ATi Catalyst 10.9a Hotfix Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Sep 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I've not had any problems with this new hotfix, or the official 10.9's - or anything back to the 10.1's for that matter, and even that was because my card is an engineering sample which uses a different memory controller than the retail 5970s.
    Add to that, the engineering card fluke is the ONLY time in 15+ years that I've had a problem with ATI drivers. There's no way it's the system, as we're talking about at least 20 different setups here i my own experience alone...

...just sayin'

Psychlone

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Yet there are problems as you can see in the release notes.
    So your theory just ran into the drain.

3. colin87

colin87 Active Member

GPU:
    270x xfire
    I gave up with the 3D clock bug. I flashed both my cards with edited bios, disabled UPLS, and finally, my clocks are running as it should.

I guess we all can bitch and moan about the drivers, as long as there is somehow to fix, or a workaround, I'm happy.

4. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    the full original driver meant to be released is 10.9a, it's not a real hotfix...10.9 wqhl official, is a cutoff and an older release for "fast delivery"...the best driver for now it's 10.9a, is newer in any file if you compare them...BUT i think it's a bit slower than 10.8 and 10.9 official, and i can't undestand why......:)

5. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    Good for you. Really. But my point was that people that are complaining about new drivers are usually upgrading because they already have problems. Also if you re-install your OS it IS recommended to install the latest drivers. In other words "if aint broke, dont fix it" is a pretty stupid slogan. Especially when it is directed at people complaining on a forum like this.

As a programmer I think it's always good to be as updated as you can be and only roll back/ try older drivers if you have problems. I remember when we had a problem at work whith users roaming user profile not getting updated to the server at log out due to a bug in nVidia's gfx driver. It took a while for us to notice this and we were pretty chocked to find out it was due to a faulty gfx driver. You might be having transient bugs like this without even knowing it.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Funny you should say that... I ran the Heaven 2.1 benchmark last night to see how it ran with the 10.9a drivers and not only did it seem to take far longer to actual load to the test itself but it seemed to run poorer than it did with 10.8/10.8b. Now with CrossFireX the framerate usually drops to 20 fps at the start with Tessellation on Extreme (1920x1200, 4xAA/16xAF, etc.) until near the end when it drops to around 14 fps but when I ran it last night it plummeted to a new low of 9 fps during the early part, a figure I haven't seen since I ran it on one HD 5870! At that point I just hit Escape to quit the benchmark and went to bed. Will try it again over the weekend to see if it was a one-off.

I've also encountered what I think are longer loading times in other games too but I can't be 100% sure as I might be just imagining it. Doesn't happen for them all, just some, e.g. Mafia II.

7. Mr Dohz

Mr Dohz Active Member

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    Hi everyone , is it possible to install on top of existing CAT 10.9 ?

Thanks. :)

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I did with no problems, although I do edit the config file to enable the hidden Upgrade option now and use that.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  10. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I always remove the old driver first and, touch wood *touches wood*, no issues installing driver after driver after driver........

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just remember that if there are issues, don't blame the driver before retrying with a clean install. ;)

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Honestly, the only reason I'd even look at the release notes is if I was having issues so I could see if they've been resolved.
    Where I haven't had any issues whatsoever since 10.1 (which turned out to be the ES card's fault), and no issues for the previous 15+ years, I've had no reason to look at the release notes.

I'm certainly not saying that there aren't problems...half of these people wouldn't even have found Guru3D if they weren't experiencing problems with their graphics cards, BUT, I am saying that I, along with several others, must be an exception to the 'rule'.

I have no idea what it could come down to - but the rigs themselves can't be the only determining factor in driver problems, since those of us that have no problems all have different rigs, and have had many different rigs in the past that still didn't have any issues.

Psychlone

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    For me 10.8 and 10.9 don't coop with my HDMI connected display, 10.9a seems to fix it, its not mentioned in the release notes though.

But your right, its not only down to the rigs but to the games as well.
    I don't know how many games you got, but I would only scratch to of the iceberg compared to all the different games others manage to play within a month.
    And some of these games got issues listed @ ATI HQ, even with a 5970 as yours.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well i have been only playing a few games recently and have tried every drivers over the last few yrs and past 10.5 certain games which i can load up and run with/out vsync prefectly, eg napoleon total war, now i cant.

if i can get smooth gameplay with 10.5 and then 10.8 for eg the units stutter how is that user error on my part which is the point i think you have been trying to make. i.e that ati drivers aren't at fault.

well unless i am somehow doing something wrong i can only see the drivers being at fault. or how else does the game run perfectly on an older driver?

bizarre co-incidence? not. whilst i agree with you a lot of cases user error can come into it but it's no myth i think the last drivers from ati haven been pretty bs or depending on the games u play you might get lucky.

16. Kanemura

Kanemura Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB
    These plus the new profiles run great for me. Tested on Sacred 2, FFXIV, FO3, Riddick Dark Athena, Dirt 2 DX11, AVP DX11, Bioshock DX10, Borderlands and Oblivion. So far no issues on any games.

17. Mele

Mele Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
    Doe this hotfix fix the Flickering issue in games due to Catalyst A.I. being enabled? I have a 5970 and I been stuck on 10.6 with no issues, 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 all have this Flickering. It only goes a away if I disable Catalyst A.I.?

I have my card connected HDMI to my HDTV via the HDMI adapter connected to the card.

If you guys can help it would be much appreciated.....Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  18. Dreamskiller

Dreamskiller Member

GPU:
    HD4870X2
    Apparently, this is only a fix "which doesn't work" for X2 cards.

I can't believe this...
    I HAVE TO play to SC2 ^^

19. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    just use d3doverride...vsync in everything helps...vanishing flickering...any driver, any ati cfx card...

20. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    if u read what i wrote u would've know what it meant plus if some thing is recommended doesn't mean u have to do it.
    i wasn't referring to people who have genuine probs but to guys who cause some of these probs on themselves(and yes ppl do this)
    so my slogan was being use appropriately...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010