I start a game, and when first entering it my fps is 8fps... THATS RIGHT... 8FPS!!!! then it slowly goes up to 50fps, then rises to around 100fps. Because of the lag it effects your fps because your PC is asking the server for more data packets that it can not send because Treyarch are idiots and had the server config set "sv_maxrate 5000" which is what consoles are set to. Until the servers update their config and maxrate to 25000 we will still get this lag and unstable fps.

EDIT:

My point proven right here...

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=313146&sid=phvfr3ijr0sekdei943nd9cat2

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    lol fail :wanker:

gpu works as fast on 1920x1200 as its on 1280x1024, the only difference here is that it produces more fps on lower reso and sorry thats not gpu usage issue,..

if you have gpu usage issue then i suggest you look into something else, like nvidia drivers + cuda cores optimization., its known that nvidia sucks with latest gpus and its usage, because they can't seem to balance the whole gpu right.

18. Halli

Halli Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX465 Bios 470
    I am having NO problems just Server lag.

I can say that my system runs Great with this old Hardware so it needs not be an I7 just a well balanced system.

Win7/64
    1680x1050 60hz

19. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Well then I'm am one of the happy ones.
    Playing at Min 77 FPS , Max 208 FPS(without vsync) and average of 110 FPS.
    @ 1920x1080 all max out.

These are the config lines I changed in to following:

seta com_maxfps "0"
    seta r_aaAlpha "supersample (nice)"
    seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

GPU load is 75%-95%
    CPU load is 20%-25%
    Memory load is +/- 1GB

I play the game with vsync and triple buffering on ( max FPS is 120FPS on my 120Hz monitor and that is enough)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ravageuk

ravageuk Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580 SLI
    And high resolution = high GPU usage?

orly?

[​IMG]