Excited About Getting GTX 580's

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mutate44, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Supersnake

Supersnake Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLI
    " Effin?" "(hey)man?"
    And I'm supposed to believe you are a serious replier?
    If anyone else cares to describe why they believe my CPU is insufficient in a more mature manner, will be glad to listen.

My question about the potential for a water leak in a vacuum environment still remains.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Oh so now your gonna attack my maturity level. I could have used way more profane way of asking. The Core 2 series of cpus are becoming a lil outdate for high end gaming. You sadly need a cpu @ 3.6ghz to feed sli gtx 480s to remove any cpu bottleneck. The cards will just sit there waiting for data to be sent to them from the cpu before they do their job. What I said was not some stupid fanboy remark or any attack towards you. I just found it was kinda of a shocker that you would run two gtx 580s on a dual core cpu only at 3Ghz level and no one else had made a remark. Id be pleasntly shocked and very happy for you if it worked out great with no bottleneck. As for the potential for a water leak in an vacum enviroment I cant comment. I dont know much about that stuff yet. Im still learning alot.

3. Supersnake

Supersnake Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLI
    Thank you Agonist. I appreciate your followup detailed, knowledgeable reply. I was hoping that my CPU would not be an issue but you have convinced me otherwise.

Regarding the potential for a water leak in a vacuum environment, it looks like I will have to await more feedback. My previous water leak has made me wary to venture again into water cooled components. If any doubt remains I presume I will await the ATI 6970 and see what that holds.

Thanks again.

4. Joey Propane

Joey Propane Active Member

GPU:
    1GB HIS 5850 iCooler V
    Are you talking about the vapour chamber cooler on the 580? You do realise it's essentially just a big heatpipe, right? And as with all heatpipes the fluid stored in them is well sealed and would take substantial physical damage to the cooler to cause any kind of leak.

5. nexuno

nexuno Guest

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    I tought it was obvious he was changing his whole system...and he is not as it seems :D

@OP just to make an example: my CPU and GPU are well balanced (sometimes the CPU bottlenecks, sometimes (a lil more often) viceversa), so you can see how far from a balanced system you are.

Your SLI setup is already bottlenecked as it is by your CPU i don't know what you are thinking o_O

6. Supersnake

Supersnake Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLI
    [post deleted]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  7. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Same here.

Just want that damn 262.99 driver set hmmmm yummy.

8. angmar

angmar Guest

It's definetly going to bottlekneck an sli setup of 580s but it should be ok to run one as long as it's highly overcocked.. 4.0+ The processor is just showing it's age even my cpu bottleknecks my overclocked gtx 470 at times and it's substantially faster then your cpu.

9. Supersnake

Supersnake Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLI
    Seeing that your CPU is a dual core @3.47GHz (and faster than my 3.16GHz dual core) and you have encountered
    a CPU bottleneck in feeding data to your GTX470 supports what Agonist also said. Yes, I will update my mobo and CPU before installing a GTX580.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i'll be excited when there is more than just ports that can take advantage of the 580. i have the 280 and its more than adequate. unfortunately gameing hasnt moved very far since 2007.

11. angmar

angmar Guest

I hope they come with a copy of black ops ....then theyd really get snatched up then...if they dont get sold out instantly anyway :\

12. angmar

angmar Guest

I hear ya man it's pretty lame that we spend all this money on our machines and have to play xbox 360/ps3 games on them for the most part :\

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well, Crysis 2 is coming...

And from reviews, the original Crysis still runs pretty bad even on a 480GTX...I mean averaging 32FPS @ 1920 x 1200, with 4x AA and 4AF, and not even maxed out...it's still something to shoot for.

I am waiting for the day when a system can play Crysis @ 1920 x 1200, 4xAA 4xAF, maxed out, 60+FPS at all times.

14. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    Tru dat! :(

As for the "vapor chambers" on the 580's are concerned i wouldn't be worried about them any more than a heat pipe design personally. Thing i would like to know is what nvidia know's about physics last i checked gravitational pull is down toward earth and if they mount the gpu HS on the bottom of the gpu how is the "thermal liquid" going to touch the top of the HS and evaporate down? lol

15. Maltorn

Maltorn New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX480
    I think I've destroyed another exspensive keyboard with the news of Fermi done right if not very close it :D

16. nexuno

nexuno Guest

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    What's so special about them? 260.99 go silk smooth...i can even play metro2033 maxed out (but only AAA and 1680x1050)

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  18. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    nvidia users should wait for kepler...fermi is dead...cayman is gonna kill it hard and fast... :)

19. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    I'm excited about a GT430 I bought the other day for my server/folder...:banana:
    ;)

20. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Day dreaming again...