How do you get Windows Media Player to stop running?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by miffywiffy, Oct 15, 2010.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I've just noticed this after a fresh install of windows but it keeps playing in the background, even if you end process it starts again. Like why? I restart and it's there running from the start, I click close and it's there still playing the video or music. I plug in my headset and I can still hear it on them but not the speakers. Weird thing is I've tried to disable the thing but it doesn't want to die.... gonna have to uninstall it at this rate.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    u mean wmplayer.exe 32* ? it wont go yeah..

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea i have it too sometimes, its if i close it to quickly, i just kill the process in task manager lol

You can also disable one service associated with it,.. its windows media player network sharing service. Well i disabled it and dunno im maybe it helps a little.

Or if you want to remove it completely (for win 7) go to control panel > programs and features > select turn windows features on or off and uninstall it there.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    If you have a logitech keyboard installed it will keep media player running.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yes true, that is a issue too:nerd:

i use g15 v2 and had to disable slideshow in gamepanel manager and then uninstall both slideshow drivers (color and monocrome) in found in device manager..

6. Alouch47

Alouch47 Guest

GPU:
    Evga RTX2080Ti FTW3
    ^ & @OP
    Right, shideshow is your culprit here. Have to disable it + the "logitech media display" in the gamepanel utility.