Random freezing.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chazly413, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    hmm I would guess either the PSU or the motherboard voltage regulator is bad...try it with your friends OCZ 700 over the weekend...shouldn't see those massive fluctuations on the 12V in OCCT that's for sure.

2. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    I did the PSU stress test. How would I make sure the cpu runs 100%? Seems like that would be out of my control.. and what is that saying? I had no other (visible on the desktop) programs running, just background virus and firewall.

I'll try again at native.

3. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    OK, new test (PSU stress). Results look a bit cleaner than the previous one, but still not promising. I still don't know about that CPU noise. This was at fullscreen with nothing else running besides background tasks.

[​IMG]

Do you wanna see charts for the other volts from both tests? The 3V from the test I just ran is very clean and consistent, the 5V is kinda noisy but follows a very consistent max and min. They both look much better than the 12V.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    Just did the test with my roommates OCZ 700w, here are the results.

[​IMG]

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I think an unstable PSU is a pretty safe bet.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    For some reason, even with an OCZ PSU, it ripples a lot according to the graph. Try rerunning that test again ... I have a feeling there's a voltage spikes on the board or something.

deltatux

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    EDIT. yeah cud be but Raidmax test def don't look good. Still within 5% limit tho.
    Cud be v reg too but I think more likely PSU, imho...board is pretty new.
    He still needs to do a GPU test, to check for 12v droop

OCZ

[​IMG]
    Raidmax
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yep, the OCZ is clearly better than that Raidmax, but even with the standard test set, the OCZ ripples more than my OCZ StealthXStream. Mine's 0.52% which is under 1% and maybe since he can't hit that, his system's failing.

deltatux

9. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    Shiet. Well, I got a new PSU coming in tomorrow. If it is something else in the system slowly going out (mobo?), I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the help, everyone.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My hypothesis is that the PSU might have done something to your board. Rerun the test when you get that new PSU, if the ripple is a lot less then the new PSU is good to go and no damage was done.

deltatux

11. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    Like it was in the OCZ test or less than that??

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    well, the OCZ test you did still have a ripple of >1% which isn't optimal. Check my OCZ test, mine's a relatively new PSU, just got it last year.

deltatux

13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    The graph with the OCZ looks about right to me for a software measurement and especially if that was a ModStream 700 which had pretty flaky voltage regulation anyway...the real test would have been to simply see if the system crashed but a better PSU than the Raidmax was a good idea regardless so wait and see how it does with the new PSU...(hoping you ordered a good one?).

14. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    I ordered a coolermaster 600w. That was stretching my budget enough.

This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    That's a good PSU...let us know if the crashing continues...

16. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    My crashing condition was more often than not when I listen to music, via wmp, and playing medieval 2 total warfare at the same time. I ran occt for the new PSU, graph was similar but a little better than the old one, but I didn't have any crashes at all yesterday playing Medieval. I'm gonna *test* some more right now :lol:

Also, for the graph, I thought of two variables that could lead to a different result than what the 700W read; first, my combo drive was not plugged in when the 700W was in, also the fact that the 700W is a 700W. I might try to run it without my combo drive in to see what graph I get, but all that matters to me is that my computer hasn't crashed yet.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  17. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    ... My comp just blue screened. Ugh. So what are we looking at now... mobo?

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    that kinda looks like a soundcard driver issue,..

you can try 2 options if you want;
    1. go to device manager/ expand onboard sound card/ right-click on it and uninstall it, leave the driver installed/ reboot/ now let windows detect it again, reboot and see if it helps (btw all sound volumes and settings will be set to default).

2. if not then try and uncheck *exclusive mode (both), found in audio playback /speakers/properties/advanced.

3. or check for the latest realtek driver and repeat both parts, just to be sure.

19. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    Did the first thing you recommended the day you recommended it and I haven't had a crash yet. Crossing my fingers, I'll get back to you all in about a week and if it hasn't crashed by then, I'll feel pretty confident that your advice fixed it.

20. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    Still have not had a crash (Medieval 2 with wmp) after utilizing your advice. Now I'm wondering if I should return this PSU or not.