Stay away from BFG Tech

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zifnab, Sep 5, 2010.

1. zifnab

zifnab Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    Just read over at HardOCP that BfgTech was bought out by Best Data, same company that bought the Diamond brand a while back. Horrible customer service and more than likely any BFG Tech stuff still in the retail chain won't have warranty support. Those currently using BFG cards just lost their warranty. Sucks.

2. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    We all knew this was coming as the company was going down either way. Closed or bought out it should pretty much be expected that all warranties would be void. This probably doesn't belong in the driver section though.

3. zifnab

zifnab Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    Agreed, thought I had hit the nvidia card section, my bad. I was offering a word of warning for the leftover cards already in the retail chain, as more than likely people buying them won't realize they are taking a big risk warranty wise.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  4. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070
    Some good news for BFG owners:

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For US based customers, you're 100% wrong. By purchasing BFG Technologies Inc. Best Data is now 100% liable for any warranty claims concerning BFG Technologies Inc. branded graphics cards. The warranty, as states, is a legally binding contract that can only be severed by BFG Technologies Inc. ceasing to do business is the US. People that have previously purchased BFG Technology Inc. branded graphics cards with lifetime warranties still have their warranties. By purchasing BFG Technologies Inc., Best Data has legally agreed to honor any and ALL currently existing warranties within the retail chain.

6. Syphon452

Syphon452 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896
    I hope this is true.
    I have a 8800gt and a GTX260 both from BFGTECH
    the 8800gt idles @ 80 degrees celcius no matter what i do so i wanna trade that in for another one or something.The GTX260 runs fine.

7. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Got a link for this claim? BFG stopped taking RMAs in and replacing cards, are you saying that now Best Data will replace my dead card? I was told a company that buys a dead company does not have to honor warranties. Please provide proof that BestData will replace my card. Because otherwise my warranty isn't worth jack crap!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  8. zifnab

zifnab Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    No, he doesn't, because he is wrong. Best Data bought BFG Tech out of liquidation and is under no obligation to honor pre-existing warranties.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    From my understanding BFG Tech didn't file bankruptcy so there's no liquidation clause.

10. jonnyGURU

jonnyGURU Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 2GB x 2
    You're incorrect. Whether or not BFG filed bankruptcy, as far as I know Best Data only bought the BFG brand. I'm fairly certain the company was already closed down by the time this transaction took place. If the bought the company, as a company, there would be some liability. But Best Data has no legal obligation when they simply buy a brand.

That said, it would be nice if Best Data could take over where BFG left of as far as warranty and support, but we'll have to wait and see what comes of that.

11. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Surely to protect the brand they have bought, they would honour existing warranties etc. Otherwise they'll be only hurting the brand they have acquired.

But hey, maybe I'm being too logical?

12. zifnab

zifnab Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    That would be the honorable thing to do and would go a long way to earn them "street cred" with those of us left hanging in the wind but judging by their recent behavior with their Diamond brand warranties things don't look good for us consumers.

13. zifnab

zifnab Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    Oh, and If that JonnyGuru is the same one that frequents the hardwarecanuck forums, I believe what he has to say, as he is an ex-employee of BFG Tech.

14. SwiftDragon

SwiftDragon Active Member

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    This is some ****ing bull****, my bfg gtx280's have recently had heating issues and I was considering an rma after a friend of a friend reccomended I buy BFG only a year ago! So now im forced to buy PNY if I want to do anything with these at all? even if I consider that IS the 25% off only for 1 card, if I set both would it be 50%?

Someone please respond, Im seriously raging right now.

Also is there anyway to talk contact them through email, they say you should call by phone, but I hate dealing with tech support, Gawd.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  15. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Have you tried pulling off the cooler to clean out the dust and what not and replacing the TIM with something like MX-2?

16. SwiftDragon

SwiftDragon Active Member

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    I blew them out with some canned air, there wasnt that much dust to be honest.

I tried opening them up before but im just scared im gonna nuke the card.
    I have read TIM replacing stories before that actually made it worse.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Brand buyouts are pretty rare since they typically don't really gain the purchasing company anything of major value. Buying a brand in itself doesn't provide any real financial benefit. Buying a company provides financial benefit because you get all the IP they posessed....if any. But, it is an easy way to get a brand name, screw over and piss off a lot of customers all at once. It's still not a liquidation....it's a brand buy out.

If it's not done properly, it can damage the card. There are countless guides for applying TIM properly and most make it pretty well idiot proof.

18. jonnyGURU

jonnyGURU Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 2GB x 2
    It's not rare for Best Data. It's the same thing they did with the Diamond brand.

And it's not that rare in the industry. The Visiontek we know today is not the same company it was years ago when it was an Nvidia board partner.

19. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    They don't have to honor anything... UNLESS THEY MAKE GOOD ON ONE WARRINTY. I worked in contracts & collections for a long time and they don't assume any liability

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I think us BFG customers will not have any warranty support whatsoever. If I am wrong feel free to correct me