XFX 4850 Crashes and Vertical Lines. Only when i OC the core.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by megamaan, Sep 9, 2010.

1. megamaan

megamaan Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 Nitro +
    Hello everyone, this is precisely the problem. The vga in stock: 625 mhz / 993 mhz works perfect.
    If overclocking memory, until in 1155 mhz is stable, no artifacts.
    The problem is to overclock the core, default 625 mhz. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes lasting less, but the games (read Crysis, Resident Evil 5, test of 3DMark 06) crashed and vertical lines appear as an error.
    The more you do the core OC, crash faster.
    There any solution for my problem?

I tried:
    * Reinstall drivers.
    * Lower the voltage from the Ati tray tools.
    * Increase the speed of PCI-E.
    * Disable ATI AI.
    * Remove the microprocessor OC.

I do not think power supply problem, much less.
    I searched in Google, I have looked many forums and many users have this damn problem to solve underclocked the core! Which I think is unacceptable!.

To some she has an idea? Any solution? Please help. : S

2. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Have you ever checked the temperature of your GPU?
    You can use GPU-Z for that.

3. megamaan

megamaan Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 Nitro +
    Yes, the temps are fine!!. Max 65ยบ when play Crysis, for example !!

4. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    I suggest u to read the articles how to oc , u can find lots of threads over here , but still problem persist, go back to ur stock ..

5. jmd88

jmd88 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 512MB
    1. I have never seen reinstalling drivers improve stability after an overclock, unless you changed the oem partner ID in the video bios. Even then, it is not done to improve stability.
    2. You lowered the voltage after an overclock? Typically, you need to increase it. Since overheating is not the problem, this very well could be. Do not increase it too much or use voltages not supported by your card, or you will fry it within days or weeks.
    3. I do not see how increasing the speed of your PCI-E slot would solve your problem.
    4. There was no good reason to assume that catalyst AI would cause crashes that it did not cause at stock speeds.
    5. Did I misunderstand what you meant here? Removing the overclock on your CPU would only help if your power supply was the problem. Aside from that, E5200s have regularly reached overclocks of 4 GHz, which would provide a superior performance increase.

In summary, try overvolting the card CAREFULLY. Remember, excessively overvolting any device will significantly decrease its overall lifespan. Increase your clock speed in reasonable increments, running short stability tests with each increase. If that does not solve your problem, check the amperage per rail on your PSU and make sure that you are not overloading one rail. If nothing seems to work, be satisfied with a vram and CPU overclock. Any increased performance is more than you paid for. Remember that many 4850 GPUs failed testing for the higher-clocked 4870s, so clock speeds 750 MHz and higher are not likely.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. GTS

GTS Member

GPU:
    8800GTS G92
    @megaman how many clock of GPU increment before getting trouble? 625 + xxx

7. megamaan

megamaan Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 Nitro +
    625 Mhz is the default, the crash happens in certain games such as Crysis, Lost Planet 2 Benchmark, 3DMark06 Test.
    When I upload, for example at 630 mhz, vertical lines appear (only in the games mentioned, and there will be someone else). If I raise to 660, 670, 680 ... mhz, is much worse.

Previously, all these things I tried, I was pulling the forums who posed as a "possible" solution, but I knew I reinstall drivers for example, would not solve anything.

I can not think what to do and I think this vga is defective and so every time you do oc the core, this problem occurs. :bang:

8. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    No offense, but it works fine at normal clocks, the card isnt defective. There's no garrentee anything works OCed. Especially for video cards.

But if your determind, what program are you using to OC your card?

9. megamaan

megamaan Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 Nitro +
    *MSI Afterburner
    *ATI Tray Tools
    *RivaTuner
    *ATI Overdrive

10. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    ^ This

11. megamaan

megamaan Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 Nitro +
    I am using the ATI 10.9 and I still have the problem. Possible solutions exist to prevent the vertical lines?.
    I tried adjusting the fan speed, pulling down the overclock to the memory, reset the bios to its original settings, and I still have the same problem.
    The crisys it crashes a few seconds, ditto with other games. I tested the MSI Kombustor and crashes.
    When there are vertical lines, and blocks the sound, I have to reboot the pc. :bang:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010