The Best Diver Hd 4870x2 ??

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Pirataevilrp, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Pirataevilrp

Pirataevilrp New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Hd 4870x2-10.4
    Personal driver are you using in your 4870x2:biggun:, and what is better? Which yields more games?

2. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    If it weren't for bc2, i'd be on 10.4, but im on 10.5a (only problems with borderlands)

3. Varsos

Varsos Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870X2
    Have you tried 10.4a for BC2??? The loading times are fantastic!!!

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    id say 10.5WHQL or 10.5 hotfix.
    any higher will bork youir clocks :(

5. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Deep Sea :D

The 10.4a's get recommended a lot, as does the above TWL's, and welcome to Guru :)

7. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    I can't find the 10.4a, the official links for them are down, can someone please provide a mirror?

nvm :) http://www.fileshack.com/file_download.x/18350

edit: a little slower than 10.5a in loading times, but noticeable fps boost at least 10fps+ constant which is nice

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  8. vurt

vurt Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I've tried that latest 10.9a and the modified drivers (i'm on win7 x86), none seem to utilize the second GPU, at least there is 0 difference in FPS with AI on/off (tested FPS with Nehrim, the new Oblivion mod). It sucks getting 30 FPS, it's way too low for my specs. I know i've been able to get 60'ish FPS when the second GPU has worked (long time ago).

Any recommendations for a driver where the second GPU still kick in like it should for the 4870x2? I don't play many new games, mostly older stuff..

There's also some profiles thingy as a separate download i think? I've never bothered with that, is it good for anything?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  9. Eoma

Eoma Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070 SJS
    The 10.9a should work for 48x0 X2 cards in getting the 2nd GPU to go to proper 3d core and mem speeds. Try and use something like GPU-Z (open 2 instances and monitor each GPU). Crossfire works on full screen gaming only, it won't kick in if it's windowed.

And yes, if you're using the official ATI/AMD drivers, the Crossfire profiles should be installed.

I'm on the 10.9a and it's been good so far, will try TWL's latest 4.23a soon.

10. vurt

vurt Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks.

I'm running GPU-Z and 10.9a shows 750/900 speeds at all times, even in Windows, that can't be good.

The load on the second GPU does seem to kick in when i start a game, so it seems to be working.

What does the proflies do, do you need to mange them or "run" them somehow?

11. Eoma

Eoma Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070 SJS
    the 750/900 speeds are what we call the "2d/3d clock bug", and happens only when you run a DX9 application (i.e. after exiting said application, the core and mem clock remains in 3d mode). One simple fix would be to run any DX10 full screen app (like a small benchmark or something) and exiting (don't have to wait for it to finish). The clocks will reset back to 2d. This "bug" was recently re-introduced in 10.8b and 10.9a drivers which ironically was meant to fix the issue of the 2nd GPU not going to 3d speeds in the first place. :)

Don't have to manage/run/choose the profiles. The drivers use them automatically. Just download and install. Latest profiles have game specific optimizations that either make the game run properly and/or run faster on Crossfire systems.

12. zodden

zodden Guest

Which TWL version would be best for us to use? He has multiple. One is 4.23aV2, 4.23b, and 1.08 Final Build HD 3/4

The 4.23av2 is just out.

Thanks!

13. Eoma

Eoma Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070 SJS
    I'd wait a bit for the updated 1.08's or stick with that judging from the responses on TwL's thread.

14. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    All my issues fixed on 10.9a (+select redist 2010/select all - if its not by default).

edit: -_- second clock stuck on exit of certain games, but relaunching fixes

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  15. grimeleven

grimeleven Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870X2 2GB
    I use 10.5 since their release, tried 10.6 10.7 10.8 and they all had the 2nd core bug. I had noticed my games were not as smooth as before, GPU-Z was used + OSD to test and all my games ran on 1 GPU, no good i just re-installed the 10.5.

Problem solved, if it ain't broke don't fix it.... they say :)

Oh and btw all games runs butter smooth, SC2, Borderlands, Red Faction, ME2, BFBC2, Metro 2033, GTA4, WoW, Torchlight, KBAP, etc the list goes on.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010

16. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2
    Still using 10.4A with my 4870 X2.

My card is overclocked 800/950. Using the 10.5 or 10.5A drivers force me to lower my memory overclock to 900MHz for some odd reason. And also the memory speed gets stuck at 900MHz in 2D and 3D (some people call this a feature *shrug*).

So I went back to 10.4A.

I've tried 10.6, 7, 8, and 9, and they've all had problems with the second GPU not working most of the time.

The 10.9A actually got the GPU working at 3D speeds again. Ironically however now the second GPU gets stuck at 3D speeds and won't come back to 2D idle speeds. Haha, that's and old bug making a come back.

I also found 10.9A performance was very poor in SC2.

I have a feeling I'll be stuck on 10.4A drivers until I buy another card (something tells me it'll probably have a green logo on it somewhere).

17. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    Thought i'd give this thread a bump for my 4870x2 homies...hopefully still a few of us smart+poor enough to wait for 28nm lineup...

what's the verdict on anything past 10.5a with all those 2nd core clock speed bugs...?

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well it got fixed a while ago. currently im running 10.12 myself without any problems (some profiles of games of the last months are still missing though)

19. TIHan

TIHan Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 2GB
    At the moment, I use 10.5a only because Bad Company 2 works the best on it. 10.12 works alright on Bad company 2 except for the black/gray screen flickering. So I would use 10.5a or 10.12.