gigabyte xfx 5870 cf problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by maxx085, Oct 24, 2010.

1. maxx085

maxx085 Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 570
    Just finished setting up a gigabyte xfx 5870 cf installed new drivers 10.10, played bc2 for a couple of minutes and my pc froze, after reboot ran furmark same problem. any ideas what could be wrong?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Something is getting too hot.
    Monitor temps.

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    try uninstalling all the drivers. remove one card from the motherboard.

boot up, install drivers for the first card. shut down.

install the second card to the motherboard, do not attach crossfire cables, boot up, install drivers. then shut down again.

then attach crossfire cables. then boot up, enable crossfire, enable catalyst ai.

see if that works.

4. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    3*HD5850 Tri-CFX 850/1150
    Sounds like a heat issue, when I put my 3rd 5850 in I had issues untill I increased airflow in the case by adding a few noctua fans.

What coolers do your 5870's have? reference design? depending on the cooler design they may not be throwing the hot air out of the case and instead just filling your case with hot air.

And for BC2 try 10.4a drivers, its the most stable and best performing driver in BC2 for me and 2 m8's with CFX systems.

pretty sure this is what you want-

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/18350/ATI+Catalyst+10.4a+Preview+Driver+-+Windows+7+&+Windows+Vista

5. maxx085

maxx085 Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 570
    Thanks man I'll definitely give it a try.

You're right most likely this might be causing the problem but i dont think airflow is the issue because i always have my case completely open. Gigabyte is non reference, XFX is reference. Im gonna give it a try to those drivers and check on the temps, thanks!!

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    in most cases having a closed case with fans is better than an open case. a closed case promotes more efficient air flow within the system, so air gets to where it needs to.

by the laws of physics, gases/air at high pressure will disperse into regions of lower pressure to even out the pressure. if you have an intake fan in your case and your side panel is open, youre exposing the post-fan intake air to the outside, so the air will just disperse before it reaches its target.

most people recommend having exhaust > intake because if it pulls out more air than it pulls in, the decreased pressure inside the case will pull in more air from the outside and to/past the components that need it most.