Big news BFBC2 players

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alex133, Oct 29, 2010.

1. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
  2. swnny

swnny Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    Any hope for my old E2180 with this new drivers? I could benefit a small performance increase. :)

3. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Don't think so mate.

These optimizations are for GTX 400 users only =/ (although it may help some GTX 200 users as well).

The only way you'll see any performance improvements under BFBC2, is if you overclock that E2180 of yours (even then, It's not going to be a significant boost).

4. swnny

swnny Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    Bad Company 2 is the only game I have that dont use GPU more then 50% in dx10 and 35-40% in dx9. The Witcher, GTA4, Borderlands, UT3 are aways around 90% usage... So bc2's problem isnt only for gtx400, but with older gpus too.
    And yes, I have clocked the cpu to its limits for the default vcore.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

5. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Maybe, but if I had to guess, your CPU is probably pegged @ 99% usage when running BFBC2, meaning that it doesn't have any more resources to further feed the GPU (hence the low GPU usage). You gotta remember:

• The E2180 is a fairly low-end Dual Core CPU, (no L3 cache, only 1MB L2 Cache).
    • BFBC2 is probably the most CPU hungry game out there right now.

EDIT: But hey, I could be completely wrong.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Who told you that ?

7. swnny

swnny Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    There is no need to convince me that my cpu is out dated already. :) But just tested Crysis Warhead and the cpu usage is around 75-95% and gpu is more then 80%. For BC2 the cpu is in that range too, but the gpu is no more then 50-60% max. Thats for both sp and mp. I dont expect large fps boost, just smoother gameplay. Prior 260.63 beta drivers I experienced a lot of frame drops, but with 260.63 they are gone and its a lot smoother.

8. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    It was my understanding that these optimizations were for GTX 400 only, although, now that I think about it, I've seen a couple of threads on low GPU usage on GTX 200 cards as well.

Sorry about that.

9. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Really looking forward to this new driver.

I gotten worse and worse fps in BC2 each driver it seems. Still really low gpu usage unless I max out the AA shifting the game from beeing cpu limited to gpu limited resulting in same or worse fps with a sluggish input lag feel attached.

With this rig and 0x aa it is 35-55 fps with 45-55% gpu usage in average with a few spikes here and there..cpu is around 70-85% only playing on 20-24 ppl maps completly given up on 32 player since I changed from my 4870x2 wich ran the game so much better, albeit so much more noisy aswell :)

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Well my card sits at 99% usage over 100-160 fps in dx11 mode for mp on 32 man servers with i7 @ 4.4GHz an cpu task manager sitting at 60% utilization across all cores.
    Before on my Q6600 @ 3.2 same setting's gpu use be sat at 40-45% usage an fps around 50-60 fps an cpu task manager sitting at 60-65% utilization.
    Massive improvement by switching out cpu's for me.
    Isn't just core count it's raw GHz too which help pump up gpu usage in bc2.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    yea Q6600 is getting really old and its missing some internal tweaks like better communication between 2 cores and improved SSE 128bit operations - q9xxx series.. i7 has gone one step further so its even faster, but compared to q9xxx not so much as to q6xxx.

well if you want better image quality, then i suggest you select at least quality instead of high performance and force AF in driver profile, it looks 10x better than ingame af. Also leave transparency aa disabled or you will get noticeable fps drop near smoke.. and try and enable threaded optimization to ON, i saw it utilizes more cpu power this way.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  12. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Thanks.

Will try it once I get home.

13. Nerdness

Nerdness Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 4GB SC SLI
    Agreed. My "older" Q9650 is running at 4.05GHZ and the difference in GPU usage from stock went from 35-45% up to 65-85% on my GTX 260s just from the overclock. Now, if I could get that up to near 100%, I could see constant 80-120FPS in the game on my system with my "old" CPU....

14. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

One big thing here though is that people have compared apple with pears all along here.

On my system I can manipulate the game by adding alot of eyecandy in form of AA, HBAOccolusion and AF to get a high 90-99 gpu utilization on both my cards, this however doesn't increase the FPS naturally.

I think when people been discussing this phenomena on our boards and others they gotten the discussion so confused and mixed with input that it has been hard for the people making the drivers to draw any conclusions off it.

My gripe with this game is that when I had my 4870x2 in without any eyecandy I had around 55-110 fps on 32 people servers.. 65-125 fps on 24 people servers, I had the occasional dip down to around 45ish but it was rare.

My gpus on the 4870x2 would sit around 65-80 most of the time sometimes going up to 90.

Now with my 465s clocked at 830 core 1025 memory without any eyecandy I sit around 35-75 fps 95% of the time, going jo-jo between min and max fps never stable. ( using 260.99 )

My gpus with 465s sit around 35-70%, and there is no diffrence for me in term of performance going from dx9 to dx11, wich again is odd.

When it comes to testing on empty servers I can see a strong bond between gpu utilization on my 465s and the actual fps, but when it comes to multiplayer the relationship is not as strong albeit it is still present, most often high utilization equals high fps - but not always.

/edit

Might add that I play with 1920x1200 dx11 16x af forced in CP, high quality textures in CP, 0-4x aa, undergrwoth and topgrowth set to medium, shadows medium the rest maxed.

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    So from this topic i would undertsnad that:

with next drivers my 480 will run this game far more better?

acceptable.

16. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    what's your current usage? an your cpu only at 3GHz?

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    yeah 3.0 GHZ..and weeks ago before uninstalling EVGA that USAGE application, it was showing around %20-30, alittle 40...i was thinking this was a mistake of the software itself..

18. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    /edit2

Lol just played some nelson bay 24 man server and my gpu usage is back down to 16-25% as it was with some much older and bugged drivers. No wounder I get so bad performance these days.

/edit3

Rolled back to 258.96 whql but the fps and gpu utilization remains on a record low. Also people ingame complains alot about low/bad performance. I litterally ran around with 35 fps with this machine a whole round on Arica Harbour, that is completly unacceptable for this rigs and with the many settings I ran on medium.

Better hope nvidia get their driver right this time else I'm afraid I'm done with this game for good.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  19. swnny

swnny Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    @Sneakers, i know my rig is far behind yours, but with 260.63 beta drivers I actually got nice performance on 1440x900 dx10 all high without bloom/aa/hbao. Its not perfect, but its a lot more playable then the 260.99 or 258.96. You can give it a try. Got the drivers of fileshack servers.

20. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Wow the latest patch added a lot of performance, gpu usage now maintains 92%+. This is what this game should have always been! I can now easily play maxed settings w/ 32xAA & 4xAA trans without issue. 8xAA trans is possible, but not very smooth for me.