hexcore with max pre rendered frames

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by thisizbrian, Sep 25, 2010.

1. thisizbrian

thisizbrian Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SLI
    will bumping up from 3 to 5 (or higher) help my fps?

since my cpu isnt being maxed out in games i was wondering if this would help at all. i read that lower = less mouse lag and higher = more smoothness but mouse input lag... but not sure if it makes more sense going to say 5 pre rendered frames on a 6 core cpu.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not sure if it will help your FPS, but I've noticed that increasing the max pre-rendered frames up to 5 or 6 on my machine typically results in a smoother framerate....and I've never noticed any accompanying input lag.

Just try it out and see if it makes any difference.

3. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Is there any point for me to increse my value as well? I never got the use of this so never looked it up. CPU is Q9550 @ 3.2GHz and GPU is GTX460 1GB (800/1600/2050)

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Unless you have SLi, there's probably no point in adjusting the value beyond the default setting..

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^^ This

6. BCC335

BCC335 Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285/Evga GTX 480
    That's been my experience also. More often than not a setting of 2 from the normal standard preset of 3 seems to be the sweet spot for a little added response. Every game responds a little different but on my rig if im getting some slow downs and fps dips going to 5 always seems to smooth things out a bit.

7. Funkyseas

Funkyseas Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 470 SLI @ 800/1800
    And with sli ?
    Should i go up higher than 3 ? Maybe 5 ?

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    4 looks like the sweet spot - its smoother in most games and it minimizes tearing in some games.

using default 3 and say its perfect is stupid, experiment and you will find out :p :D

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have done more experiments than what you think :D , im an old Subsero overclocker and one of my main concerns has always been to try new and different things to squeeze out every bit of performance out of a VGA driver,just because of my opinion that 3 its good its not stupid by any means , no sir. I can show you many tricks that you dont even have the slighest idea for driver improvement on games and benchmarks :gape: , knowledge its a virtue ;).

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol that stupidity talk was more of a joke, i found it funny how you backed up his statement with all your enthusiasm :grin:,

i know i did some testing my self, well not so much as you :nerd: but still why do you think 3 is best? did you see some particular pattern with better results on 3?

well i found out that 4 is the best at lowest fps, in almost any game., except when i use vsync then i use 1-2 or 4 if it doesn't lag..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010

11. thisizbrian

thisizbrian Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SLI
    well if i can render more frames and not tax the cpu as i have 12 threads maybe a higher number will have more smoothness. will try it out :)

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I find that a value of 1 helps in fast paced online shooters like COD with input lag, but it does sometimes lower your overall fps but nothing that's noticeable. For instance I lock my fps in MW1 to 125fps, my PC can obviously smash that fps in this game as its quite old now and is very hardware friendly. So setting it to 1 does nothing to my fps whatsoever, it just makes it easier to kill people as the input lag in less than having it set to the default of 3. However, tearing does become really bad if you set it this low.

I find that leaving the setting on 3 for single cards is perfectly fine and lowering or upping the value does nothing, if you have vsync enabled then changing this setting is 100% pointless unless you experience micro stutter. If you have a dual GPU set up then upping the value can help as it gets the next few frames ready for the GPU's to crunch through and as you have more than 1 GPU it gives the GPU's more data to feed on as GPU's nowadays are seriously fast.

13. matthew.e

matthew.e Active Member

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB SLI @ 850MHz
    i have GTX 460's in SLI on an AMD 965 X4 @ 3.8GHz, i have set the pre-rendered frames to 8 in the NVIDIA control panel, and in the settings.ini for Bad Company 2, but i dont get any input lag, nor any improvements, not sure what's going on here.