palit\gainward gtx 460 problem with driver 260.63

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jammed_Death, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Parabellum Uk

Parabellum Uk Member

GPU:
    SLi - Gainward GTX460 GLH
    Sorry in advance guru forums but I needed to vent my anger

Guys dont you think the problem is more with nvidia & lack of good driver support for this new G104 / 460 product... rather than levelling all the blame on the nvidia partners who simply make the product.

A graphics card is only as good as the drivers that support it So I say its down to nvidia for this whole series of failings related to the 460 product.

Failing to deliver good stable drivers for the GTX460 "im not taking about 2series gpu or 4series gpu 480 / 470 / 465" but NVIDIA has FAILED & FAILIED BADLY with its support for its new product line the G104 - 460 and I for one feel let down, frustrated & quite frankly cheated out of my hard earned money...

I mean the 256 beta and wqrl driver set work fine with the 460 line up but they are not fully optimized for the GTX460... & there was no issue with bios then ? now the 260's come out and its a freaking nightmare, So how can it be a GPU partners fault when all they simply do is make the card, IMO the blame lies firmly with NVIDIA for failing to support its newly branded product... and letting its loyal fan base / customers down.

"We the customers should not have to run round like lemmings worrying about flashing bios because Nvidia messed up with a beta driver... Its up to nvidia to put it right" Imagine if you flash your gpu bios and it goes wrong and your card is dead what happens then, who do you send it back to for warranty... Bios flash gone wrong by you the end user could = NO WARRANTY!

I am happy with my 1st ever Gainward branded GPU's but im less than impressed with NVIDIA... last WHQL 19.07.10 thats 9+weeks ago. Seriously nvidia this is a poor poor show and a fall from grace.

Truth is NV has a good product here with the 460 BUT its needs a good driver set to make it function how it was intended... THEN it will be DX11 done right!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If the fault was all Nvidia's then it would affect every single GTX460, and it doesn't, it doesn't even affect every single Gainward/Palit GTX460.

While your correct that a card is only as good as the drivers/software that support it, your forgetting that the Bios is the most important piece of software for the card, and every different brand will use a different one, and each brand will have a different bios for each card.

It's not up to Nvidia to put anything right, they just designed the specifications of the card, and Gainward make the cards based on those specs, if Gainward get it wrong, you can't blame Nvidia, the fact it only affects their cards, and they quickly released a fixed bios is a complete admission of guilt, and while Nvidia should of checked with them when releasing this driver, it is a beta driver, so its likely to be buggy, thats the point of a public beta.

3. Lpaz

Lpaz New Member

GPU:
    Gainward Gtx 460 2Gb SLI
    So you think it's a 64 Bit OS issue, could be, if it worked for you.
    I'm going to try to install xp 32 so i can dual boot, OS's don't come much plainer than that...

4. Parabellum Uk

Parabellum Uk Member

GPU:
    Your right about it not affecting every single card as both my GLH editions are trouble free regarding any bios troubles, in fact they run very cool & quite.

It's funny how the 256 driver set did not contain all this bios grief so what did nvidia get wrong with the 260's ? and point taken about the bios being important but so are the drivers.

Im just annoyed at the seemingly lack of support for this new 460 product the fact that there appeared to be ZERO bios issues with the 256's. and now with the 260's nothing but trouble... so what did nvidia leave out ?

Now im using the 256's pruely because the 260's make BC2 to crash randomly to desk top... funny how one driver will run a game & then the next driver release fail.

Oh and the 256's cause high DPC but maybe thats a nvidia partner problem too... or is it maybe that nvidia are failing to fully support 460 with a solid driver "is that too much to ask"

9+ weeks nuff said!

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While i do agree that 9 weeks is a touch long between WHQL driver releases, i would rather wait longer for actual results, rather than have monthly ones were any differerences are placebo, plus whql cert means nothing to me anyway, as long as there a good few beta's, im happy enough to test them all.

If your two GLH editions are trouble free concerning the bios, why are you using the 256's?

As i said before, i don't think Nvidia got anything wrong, i think the 260.63 drivers just showed up a flaw with the Palit/Gainward bios, so its plain to see who got it wrong, i just worry the whql driver could take a step backwards for all us without issues, just because one GPU vendor messed things up.

Even their bios update is a mess, it doesn't work on many peoples system, apparently anyone who is using an SLI motherboard, even if they are using a single card, and that is certainly the case with myself, its been one issue after another with the Palit GTX460's since release, first time i've used them personally, and while i wouldn't say it is the last, im certainly more cautious.

You keep forgetting that this is a BETA driver, things are likely to break, your supposed to test them and get back to Nvidia so they can fix issues like crashing with BC2.

6. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I don't understand why some Palit users are affected and some aren't like me. My card came flashed with the 40% fan BIOS, for those affected, did you have to flash that BIOS manually?

7. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    What version of BIOS do you have? AFAIK only 70.04.0F.00.01 was fine (and now the latest one too).

8. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    The bios fixed BC2 crashing to desktop for me for the 260 drivers.....

9. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I don't remember the number. but I tried flashing the 40% fan BIOS and it said I didn't need upgrading. I checked my fan speed in MSI afterburner and it was at 40%, so I assumed it came preflashed.

Now I'm on the latest one, still working fine. These drivers are awesome. No stutters in Mafia 2 with all settings at max and AA. 1280X800 though.

10. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    I have a SLI of 460 GTX GS 1Go (Gainward) and I never had any issue so far with any the 260.xx serie. I won't update my bios for nothing so I guess I'm lucky. Thx for the poster anyway, cuz if one day something goes wrong, I will know where to look at ;)

My bios version: 70.04.0F.00.01

Anyone having issue with this bios version?

11. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Read my post above. :)

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Err...you might be angry but at the end of the day they are BETA drivers for a reason.

All companies release beta products and allow consumers to test them...generally speaking, looking at the main 260.63 driver thread a lot of people are quite happy with the drivers. It's only you Palit/Gainward customers who have had a bad experience and have made the polls doddle down to the 80% satisfactory mark otherwise it would probably be 90%!

I got fed up with ATI drivers, yes they release drivers monthly but everytime they release an update a fix would be broken that was fixed in the previous driver release.

For example if they released Catalyst 10.5 and you reported a bug...it wouldn't be fixed until Catalyst 10.7 as Catalyst 10.6 would have already been sent to Microsoft for WHQL testing. So you would end up waiting 2 months to see if it has been fixed or not.

I would rather wait 3 months for a decent driver than constantly update my drivers every month with ATI. Quite frankly I got bored of watching the same old bugs being re-introduced with their drivers.

13. Alouch47

Alouch47 Guest

GPU:
    Evga RTX2080Ti FTW3
    Hi. Quick reply for those having trouble flashing there bios with SLI.
    When you launch the update, it simply run nvflash in quiet mode. The problem is that it see that you have SLI so it asks what card to flash, and that's why it sits there waiting for ever.
    The solution is to manually run nvflash for win x64 SLI and no problem. I can up this for U if you want.

I have flashed many times like this.

BTW i have pb with m'y GLH with BFBC2 screen going white, but I thought it was driver related. I'll test this new BIOS and see what happen.

14. Parabellum Uk

Parabellum Uk Member

GPU:
    Wow that is good news as the one complaint I had with my cards is that I could not flash them nvidia-sli 780i mobo, so that is good news thank you Alouch47. So how do you flash them manually with NVflash as I have only ever flashed my motherboard and NEVER flashed a graphics card, "how do you select the bios you want to flash with... and do you flash in normal windows or safe mode"

But then im worried about killing my cards if I mess up + my cards are using 70.04.0F.00.01 bios and every game is running good except BFBC2 which will randomly crash to desk top with the 260's drivers... not all the time but like I said just random

I would greatly appreciate a quick "one on one" with anyone who can help with nvflash.

Gratz

15. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)

well you simply write nvflash "Biosname.rom"
    without ""
    but you first must get the extracted bios from somewhere.

by the way at least for me it was safer to use NVFLASH directly rather use
    Palit program as it crashed my system and it take me two day to fix my
    system and I even have Just a single card but never had problem with nvflash .

by the way I wanted to test the platinum version of these BIOS,I wonder if somebody can post that bios here

16. Widde

Widde New Member

GPU:
    SLI 460 GTX
    I uppgraded my two Gainward 460 GTX yesterday with the gainward bios installer on my win 7 pro x64.
    When i had both cards in the bios updater hung at the extracting modules etc.
    I hade to manually remove one card and flash the one at the time and that worked flawless.
    One thing i notised right away what that the bios lag i was having with the "70.04.0f.00.01" was gone and the bios was much more responsive. I also have had zero problems with the 260.63 beta with the new bios "70.04.1b.00.02" exept for one CTD in alien swarm during map load/connection issue but i read that i more likely a game error than driver/computer error and many more are having this problem.
    Bad comapany 2 and L4d2 works perfect after several hours gaming aswell as 15min furmark, tessmark and fluidmark.

17. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Can you elaborate a little? I'm on 70.04.0F.00.01 modified by BetA13 and I'm fine with 260.63. What's about BIOS lag? :3eyes:

18. Widde

Widde New Member

GPU:
    SLI 460 GTX
    Sure! With the 70.04.0F.00.01 the bios was more sluggish while scrolling almost like a low refresh rate. While booting and the IRQ tabel and so on came upp it was more like tap, tap ,tap , tap while scolling and now with the new bios it's more fluid and faster.
    Before the 460 gtx i had 2x 275 gtx and they were much faster in bios scolling than the older 460 gtx bios, and now with the new bios for the 460 gtx they are up to par with my older 275:s.

No problems with this bios so far.

19. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Aha, I understand now. I don't have those problems.
    Thanks for clarifications.:thumbup:

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Anyone know if the extracted bios is anywhere to download, only been able to see he 2gb one so far, and you can't manually extract it, as its password protected.