Want to Upgrade to new Desktop LCD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KillaMachine, Nov 2, 2010.

1. KillaMachine

KillaMachine Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX plus
    hey guys been using BENQ 17" LCD for a while and now I'm looking to upgrade, nothing comes to mind other than these great forums, always got great advice from here.
    Basically I want a 24 inch HDMI enabled LCD or LED as am I'm a gamer. There are two options that suit my budget so far in 24" range thats easily accessible to me in my country:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=lZh89jeJUW0lsTnS

and

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2439wm.htm

Which one of these two will be great for gaming as both have 2ms response

I do have a 40" LCD for my ps3 or to watch movies but I wanna also use this ldesktop LCD with ps3 as well so HDMI is a must. Plus I wouldnt mind watching some TV on it either.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. KillaMachine

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX plus
  3. killerxr290

killerxr290 Banned

GPU:
    Im Out
    always love it when ppl bump after just 20 mins!!!!!

BE PATIENT you will get a reply

Id go for the Asus personally

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    normally i would say get the asus, but in this case im going to recommend the viewsonic, especially if you plan to use it with your PC.

my reason for this is that the viewsonic has both 3.5mm audio in and 3.5mm audio out. so basically, you can connect your speakers to the audio out, your pc to dvi in (pc audio to 3.5mm audio in), your ps3 to hdmi in, and you wont ever have to touch the cables ever again.

i had this on my old 24inch before i upgraded to a TV. basically, if you choose the dvi input method, it will automatically use the 3.5mm audio input, so you get pc audio coming out through the speakers. then if you choose hdmi, it will load up your ps3 and have its audio come out through the speakers. pure simplicity.

5. KillaMachine

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX plus
    Yes I plan to use it with PC thanks for your inputs I like the idea of Audio simplicity but as long as the visuals go is there any difference b/w the two ? or the quality of picture is same ?:)

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    picture quality nowadays is more or less the same with 24inch TFT monitors. the only monitors that really stand out from the crowd are the high res 27inch/30inch monitors and the IPS Panels. Im using a 37inch IPS panel TV and despite running the same resolution as my old 24inch monitor, it still looks really sharp.

asus and viewsonic make really nice monitors. good level of brightness and normally theres a game mode to minimise input lag. just make sure you use dvi for PC input instead of vga. dvi is much better quality.

7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Never mind, i guess i missed the part where you said "in my country" lol. I suppose you dont have a costco ;)

8. KillaMachine

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX plus
    thanks which 27 inch would u recommend and I be honest I dont even know wats a DVI is that a cable ? thanks

9. KillaMachine

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX plus
    Viewsonic is out of stock so im going with Asus one in its spec on the website it says it has HDMI-to DVI cable included is that the cable I should connect my lcd with to my CPU ?

10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    your graphics card should have a dvi output to connect directly with the monitor via a dvi cable. dvi = digital video interface. ie. its digital, generally looks better.

the only downside with the asus is that you will have to connect your speakers to your PC when you want PC audio, and then to the monitor if you want PS3 audio.

a possible solution would be to get a hdmi switch box if your graphics card has a hdmi output with audio, but iirc, the 9800 series didnt have audio on the hdmi?

are there no other stores that stock the viewsonic?

as for 27inch monitors, i didnt really bother with them. they can be awesome, but i just chose a 37inch panasonic IPS panel TV because it was easier to run with my PC and PS3.

11. KillaMachine

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX plus
    Aah the Asus LCD has just arrived thanks for all the info, it looks really nice but I have a problem I attached I believe its called DVI cable and when i switch to HDMI with that cable it doesnt work, currently im on VGA cable :( when I switch to HDMI it says Signal not found altho the dvi is connected to the lcd as well what am I doin wrong ?

12. KillaMachine

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX plus
    Am I suppose to change settings in control panel somewhere ? help pls

13. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    DVI isn't HDMI. So if you've connected your monitor with a DVI cable you'll need to select the DVI input.