I just joined. I'm folding with GPU and CPU at the same time

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by jtrageser, Oct 22, 2010.

1. jtrageser

jtrageser Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX260-216
    My name is jtrageser on the folding team.

My system is quite powerful so I figured I could put it to good use when I'm not doing so.

Enjoy!

2. Kaktus

Kaktus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Welcome dude. :p

3. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    welcome to the team jtrageser every bit help

4. jtrageser

jtrageser Member

GPU:

5. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Welcome to the @H Guru3D Team jtrageser.

I am guessing that you are using these F@H Clients:
    GTX 260 -> GPU2 Client or GPU3 BETA Client
    i7-920 -> SMP2 BETA Client

Now please remember to use the passkey with the SMP2 BETA Client so you can get bonus points once you finish 10 FahCore_a3 WUs with the same username/passkey combination and maintain a >=80% return rate. I would recommend that you can use either HFM.NET or FahMon to monitor the Clients.

This may not be necessary, but if the system isn't a dedicated folder and you use it for normal stuff like browsing, etc, you can try to use -smp 7 to see if you can lower the TPF.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    welcome my friend :)

7. jtrageser

jtrageser Member

GPU:
    Thanks!

I have HFM already, but I can get it to work properly with the CPU and GPU folding clients. Also, I wasn't sure which password to use and I just used jtrageser for my username since that's my name on the forums here.

If you could help me get this set up properly, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I can have this machine folding almost all day and night. The only time it gives me any issues is when I try to play a Multiplayer game. It lags me a bit so I have to stop the folding, but besides that, this computer can fold all day/night 24/7 365 days a year for Guru3d! I just need a little help getting it setup initially.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

8. jtrageser

jtrageser Member

GPU:
    These are the two versions I'm using (Pulled from viewing the log files):

# Windows GPU Systray Edition #################################################
    ###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.30r2

http://folding.stanford.edu

and...

# Windows CPU Systray Edition #################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.23

http://folding.stanford.edu

9. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    This F@h Client is called GPU3 BETA Client and uses the GPU:
    This F@h Client is called F@h Classic Client and will only use 1 thread/CPU regardless of how many you have:
    Judging from your FAHlogs, I am guessing that when running only these 2 F@h Clients, your CPU Usage would be ~12%, correct?

Now I am going to tell you a method that will make that number jump from ~12% to 88% or 100% depending on your choice :nerd:

Step 1: For the F@h Classic Client, you have to use this flag -oneunit by using this method and once the Client exits, you can continue with these steps.

Step 2: You can uninstall the F@h Classic Client.

Step 3: You will now download the SMP2 BETA Client v6.30 and install it. Here is a Pictorial Guide that I, plus some others, wrote that you can follow.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

BTW, you have been mentioned in the New F@H Gurus Thread :)

10. ariskar

ariskar Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    the most efficient is to use
    Folding@Home Client Version 6.30r2 with as you claimed with -verbosity 9 -smp 7 shortcut launch parameters (switches/flags)
    and 6.23 GPU2 client

or follow the most detailed instructions posted above ;)

welcome!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010

11. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It is like this:
    GPU3 Beta Client v6.32 will need only -verbosity 9 flag

SMP2 BETA Client v6.30 will need -verbosity 9 -smp 7 flags

In my previous post, I mentioned only the SMP2 BETA Client since your GPU is setup perfectly fine. To setup your CPU to be more efficient, follow the steps in my previous post :)

BTW, GPU2 Client v6.23 is another GPU Client which also uses only -verbosity 9 flag. However, since you are already using GPU3 BETA Client, I would advice that you stick with it since GPU3 Client is the successor to GPU2 Client.