Bios does not detect HDD .. need some help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Ok, I have built many computers, and this is the first time this has happened to me.

I built a computer for a friend, all new parts, and for some reason, the computer will not detect the hard drive at all.

At first, it would not detect the dvd drive either .. but after trying it several times, changing sata cables and different connectors on the mobo, it finally detected the DVD drive.

I tried similar methods to get the HDD to be detected by bios, but it will not. The bios says there is no device connected no matter where I plug it in.

Both devices definately have power, and are securely connected.

The motherboard is a MSI NF750 G55 and the HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 320 gb.

Any ideas??

2. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Try debugging it on another rig. Plug the Barracuda 320GB hard drive into your computer and try one of your own hard drives in the new motherboard.

3. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    Hi all,

My infamous Seagate 500GB 7200.11 (ST3500320AS) is having errors in the BIOS and it does not allow me to boot into Windows. I have a RAID0 setup and it is the second time this has happened to me with this HDD (in fact, this was a returned RMAed HDD). I have contacted the manufacturer for the RMA which they have accepted the return but I would like to retrieve the data if possible. What I have done so far:
    1. upgraded the firmware to SD1A but it was pointless as it was already upgraded to SD1A some time ago
    2. ran SEATOOLS in DOS, the HDD is recognized but it hangs in the LONG test at the same sector
    3. ran the Vista CD in DOS to repair Windows but it hangs

From what I can conclude, the HDD isn't completely trashed but it is having serious problems and I am hoping I can retrive some data. Yes, I should have backed it up (especially with this faulty drive) but I am a little too late for that now. I really want my data back for now so I would appreciate if there is a known way to solve this.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    This is the reason I warn people against RAID 0 arrays.

If one drive is gone, you can't save the data, you need both due to striping.

What kind of errors? Is it detected at all?

Maybe it's your controller not the drive...Btw I have the exact same HDD no problems here...