Gtx 580

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by zoso_the_hippy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    NVIDIA hasn't "pulled" anything yet. Everyone try to keep in mind these are all still just rumors. And as for fixing yield/power consumption issues with Fermi, they've already demonstrated progress as evidenced by their GF104 (aka GeForce GTX 460).

2. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    i dont think nvidia will release expensive cards after amd 6xxx series. waiting good price drops at all 400 series cards soon.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Why do people continue to visit that website?

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Because they are dumb sheep lol.

AMD haven't launched anything yet either, the 5970 won't be out till the end of the year, and of course they wouldn't paper launch that, they need to keep the specs and performance of cards as close to their chest as long as possible to keep Nvidia from knowing what the have to beat.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't matter what a company has done in the past. What matters to consumers is what they do in the present and future. Look at BFG...in the past, they produced great products and provided exceptional service. Now they're gone. It only takes 1 bad product or broken promise to destroy a company. Look at General Motors. The largest auto manufacturer in the world....also the highest grossing. It was little over 18 months ago they were financially wiped out. They actually owed more than they had in cash and assets combined. If it wasn't for US bankruptcy laws and a massive bailout package, they'd no longer exist.....all because of failed promises. If a company worth as much as GM can run into financial hardships....so can nVidia. Prior to their bankruptcy filing....GM was worth more than nVidia.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What bad product did BFG produce that sent them under, and GM ran into financial hardship at the same time the rest of the world did, so isn't the best example ever lol.

Also, don't you think your jumping the gun a little...
    One your basing it on the opinion of one guy who has so much hatred for the company, that its verging on mental illness, and two, and most importantly NOTHING has happened, or been announced.

Talking about a multi-billion dollar company going bust because of one biased rumour is so far out there i would laugh, but it appears your serious:3eyes:

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    BFG was just an example of how a good company can go out of business.

GM was actually having financial problems long before the economy went to crap. When the economy fell apart, GM was $80 billion in the hole. It was kinda the case of "add insult to injury". GM promised styling, quality and fuel economy equal to foreign manufacturers...and has failed year after year to deliver in any form or fashion. GM originally promised the Camaro would return in 2006 (at least, according to the local GM Rep)....again, GM failed to deliver.

Here's another good one. Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. This time last year, was on the list of the 10 Companies Most Likely to go out of business. The world's largest rubber products manufacturer.... As long as cars are being built and driven....Goodyear will have customers. Goodyear makes the majority of belts and hoses for the automotive industry. Goodyear is also the leading tire manufacturer...also the owner of the Dunlop Tire and Rubber Company.

Most people seem to have a problem understanding reality. Reality is, that consumers have no real memory. Consumers worry most about the present and future. AMD is winning back former ATI customers by doing what ATI used to do....developing solid products. Most consumers have forgotten about the HD2000 series....just like most nV fanboys have forgotten about the GeForceFX series. If Charlie happens to be right again....as he was about the GF100 chip not having the 512SPs that it was supposed to have....it could in fact prove to be detrimental to nVidia as people may start to think that nVidia is becoming incapable or unrealistic....or, just simply, unable to innovative....much like AMD has been over the last few years. The last real innovation from AMD was the Athlon64 X2.... Companies can't survive on promises of what's coming. nVidia is already making huge promises. They struggled to get Fermi out after making unrealistic promises of performance. Now they're promising chipsets with up to 16x the performance of GT200 by 2013.....the performance jump alone would require a bus with higher bandwidth IF they can even manage to produce a working chip. They're making that promise far too early in development.....and if they fail, Charlie will more than likely be around to dance and sing about it. Now, keep in mind, when I speak of nVidia....I speak solely of their graphics division. nVidia, as a whole, will more than likely survive as long as the computer industry does. nVidia knows how to stir up markets and honestly, I doubt anyone can touch Tegra...much less Tegra2. If Apple wants to control the cellphone/tablet market, they'll eventually have to sign with nVidia for a Tegra chipset. Whether you're an nV fanboy, or an ATI/AMD fanboy...the reality is that the computer industry is changing in ways that nVidia can't control. If AMD can integrate their GPU's into their CPU's successfully....and still be able to provide high-end graphics without an add-in board, they can take more market share from nVidia. If Intel can manage to create a usable, performance driven graphics subsystem that is actually capable of competing...nVidia would pretty well lose their place in the computer industry. nVidia already needs to create a defined position that Intel and AMD can't dissolve....and making huge, unrealistic promises, isn't the way to do it.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Wow, that's abit of a mini novel, that will probably have to be re-read tomorrow, as its now well into AM here, so apologies if i have missed something.

Many good companies go out of business, some from claiming too much, others from not pushing enough, but while i agree on some parts, your still basing the whole thing round IF this or that happens, and also how you personally think consumers will react.
    The article is more than likely nonsense, most of what CJ's writes is wrong, but some people like to only point out the correct stuff, but as i heard before, even a broken clock is right twice a day:banana:
    So say it does turn out to be correct, Nvidia paper launches in December, then goes retail at the end of January, what damage would that do??
    Nvidia still has a fanbase so large, that even if the next cards development was funded by al-qaeda, with another card made with wood screws, the fans would still say "rather that, than get one of those ATI/AMD cards"

If NV shows up with hardware, some specs, and a launch date, and then meets that date, all the fans will be happy, and even if they miss it, most will probably still stick around and wait, and considering the 5970 isn't likely to appear till the end of the year, end of Jan is hardly late, now is it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    BFG went out of buisness because everybody abused there RMA service...Got a 8800gt?Stick it in the microwave for a few mins and it wont work,send it back to BFG and get a free GTX280 in replacement...this is what killed BFG.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i heard that too, my old 8800GT died not long ago too funnily enough, i just stuck it in the bin.

Veteran your a good example of what i was talking about i think, you think you will buy the 5990 when it arrives?

11. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Are the 6970 and 6990 what you're referring to?

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, that's the one lol, nearly 3am, and should of finished what i was doing hours ago:wanker:

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With Fermi, nVidia not only missed the intended launch time frame....but missed it by several months, showed up with considerably lower performance, and with different specs from what nearly every site was claiming. Launching late, is 1 issue....launching late with reduced specs, like with Fermi, is a different story. nVidia still has yet to release a decent driver for Fermi cards....aside from the 259.32 beta drivers packaged with the 3D Vision driver set. My GTX460, even clocked to 850/2000.....is struggling to run WoW (using D3D11 switch).... but, if people start seeing empty promises...it won't matter what their feelings are for nVidia....

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Fermi being late, and hot and power hungry was obviously a blow for them, and lost them money, as well as fans who were waiting on a DX11 GPU, but the biggest blow was them not having a card on the market, once they arrived, they still sold quite well, bad publicity and all, even more so when the GTX460's arrived, and from a benchmarking point of view, the Fermi cards seem to be the most popular with Vantage, and that is still a pretty big market.

The GTX460 has been the best card i've ever used, great performance in every game I play, with each new driver being better than the last, haven't tried WOW, nor would i ever, but when people report poor performance with GTX480's and 5970's, i tend to think its game issues.

The GTX480/470 was the low point for Nvidia, no doubt about that, but as ATI/AMD have proven over the last few years, things can only go up afterwards, and while your guessing that Nvidia will be struggling in 6months, i The GTX460 has been the best card i've ever used, great performance in every game I play, with each new driver being better than the last, haven't tried WOW, nor would i ever, but when people report poor performance with GTX480's and 5970's, i tend to think its game issues.they will be stronger than ever, lets see who is right.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The people running GTX480's and HD5870's in WoW need to use the d3d11 switch to get decent performance. Unfortunately, the GTX460 doesn't perform nearly as well as it should with WoW's DX11 rendering engine. I get massive stuttering...even with completely stable framerates. In areas that I previously maintained 60-80fps using the DX9 rendering engine, I know get roughly 40-50fps and massive stuttering. Most of the higher level areas, the stuttering is so bad, the game becomes completely unplayable. The only driver release I haven't had the stuttering problem with, has been the 259.32 beta drivers. People running HD5970 may see performance improvements from switching to DX11, but seeing as how the game has very limited multi-gpu support there's no guarrantee as to how much improvement they'll see. Unfortunately, WoW is about the only game I play as FPS games bore me to death and most RTS games are either too easy to figure out....or too complicated to be any fun. Racing games all seem to have screwed up physics resulting in unrealistically poor handling.....or unrealistically good handling.

I'm making no timeline predictions at all. Fact is, it doesn't matter how many followers you have when you lie, cheat and steal [G84m/G86m (lie), 9800GT, 9800GTX (cheat), their prices (steal)].... People are still fighting to get their laptops fixed or replaced due to faulty G84m/G86m GPU's that nVidia knowingly and intentionally released. Quite frankly, that wasn't just an "honest mistake"....otherwise nVidia wouldn't have lied about it for several months.

16. mr_47

mr_47 Guest

GPU:
    G RTX 3080TI GOC
    norm nvidia > ATi

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well not much, or anything to add to the WOW discussion since i distance myself from anything MMO related, couldn't be less a fan of the genre, but i have heard turning off HPET can sort stuttering issues with GTX460's, but you've probably already tried that.

As for the lying and cheating, when did that ever mean bad news for a business, especially when it comes to PC industry, as obviously companies like Intel, Microsoft or Apple have gotten to where they are through honest business practices.
    They can manage to get fined billions for their dishonesty, yet still turn more of a profit than their competitors, MS has been up to no good for years, the 360 had all the red ring of death stuff, but they still sell more multi-plat games than any other console.

In an ideal world, honesty would be repaid, and crime wouldn't pay, but it doesn't work like that, and never will.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    nVidia, when questioned about the G84m/G86m GPU failures, claimed they had no knowledge of it...when in fact, nVidia knew prior to release that the GPU's would fail prematurely and even admitted to that fact several months later.

As for the HPET, it was disabled by default....and since I can't find an explanation that justifies enabling it, I haven't bothered to change the setting from it's default of "disabled". The stuttering has been consistant through all drivers except 259.32.....but, they suffered from worse framerate drops in high detail areas than other drivers. Seems like it's a trade-off between stuttering and framerate drops.....Seems nVidia was doing better with drivers when they were rushing to release a new driver every couple days....now it seems like they've lost interest after a few hundred driver releases.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You mean a company lied about a defective product, thats a first and a complete shocker lol.
    Not sure what that has to do with GTX580 though.

Drivers have been fine for me, but i only play new games, with the 260.93 being especially good.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No mate i only buy Nvidia products becuase the drivers are better,i will probably hold on for Maxwell as there is nothing out there that can beat my GPU(s) performance wise,i know i dont have dx11 but think about it...how many games are dx11 heavy?I would say none tbh.