ATI does not let me run 16:10 resolutions on my 16:10 screen

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by L0st117, Sep 10, 2010.

1. L0st117

L0st117 Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI Mob. RadeonHD 4870
    I have an Alienware m17x with 2x ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870s, on a 1920x1200 screen. ATI is not giving me the option to run any 16:10 resolutions EXCEPT for my native 1920x1200. The only other options they give me for resolutions are either 16:9 or 4:3s. I've reinstalled the drivers literally at least 20 times, still to no avail. I've gone EVERYWHERE in CCC, tried every setting, still doesn't work. I tried installing the desktop drivers (I didn't mod them because I don't know how), still didn't work.

I even reinstalled windows, still didn't let me run 16:10s. Reinstalled all the latest ATI drivers, even installed HydraVision, still won't let me run 16:10s, EVEN THOUGH MY MONITOR IS 16:10!

I tried this:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and this:
    [​IMG]

:bang:
    Any ideas?

2. L0st117

L0st117 Active Member

GPU:
    **ALSO: Here's the weird part: If i plug my laptop into an HDMI cable and hook the HDMI cable up to my HDTV (1920x1080), my laptop will give me the option to run a BUNCH of 16:10 resolutions, like 1680x1050 and 1440x900, even AFTER I unplug the TV. But when I restart my laptop the options are gone.

I can't even chose 16:10 resolutions in games, unless I do the HDMI thing. But that makes no sense bc my HDTV is 16:9, NOT 16:10.

3. rone

rone Member Guru

1920x1200 is 16:10 and 1920x1080 is 16:9 .

4. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    2xXFX 5870 "XT" Crossfire
    yeah 1920x1200 is 16:10 resolution

5. Danny Nissan

Danny Nissan Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    He knows this. He states clearly that he can use 1920X1200 but not any other 16:10 resolution.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Isn't there a display driver available for that display?
    I would try to find one first, noticed it says Mobile PC Display.
    If that doesn't help you need to get the driver inf modded.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  7. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I didn't realize anyone would ever want to run a non-native resolution. Anyway, it probably allows for more 16:10 options because of the TV. It wouldn't change it on the laptop when the TV is plugged-in, correct? The TV would be able to handle all of those resolutions which is why when its plugged in they appear. Realistically the only reason they wouldn't show up is because the laptop screen is reporting those resolutions only. I would search for a custom ATI resolution fix or something like that, but if the laptop is reporting those resolutions only, then there probably isn't much you can do unless you can get yourself a driver update for the screen. Applying the correct or newest driver will allow the monitor to send the correct information to the graphics driver.

8. L0st117

L0st117 Active Member

GPU:
    I want to run non-native resolutions because playing Crysis at 1920x1200 on high settings is relatively demanding; I normally run it at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 (which lets me keep it fullscreen without proportion/ratio distortion) and still get awesome fps.

No, the thing is as soon as I plug the HDMI cable into the TV, the extra 16:10 resolutions appear as options on my laptop. And if I unplug my TV/hdmi cable and send the signal back to the laptop screen, my LAPTOP SCREEN will let me run those 16:10 resolutions, like 1440x900 / 1680x1050, as well as my games. But if i turn my computer off and turn it back on, those 16:10s are gone.

How do I update or find the drivers for my screen/monitor? I didn't know monitors needed them. Hell, how do I even know what model screen I have? Alienware m17xs come in 1440x900 and 1920x1200, so it must have a model or serial, right?

9. dakon

dakon Member

GPU:
    MSI 6990 & 6970
    If you go to CCC, Desktop and Displays, right click on the monitor you want to change the resolution, select configure, go to HDTV Support, you can create custom resolutions there.

I would also look for a driver for your monitor as one specific to your make and model installed most likely would also fix the problem :)

10. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I've looked around, people seem to be using the ATI mobility Catalyst drivers instead of what Alienware offers. The driver on dell's site is from 2009. I've looked everywhere for a driver for your screen but nothing has come up, which is odd. Monitors use drivers for the color profile and it contains all compatible monitor resolutions and bit rates. Where it shows your monitor it would say who makes it or the model instead of the generic mobile PC display. Its unfortunate there isn't one. I'm not familiar with hooking up TV's so I cannot say what that is doing that is causing the resolutions to appear. Try what the above post says to do, creating custom resolutions and see if that works..

Also can you try and just go into the game and set the resolution you want in the game or does it not show up there either? When I go into a game it usually just lists all resolutions, so you don't actually have to change your desktop resolution just in game.

11. L0st117

L0st117 Active Member

GPU:
    when i do that, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

if i hit Properties, it takes me to the Desktop Properties screen, the 1st screenshot i linked

12. L0st117

L0st117 Active Member

GPU:
    thank you both for your assistance and for trying to find a driver for my monitor. i'll keep looking, although i haven't even been able to find out what monitor i have (like what the serial name is or something).

i am aware that games normally list all possible resolutions, but literally EVERY game ONLY offers the EXACT SAME resolutions as my desktop/ATI offers... and when I do the thing with the HDMI cable, ALL my games will then offer me the new 16:10 resolutions... it's so wierd

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just checked at Dell, R2 catalyst drivers are ancient, and no monitor driver, think problem is that Windows 7 doesn't offer native support for it.
    So you need to either get a modded inf forcing the resolutions or hack with regedit.
    Seems your missing HDTV support, is your CCC set to advanced mode?
    Maybe you can find something over at laptop2go.

EDIT: Your right clicking on the wrong spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  14. L0st117

L0st117 Active Member

GPU:
    What is a modded info, and where can i get one? Also, what do I need to change in Regedit?

CCC is set to advanced mode. What specifically should I search for at laptop2go?

When I click the little icon in the bottom left, it takes me to:
    [​IMG]

15. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    HP ENVY RTX 2080 LM
    First of all, why is alienware selling rigs with last-gen mobility graphics, but then again, why is one of their laptops $2500 and have a mobility 5730 and have an i7-650? eh...

I would say that laptop monitors usually don't have their own driver, but there is no reason why there can't be execptions. There are programs that can force resolutions like powerstrip, but it tends to screw with the registry to do it, and I don't recomend that program, as there are others. Frankly, you would be better off just reducing AA, because that makes it render in resolutions above what you are running anyway and give rather dimishing returns above x2 at such high resolutions.

Running 1920x1200 with 3xAA would look better than 1680x1050 with 4xAA anyway, and be less stressful too.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It's the old version, the R2 has a 5870m

@ OP
    This should enable all the desktop settings etc.
    HD Mobility Modder
    Read their forums, I'm not sure if it works with the most recent catalyst releases, you will find guides and tips there.

17. L0st117

L0st117 Active Member

GPU:
    OMG I JUST CHECKED ALIENWARE STOPPED carrying the 4870s, they only carry 1x 5870 and 2x 5870. It's tiem to call 'em up and say "hai my computer's broken" and they'll send me a new one

WITH DX11 CARDS
    i think i just soile my pants now

18. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    Hey again,

Just checking back in and see you might try and get a free upgrade :nerd: Hope that works out that would be awesome.

Just wanted to mention that I've never seen games change what resolutions they offer, that is weird. When I go into game options, the game will list 640x480 up to 25x16, sometimes it shows 32/16 bit choices and sometimes even refresh rates. Games now a days though offer instead usually just offer resolution, and v-sync/fps limiter. But I noticed with my games it will offer 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. Some games actually have the option to pick wide/normal then depending on what you choose, it will affect the resolution options. Sometimes they even have some really weird aspect ratios, since my monitor would never use any of those besides the 16:10, I figured it listed all resolutions the game offered, not in any relation to my monitor.

Keep us updated. Let us know if you fix your problem, too. Did you try that Mobility modifier he posted a few posts up?