Gaming on an imac

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Usuario, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    Hi. I would like to buy an 27" IMAC but of course I am concerning about gaming

The Imac comes with a high resolution IPS panel( 2560 by 1440 pixels ) and a ATI 5750 vga.

The other specs are I7 2,93 Ghz 8 GB RAM 1333 and 1 T hard Drive

Ok Guys. Before you trow stones on me ( I dont even know if there is such expression in english:nerd:) I know this card is not able to handle such a high resolution with everything maxed out.

My questions are:

1- What resolution will I be able to play with a decent frame rate using a 5750? I like to play FPS games mostly

2- Do you think it is a good upgrade considering my current pc? :bang:

By the way it is possible to run windows 7 natively on a MAC. I am sure about that

Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I think the best question to ask is...Why a mac? I'm not asking to keep you from buying it because I'm a PC guy...just to make sure that you're buying one for the right reason.

Cause gaming isn't the right reason.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Bootcamp can install windows 7. 5750 is about as fast as my 9800, I play my games at 1600x1200 which is my monitors highest resolution with no issue.

4. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    Yeap. I kwow. I just would like to have an "all included" computer with a big good IPS screen. That's the reason. But if I cant play games with a decent frame rate I definetely will not buy it

5. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    Can you play crysis well in that resolution ?

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Then just buy the big, good, screen. You don't have to go all in on a Mac for an awesome screen.

The monitor's resolution is just too huge. And if you start playing at non-native resolutions, its gonna look like crap, so what's the point of having a nice monitor?

Just get a PC with a decent video card, and get an awesome monitor. Unless you're planning on doing something you're not telling me.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Buy big monitor and good PC. Then if you want to have Mac, but dont need high-end hardware to do what you want, buy used Core2Duo 13" MacBook and connect it to that monitor.

8. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    Well, yes there's something else. In my country the IMAC 27" costs U$ 4000.00 and since I am travelling to America shortly I would be able to buy it for U$ 2.000.00. So it makes me wondering . . .:3eyes:

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I just checked Apple's site, the configuration you listed costs $2.4K USD.

- The monitor is good
    - An i7 870 is good (assuming it's not from a crap batch)
    - The RAM is el-cheapo garbage... "1333MHz" = 166MHz
    - The video card is LULZ, calling it anything aside from bottom of the barrel would be a lie. Maybe it's good for 1280x720 in modern games...
    - They don't say what the 1TB drive is, probably the cheapest OEM specific trash they can get

Most importantly the motherboard is no doubt some OEM trash from Foxconn which will give you no options, you won't be able to OC squat.

A 5750 on that monitor? No we will not throw stones at you, we will throw large boulders. Go ahead and spend $2.4K before whatever the taxes are on that crap, it's your choice whether or not you want to be stupid.

10. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    1. Buy an iMac in America
    2. Return to Brazil
    3. Resell the iMac
    4. Make a profit of $2000 USD

:)

Anyways, to answer your original question, the HD 5750 will have trouble playing most system-intensive games at native resolution. Expect to run Crysis at medium-low settings at 2560x1440 in order to stabilize the frame rate. Other games should run much better, but you'll be hard-pressed to do much better than medium with some high settings for anything moderately intensive.

Drop in a new GPU (i.e. GTX 460) and experience a huge increase in performance. If you can find a Core 2 Quad for a decent price, go get it. A new motherboard would be nice, but not necessary for you to run the new components.

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    if youre willing to spend 2k US... you could build a superior PC for a lot cheaper, dual boot windows 7 and hackintosh and with the left over money buy a panasonic IPS panel TV.

im running the panasonic thl37g10a 37inch ips panel tv and its pretty darn good.

12. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    If you are buying for gaming reason than you shouldn't because Macs don't have that many games and if you can't build a PC by yourself than go to cyberpowerpc.com, best place to buy a gaming pc.

13. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    Well... Thanks for the kind words.

14. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    Thanks for the advice. I think you are just right

15. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    37 inch! !UAU!! What kind of gpu do you need for such a huge monitor ? I mean Whats its native resolution?

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It's HD-TV so only 1920*1080.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Calm down, it's not that serious.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You can indeed game on a Mac, but not really too recommended if your main prerogative is gaming. Macs are better for multimedia work or basic office work as well. If you're mainly playing games, just build a PC.

I have a Macbook and it's great for running my computer security suite and etc. (MacOS X is a UNIX variant so it can run 'em) along with BackTrack Linux which I have on my USB key. I run Counterstrike, Portal, Starcraft, Starcraft II, Sims 3 and Team Fortress II on my Mac when on the go.

deltatux

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  19. Usuario

Usuario Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950 GT FANLESS
    Thanks for the input.
    I see you own a 4850. How good is it for playing FPS?

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    About as good as a 5750.