AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    Nice, it's amazing how much work/effort you put into these drivers man AMD devs should be ashamed, waiting for your new release I now it wil be a rock solid driver.

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Actually, I found now 3 options we can use. Seems as there has been 4 usually we are still missing one version, but got here a bit dilemma probably gonna add all 3 up soon enough,
    but it's a bit later than said above. So, not gonna add anything unfinished up today wanna see before I upload would there be an better option as when ever I make the driver now
    process like 100% clean the speed drops in benchmarks, but in real life gaming again they work like a dream. I got few sets now where speed is stable very high, but
    weird thing is they do not perform the same while added to test. Needs some installations to verify result.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD 5770 1 GB
    Allright.
    Will need to get around to trying that.

Thanks TWL.

4. You're work is amazing Twl, seriously. I'm in Awe at the dedication you have (even whilst out of smokes!) to creating these masterpieces.

On behalf of all of us here at the Guru3d Forums - thank you Twl, you're work is very much appreciated and I think some people are a bit quick to criticise and don't realise how hard you've worked and the amount of time you've spent which you could have quite easily to just never bother to do - because of you we have some seriously rock solid drivers which is one of those things that people always say "ati's driver's suck!" "don't go ati, the drivers will let you down!"...which they do..and they have, but you've changed that for a huge number of us.

You rock man! Keep up the great work.

5. ati666

ati666 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    :

thanks TWL for your hard efforts on these drivers, v4.20 is awsome on my hd3870.
    but i ahave a problem on my hd3870, the mosquito noise reduction and de-blocking funtions under Videos are grayed out and i cannot enable them.
    can you help please

6. superkid.net

superkid.net New Member

GPU:
    mobility 5730
    Hey i was not comparing the drivers.. I personally love ur drivers on radeon cards( desktop)... btw keep up the good work !:banana:

7. OPmind

OPmind Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1024MB
    Hi there!
    I've been lurking around for quite some time and finally decided to register.
    First of all: Great work TwL! I've been using your drivers since the 2.91 version and they all have performed well on my system.

Right now I'm using the HD3/4 Final Build v1.08 with 10.9 profiles - updated them by copying the two files from the app profiles installation folder into my system32 dir and reapplying your profiles registry fix, so that I don't have the ati app installed - hope that's right.
    Yesterday I briefly switched to the official 10.9 driver to check it out and noticed a +5% avg FPS increase in CS:S (my DX9 benchmark)... However, being used to absolutely stable FPS (no jumps at all) provided by your drivers I quickly switched back! The difference is more than noticable.

I would like to thank you for reminding me to update my chipset drivers and give other intel users a tip. I downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from station-drivers (newer than on intel's site, which I had) and installed them. However, when I checked the device manager I saw, that the drivers were not updated at all. The ultra-fast updating process made me suspicious. SO, TO THE POINT: Just make a shortcut to the setup.exe file and add " -OVERALL" parameter. This forces the program to update the drivers, which equals doing something useful for a change. Doing just that gave me a HUGE performance boost - 25-30%... Suddenly I can play SC2 on Ultra-High (no AA) settings and MW2 maxed out with AA enabled :)

8. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    Don´t mean to hijack the thread or anything... but is anybody playing F1 2010? I only get about 60% usage across both GPU´s (DH4850 crossfire). I am running 10.9a with newest CAP (supposedly include profile specific to this game). Unfortunately I have not had time to test TwL´s newest package to see if it makes a difference...

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, I know of this kind of issue. The problem is the new CCC, but old behaves like crap so in this driver case it's lose the options or lose the optimize. :(

Code:
    expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll
    Do this from any driver and copy the 'atioglxx.dll' to game folder (perferably also same on 'atiglpxx.dl_'). I'd test v10.4b first google it up and then v9.7. These are major jump versions on ATI. (10.4 WHQL was new set already over 10.4b and v9.8 is a new set above v9.7).

It doesn't need profiling this is/will be like running 'dirt 2' or 'grid'. So, it's gonna have an issue with processing 'really big one on CFX' where best driver
    they can dump up will be some combination of 10.8b5(10.9a) in the DX10-11 drivers.

Working on it I think I can improve these kind of games on single cards at least quite a bit.

10. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    I see, Actually DX11 comes disabled by default for this game (apparently still has quite a few bugs, not that it matters in my case HD4850s so DX9 only as game only supports DX9 and DX11 I think). Will try to force Dirt 2 crossfire profile to see if it helps at all... Thanks for the quick reply though...

11. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    Managed to replicate this 2d clock bug for the first time today. Only happens in windowed mode when msi afterburner is enabled. I'll keep monitoring this to see if it is consistent to only these two together, probably just windowed mode on its own.

12. Eoma

Eoma Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070 SJS
    Are you extending your display into another monitor/tv ? I came across a post explaining that Avivo doesn't work if the combined res if above a certain figure (3yyyx2yyy or something). Try disabling the extra display and open CCC again, they should be selectable now. it worked for me.

13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @commonly

Current now added drivers:
    Ok, stabilized build v4.22a is now up and I created very small 5.4 MB patch for simply patch the previous v4.20 to v4.22a. The patching might need reboot
    (shouldn't, but there definedly is an effect). New build we will be using very fast error correction. There's always errors, so, main question is how fast can
    be stabilize the hardware against those errors. So, we will be using now 10.7/10.9a/10.9/10.4a CCC:s to get features working and to stabilize the processing.

Ideally Catalyst AI should be disabled on this build as it slows down. So, if anyone is running Vantage make sure you disable the Catalyst AI. (I ain't kidding :) )

Future of development:

We will be moving to another driver out of the CCC v10.9(a) builds. This new driver behaves extremely bad when added some real performance under the hood.
    Ideally best builds are from the so called '10.7a' driver branch(as I like to call it) as it can stand the heat unlike the new CCC 10.9(a) editions + there an
    bonus in that serie as there actually is an updated version to boost the speed further and now that I know where to look for processing I think I can build
    better build upon other drivers.

I did quite an testing upon the 10.9(& a) and there is an huge locked speed in these which is incredible bad + the new profiling sucks (hell it's even worst than no profiling at all. This is what happens when you stop developing drivers).

14. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Oh mate, great drivers, but i have a problem that i can't fix... with noone drivers... i have CTD and many with hd 5870 crossfire in the game battlefield bad company 2.
    Someone know a true way to fix this and at same times use the new drivers sets?

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    You don't even tell us what's the problem. So, it's damn hard to consider fixing/understanding it.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    How do we extreme delete them? :D

17. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, the point in there is that when you activate an 'Catalyst AI' it will allow you to process AAs and AFs and so on clean. The Profiling is damn horrid. So,
    to get clean you would need to get rid of 'atiapfxx.exe' and 'atiapfxx.blb'. However, there's an extra but in this basically best plan would have 'some files'
    in there and that's v10.2 CCC application profiles (less the better).

Anyway, it's too much trouble to go this far and I think it's better to just let people settle with the 'newest' even while they suck.

(Under crossfirex of course this is a whole another matter as the profiling itself tells CFX what to multi-thread, but under single card condition these profiles ATI creates are only an extra bag of load while loading game.)

@commonly

Hmm, note to people playing BF:BC2. You really now wanna check your memory speed of your hardware under v4.22a. Any extra Mhz on memory
    clock will make the game jump because it has to correct. However, this is how the driver should work and the game improves after some play time as it
    'learns' to correct errors faster. There's always errors no question about it.

-edit-

-50 Mhz on Memory clock below your highest benchmark stable OC would be pretty ideal.

(This is due usage of ATI new 'improved' DirectX driver. Older DX1x based drivers worked just fine to clean higher clocks 10.9a will not.)

18. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Is there anything we can actually use to run some benchmark and see the error log of the corrected errors. This could be very helpful with memory overclocking.

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Sadly, no as ATI has not revealed specs to public on the subject. Further more the memory is in 4x256MB blocks and OpenCL cannot detect usage levels. So,
    perhaps someone can beg ATI to release mod their drivers to have memory usage checking or correct it to OpenCL.

If I could I would include how to check the ATI memory at all on first page, but as of yet it's a no go.

@commonly

Question ?

Would you guys prefer if we would have DirectX 9 and 10-11 drivers separately?

Examples:
    I mean ATI Driver team seems to have this weird style of creating drivers either pushed to DX9 or DX10-11, but never both. (like example 10.7a/10.8/10.9 = clean DirectX 10-11 driver, 10.4a/10.6b/10.8b6/10.9a = clean DX9 driver).

As I am seeing currently I have been endlessly trying to get entire DirectX functional with 1 single driver (to multiple setups), but there's this serious
    driver problem I have here. As I can create an DirectX 9 based very fluid driver which will works very well under DX9,10 and have decent gaming
    experience on DX11, but if we switch that around we could have best possible gaming experience to DX10-11 and DX9 wouldn't work at all that
    good. We will never get an true BF:BC2/Dirt 2/etc DX11 driver unless the build against driver which actually threads CFX and doesn't work against us.

20. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Oh man sorry, i'm italian so not good in english, i just asking some information because in this way i can't play bad company and sc2 with same drivers.Don't be rude that was just a question.
    Anyway sorry.