AVP & Crysis Run at 24hz :(

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kanej2007, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I am using an HDTV for my gaming and the 2 above games are the ONLY ones that change my refresh rate from 60 to 24hz which results in bad lag.

How can I solve this or how to I add custom resolution and refresh rate in catalyst control panel?

The ONLY way for me to play the above games at 60hz is to play in windowed mode, once I put it in full screen it goes to 24.

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    hi,i presume your trying to 1920x1080,check that you have selected the correct dimension setting in the game for 1080p(which will auto select 60mhz) you need 16x9,16x10 will give black borders at the side,what size screen do you have and what make of monitor or tv are you using

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It's a Samsung LE32B550 32" 1080p

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    http://rs81.rapidshare.com/files/130922490/directrefresh_1.2-Gophn.zip

try this program, it's the only one that works in Vista and W7 too, just run it, set your desired refresh and you're done.

has helped many users with problems similar to yours, i also use it even though i don't have a problem just to make sure my refresh stays @ 60hz in all games.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Nice, I will give it a try! Thanks

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Tried the program, still no luck.

Crysis still went to 24hz, as for A V P, it did not even launch, I got a black screen and had to do alt + delete.

Anything else I can try?

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's strange, the program should've taken care of your refresh rate issue.

are you using a particular driver for your monitor or the windows plug-n-play one?

if you're using samsung's driver revert to plug n play and see what happens (just roll back the monitor driver) and if plug n play then find the samsung drivers for your monitor.

i don't understand why 24hz, i never even heard of such refresh before.

anyway try and see what happens, you can also use Windows Update (check for updates) and see if there's a driver for your monitor offered (under the Optional stuff).

8. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I remember having this problem with Crysis as well but I can't remember the solution... now it's eating away at my brain! Ahh!! Have you tried the 32 or 64 bit exe files (ie whichever one you don't normally use)? DX9 or 10 (or 11)?

9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    64 bit exe doesn't make any difference in either of the crysis games.

But @ O.P

Crysis vanilla can be fixed, run DX10 as normal, alt enter 4 times ( wait each time ) and it makes the game full screen by tricking it to go to 60hz. Crysis warhead only works @60hz inDX9 mode ( no fix ) but AVP3 works 100% in DX11 mode ( defaulting to DX10 on my PC ) @ 60hz, are you launching the dx9 avp3 exe?

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It works fine with directx9, when you try to run crysis with directx10, that's when it goes down to 24hz, so I've had to run crysis with dx9...

As for my drivers, I'm using windows plug n play standard drivers, I've never bothered updating or using Samsung's own driver as it works fine, only crysis running at 24hz but only if running dx10...

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I read this in another thread the other day, it's a problem with Crysis (and apparently AvP) and Samsung TV's.

12. H377

H377 New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    Hi,

I think I have find a work-around for this one. I had the same problem with these games but when I pressed the ALT+ENTER and went back to windowed mode the refresh rate changed back to the Windows default 60Hz. But going back to fullscreen again changed back everything.

So what I have found is maybe not the best but seems to be working. So the only way to have these games working @ 60Hz is that you have to hook up the TV via the good old VGA port to the PC. So in this case I guess the game cannot query the resolution and refreash rate from the TV so it uses the Windows defaults OR it gets different info from the TV.

But anyway it works in 1080p @ 60Hz.

Certaily the image processing features are limited when the TV receives signal from the VGA port but you get a good refresh rate.

Hopefully the developers will soon solve this problem.

But I cannot understand why the hell doesn't the game use the OS settings?

Hope I could help!

13. Jason_25

Jason_25 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6600 GT OC/17" HP CRT
    This is an easy one. Just set up a custom 1080p resolution instead of the default one. If it still acts up once you do this, you will need to additionally edit the Crysis config file for the correct resolution and refresh rate. I think it has to do with the specific way that Crysis requests a resolution change from Windows. Don't let anyone tell you that an HDTV is no good for a monitor. You should be able to play all your games exactly the same way as a dedicated monitor. Do NOT use the VGA port.

Edit: Just saw you asked how to do it with the ATI drivers. In my experience, the ATI drivers are awful. Stay with Nvidia.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  14. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Had the same issue with my TV and HDMI connector... That's due to the way DX10\11 treats display driver. Either run the game on DX9 or get DMI\VGA cable instead of HDMI, then you'll get rid of refresh rate problems forever (since the only available ones will be 59 and 60Hz).