Spoiled with choice.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Mr._Murphy, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    Like so many other posts on here, I'm in the market for a new sound card. However after a few hours of research and reading over reviews, I'm still yet to be 100% sold on any one product.

Primarily it will be for games. But I do also use this machine for music. I have a set of Logitech z-5500Ds and I intend on using an optical link (side question, Robscix I saw you mention that analog is the best way to go with these speakers?).

Currently I am using an Auzentech Prelude. Unfortunately it's a little too close to my GPU and restricts the airflow, so I need to resort to a PCI-e card (hence why I'm posting here).

I've got three cards in mind:

Asus Xonar D2X
    Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD 7.1
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium FATAL1TY Pro

Beyond that, I'm a little lost of which to go with, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    All three are great cards. Compare their features and see what you need and want.
    The reason I suggest using analog with those speakers is because the internal DAC that would be used when running digital is lower quality then those available on modern soundcards.

3. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV
    Thank you for the input :)

One last thing. Are the satellite speakers on the z-5500Ds classified as Full-Range speakers? I was playing around with the properties in the Win7 Control panel and a google search has yet to reveal a definitive answer.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Well Logtech said they was tho I would set them as non full range since they cant handle the bass if it came out the speakers.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

No, they are limited range speakers. They cannot produce bass after a certain point. A full range speaker would be able to produce a freq. range from 20Khz to 20hz... A 2 or 3way speaker with woofers would be considered full range.