Sims3 freezes totally with any catalist above 10.5

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PaulvH, Nov 8, 2010.

1. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    I know Sims 3 is not the most hardcore game, but it's about the only game my daughter plays on my PC ...
    However, it forces me to stick to cat 10.5 as any newer driver causes the game to freeze when it's almost done with loading.
    The freeze is so severe that you need to reboot the PC with the reset button, as even ctrl-alt-delete doesnt respond anymore.

I skipped 10.6 & 10.7 as these were already reported as bad in these forums, but with 10.8, 10.8a, 10.9, 10.9a as well as all 10.10-ac&d it cannot run.

I'm also very sure that it isn't the game itself as restoring the 10.5 drivers always solves the problem. (besides that, I did try a complete re-install ... did not help)
    But when I would like to play a modern game like Bf-BC2 I would like to use the newer drivers since these are the only ones that I can make use of the CF set that I have.
    Does anyone have any bright ideas on what to do to make Sims3 run with 10.10(d) ?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Have you tried TwLs modded drivers? They're in the stickied part of this subsection, and worth a shot.

3. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    No I havent tried TWL's yet, as it's installation seems to be a bit difficult.

4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Not really at all friend. Just uninstall your current drivers, run driver sweeper before you restart your computer, and then install his. ^_^

5. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    Ok, that's virtually the same as 'normal' catalist installation then ...
    I'll give it a shot and report back.

Update:
    well, it doesn't freeze ... but instead sims3 doesn't even want to load !
    It just sticks to a black screen. At least windows still responds.
    Back to 10.5 again.

I think I'll create a separate boot-partition for my daughter to use ...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Sims3 has a load of issues it still needs worked out. My GF is constantly having stuff disappear or her Sims growing tails, getting stuck inside walls, and a couple times her save game became corrupt and had to start all over. I'm getting a little tired of trying to fix it so I told her to just stop playing the game.
    It seems that with every expansion pack comes an update that just makes the game worse.

7. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    Yes, I guess Sims3 is very buggy.
    All my other games may have minor issues, but at least run 'normal' on my PC for over a year since my last hardware update. But this game is apparently also sensitive to the driver version you use.
    For now my workaround is to stick to 10.5, but that means I can play certain games like BfBC2 with just 1 working card only. (I am VERY disappointed about using crossfire I can tell you !)