What should I do with my old Voodoo2?

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by legierk, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No kidding?, so they get a second life then...

2. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi Banned

GPU:
    3dfxVoodoo5 5500AGP 64MB
    To be honest 3dfx collecting has become something fundamental from within, my 3dfx club has more than 40 collectors and it's not something hardly no one does, we collect 3dfc cards because 3dfx had several revolutions they made cards that gave our gaming experiences to much higher levels to game play, graphics and the 3D accelerated effects they gave.

With the Voodoo Graphics aka Voodoo1 3Dfx made the biggest revolution in the entire gaming market , which no other brand can steal from 3Dfx, with Voodoo2 3Dfx introduced SLI aka Scan Line Interleave this was another great revolution they showed as gave to the world., with their late released Voodoo5 series they made a revolution with the best 3D image quality when FSAA was enabled they also had the best performance as the used Rotated Grid Super Sampled FSAA as the others used the lesser impressive OGSSFSAA.

Anyways use Google for more facts about this or ask the die-hard in the many 3dfx forums out there you'd probably get the same direct answer as I am giving you know.

We have a slogan in our places too :

..." In this place all think voodoo ...
    if you aren't a voodoo user this is not the right place for you, simple and plain."...
    AmigaMerlin

here's the gallery of my 3dfx club :)
    http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/v/3dfx_collectors/?g2_GALLERYSID=29151d3145da4dd76ebd7154f8a0f19e

and here's the gallery website of the largest 3dfx collection in the world from gdonovan:
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/

You were in the industry of 3dfx you meant if so what was your purpose @ 3dfx? :)

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  4. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I have a similar setup going. Though mine is nowhere near as large. 3 cards so far.

5. slayer2005

slayer2005 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260
    My mom threw out my voodoo 3 without telling me :bugeye:

6. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi Banned

GPU:
    3dfxVoodoo5 5500AGP 64MB
    ah that's my best mate from Malaysia his works in China though, he's Edmindoab ;) He comes from Sha Alahm, Malaysia, about 13KM east of Kuala Lumpur ;)

Ed and I go back a long way hehe.

I had a similar collection like that, until my depressions came I sold it all heh , but now it' has been rebuilt, though what has happened with the previous one kind of remains like some scar from within. :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  7. Rogue John

Rogue John Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti w/GTX 285
    I will never forget the first time I saw Quake go from SW to V1 Glide!

It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!

3Dfx took gaming to a much higher level. LOL!

You young guys who never had to endure SW mode can't imagine the difference it made.

3Dfx made the whole gaming industry grow and take aim at the
    importance of 3D graphics for the gaming experience.

We all owe a debt of gratitude to the people at 3Dfx. No other crew was ever as in tune to gaming as they were.

I still think having a seperate 2D & 3D cards is best.

I worked in R&D for computer companies. I always had the latest & greates systems to use. I could always add my V2 12mb SLI to any system and enjoy fragging at work.

Thanx 3Dfx for changing my life!

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    It was truly impressive! :nerd:

9. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Not that long ago I didn't see how a VW Beetle could become a collector's item either. ;)

10. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Same here. I went out and bought the Monster 3d card (anyone else remember this one? came in a green box with a few games?) just so I could play it in glide. It blew my mind!

I eventually got a Voodoo 3 after that because the Monster 3d couldn't handle Quake 2. I had to upgrade wisely back then as I was a poor college kid circa 1998.

I wish I had an old school set up for the occasional old game. I want to play Daggerfall again without using DOSbox which is total crap!

11. udmin

udmin Active Member

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX680
    Man, my very first 3dfx card was a voodoo 2 with 12mb... i miss that 3rd need for speed (cant remember the name) and quake 2. I have even tried going back to quake 2 on my present computer and the thing wont even install.

I do still have a voodoo 3 somewhere though.

12. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    :boob:Hang it on your wall, it could be the start to a GPU time- line. Long live 3DFX and Glide.

13. legierk

legierk New Member

GPU:
    2x Zotac 8600GT SLi
    I was out for awhile....wow, very nostalgic posts! Well, I'm all teary eyed....thanks for the tips and thoughts! Craigs for $10....think that's what I'll do.

14. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    I still remember the First time i played Quake1 in a Voodoo2 card. it was just amazing. It was soo smooth and Colored that it felt real. being using Software render all the time sucked big time. and the best of it all was the Performance push that you getted by puting a brand new Voodoo 3 in Pentium 1 PC. the card itself was more powerful than the whole PC :D

15. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I still have all of my old video cards stored in my closet. A voodoo2, voodoo3, 2 ATI cards forgot what they were, 4 Nvidia cards, Geforce2, Geforce256 and Geforce4 MX and Geforce5700 (this card sucked big time i barely used it for a month).

16. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    Me too! Man that **** was excellent, Hot Pursuit and High Stakes were the prime of NFS imo

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Dahzeal: yeah.... only bad thing about games whose speed is based on the CPU clock more than an actual framerate. Kinda like if you try to play a game like Scorched Earth on any computer with a CPU over a few hundred MHZ..... damn near impossible.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nice...

[​IMG]

19. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    first page of threads is fair game bro. it isn't like this forum sees much action

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Uuh.... yeah.... that's probably for a reason.