OC my MSI GTX 460 Hawk

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Welliam, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    msi-afterburner, but why ? is it because it is dangerous ?

I read an excellent review (dont remember the site name) they reviewer was able to rich 988 Mhz, I want to use that to push it for an hour maybe! then I was going to return all frequencies back to default as I understand no one should risk running his card on that frequency for a long time

I envy the reviewer :)

(please also remove the stupid sign icon)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    there are too many cases that prove some of users want to use such high voltage for 24hrs per day. So we have no choice. :stewpid:

3. boogiem0nst3r

boogiem0nst3r New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 HAWK TALON 1g
    msi-afterburner....

In the future will ALL reviewers be using the same voltage limits as consumers?

The reviews included OC limits of this card pushed to the max (including articles written here on guru3d), however with these new changes no consumer can reach those limits.

4. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    I think MSI did not want risk getting alot of RMA of this card because of this, and the reviewer said that he put the fan at 100% so who will be able to play with a fan that loud!

one important question I am interested in: what is the maximum core frequency for ~8-12 hours per day considering safety measures ?

5. 1keith1

1keith1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 Hawk 1GB
    Not really the fan isn't loud at all IMO.

Can't we have a compromise of Maybe +150 Vcore? So much for these cards reaching 1Ghz.

6. theillusiveman

theillusiveman Member Guru

GPU:
    2x-N570GTX-(840/2000Mhz)
    To those that NEED to go above 900core (i am one of those people) there is a solution.

You can Bios mod your card by asking these gentlemen http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=329033 to modify your bios to allow extra voltage. This probably will void your warranty SO be very cautious or else you will be left with a paperweight.

Anyways, i did a Bios mod to mine and using the Nvidia Voltage regulator (not the one that is custom built for the hawk (+100mV)) i was able to push 960core stable with a massive 1.212v running through the card. Temperates skyrocketed to 68c however but its good to see the cooler finally do some real work. I am disappointed that MSI decided to change the voltage limits on their over-clocking cards (and mostly because reviewers were able to maximize their overclocks and we were not) -Note: MSI not Unwinder.-

So there you go. Use with caution.

7. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    68c after a 3d mark vantage run or?
    currently with +100 mV and 900 mhz core, I end with 58c. what were your previous temp results at 900 mhz/old bios? also, is every hawk's bios different or are they the same if Device ID is the same?

anyway 68c still is good considering card gets damaged at 104c

8. 1keith1

1keith1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 Hawk 1GB
    Well you could still RMA it to MSI right? It's not like they will even know that a custom bios was put on it when the cards dead...:rolleyes:

9. theillusiveman

GPU:
    2x-N570GTX-(840/2000Mhz)
    well before i did the bios change the absolute maximum temperature i got was 62c with OCCT running for awhile. Everything else (kombustor, 3dmark) topped out at 56-58c) i ran OCCT and got 70c today so temps definitely increased.

10. theillusiveman

GPU:
    2x-N570GTX-(840/2000Mhz)
    True and thats probably why the locked the +200 feature. Just don't have the thing explode on you. they will notice that :)

11. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    I know it.:chainsaw:

12. Flickshot

Flickshot Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Hawk 1GB
    There is a small mistake in the HAWKs bios I believe which is the reason why most people are not able to overclock well.

Everyone who want to successfully overclock to 900 Mhz or more (without getting any artifacts in ATI TOOL) note: Kombustor doesn't show minor artifact faults.

You need to download Nibitor 5.8 or later and nvflash 5.95.01 or later and edit the bios.

What you are looking for is under the fermi voltage tab. Limit needs to be raised a little to 1.125 I believe this is a safe value. And then on the bottom right corner of that same tab you are looking for P15 setting which is set to Setting 2, you need to change that using the drop down menu and set to Setting 3 as the voltages in setting 3 correspond better for the P15 profile. I believe the latter is the small mistake in the bios.

Make sure temps are in check and have fun. If your temps are low enough under kombustor or furmark you can edit the voltages in Setting 3 under that same tab.

Remember to check stability with ATI Tool and Temps with kombustor.

This should be ok for 24/7 I am running this and also +60 mv in afterburner to get 900 on the core without any artifacts in ati tool.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  13. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    Thanks Flickshot,

To make sure is that correct : ?
    [​IMG]

did you try this on your card ?

14. Flickshot

Flickshot Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Hawk 1GB
    yes that's correct works well on my card and temps are fine

15. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    Thanks alot Flickshot, when I find a good and stable frequency how I set it in the bios so I dont need to use afterburner ?

16. theillusiveman

GPU:
    2x-N570GTX-(840/2000Mhz)
    will it allow me to reach 920 core (stable) using their default voltage regulator? Honestly that's all i want is a nice stable 920 core (this beats out a GTX470 right?)

Using the old (Default bios) only landed me at 900core stable with 70mV but even trying to reach 910 with 100mV didn't work...

17. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    glad to know that it work with you theillusiveman

18. 1keith1

1keith1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 Hawk 1GB
    Well all current Bios editors AFAIK only mess with the Generic Nvidia Voltage Controller. You can flash your overclock I believe to the card if you really want, but if you are using say +60Mv in Afterburner you are using a different voltage controller than the one supported by bios flashes. You can still bios flash it, just know that you will have to force voltage through the Generic Voltage Controller.

I would spend a good week with lots of gaming and artifact testing and what not before you flash a bios with those clocks, also try going to the Nvidia section of this forum and look for a thread with a few people who are flashing bios for anyone with a program called Fermi Bios Editor.

Also what is the above thing doing, I am confused, is it just editing the stock VID of the card, does the VDDC displayed in GPU-Z change when you change that in the bios?

19. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    @1keith1 no it allow for more increase in voltage using Afterburner but did not try it myself yet

20. 1keith1

1keith1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 Hawk 1GB
    Oh well I already maxed out my voltage by bios flash, but I wasn't able to hit 900Core at any lower than before.