Sound problem!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by GTFO, Aug 24, 2010.

1. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    Hey, I am recently having problems with my sound. Whenever I have games open my music in the background will stop playing for a bit. I have an Auzentech prelude w/ z5500 Logitech Speakers, the control pod LED will blink no digital data/digital data when it happens, is it my soundcard? May someone please help me troubleshoot this problem? Thanks!

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You're using digital?
    With that system digital is a downgrade....I would suggest you switch to analog.
    Aside from that, something is causing drop outs. Did you install anything new prior to the issue?

3. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    Nope, nothing new was installed to the PC. I also tried to format to see if it would fix the problem but nope :( hmm I am using DTS Digital, is Analog 6ch really better?

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It depends on if the card has a better DAC then the receiver. IN many cases companies use lower end DAC's for their S/Pdif input sections. This doesn't mean the receiver is low quality or sounds bad. Modern soundcards are usually built with some of the best DAC chips you can buy.
    Try it out, what do you have to lose?

As for the drop out issue, are you using the latest drivers?
    Did you change ANY setting you can think of before the issue popped up?

5. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    I am using the latest prelude drivers, and no I do not recall changing any settings...but is it possible if you listed any potential programs/hardware that may cause conflict with the sound? maybe it might ring me a bell :D

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Install this application: DPC latency checker
    put it on the desktop and enable it and run some audio through the system. If your drops outs are related to latency which in 98% of the cases they are, this app will show it and what is causing it.
    Let us know what you find.

7. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    I ran the DPC latency checker and all of the bars are green. Btw I tried using Analog and the bass feels weaker than DTS Digital, is this normal?

8. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    umm actually...when I booted up firefox and played some youtube videos, there were red/yellow bar spikes...

edit: When I boot up music on Winamp and youtube, there are constant red spikes. I also hear squeaky static sounds, then the music smooths out after about 10-20seconds. What does this tell me?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Make sure you have Bass redirection enabled and tuned properly. The Bass redirection send the bass to the subwoofer. When you do a channel test is everything correct?

10. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    Bass redirection is enabled, but how do you tune it properly? The the speaker test passed.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    it might tell you this :nerd:

SB X-Fi Series AuzenUAA Pack 1.5 (02/20/2010)

-This set is recommended for users having crackling and static issues with NVIDIA nForce chipsets (especially with 4gb ram).

try this set, although you lose a few features: Decoder, DVD Audio and WhatUHear are not available and cannot be enabled in the driver included.

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    If I remember right Bass redirection should be set to 80 for Z5500s sub. I havent used my Z-5500 in many years.

13. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    Hey, I am also getting a lot of static sound when I move my mouse while watching VLC videos on fullscreen. The latency checker spikes to red as soon as I move the mouse...could it be the mouse drivers?

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Check the drivers. If you are using some type of USB mouse...try another port.
    if it is a mouse such as logitech etc...make sure you have the latest drivers.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea it could be both sound driver and mouse driver...

btw, did you try that uaa 1.5 driver?

and there could be a problem with Ati HD sound in device manager.. im not sure about this one, but i saw few mentioning it.

16. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    I tried different usb ports for the mouse but no luck, I never had this problem before with my mouse..so I dont think its the mouse hmm...and do I delete my old sound drivers to use that?

17. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    Red bars spiked up when I had a video+mouse driver program+CS source open. The bars went back to green when I turned off the game. ugh...could this be bad video card drivers? I am using the latest ones.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    OK, if you are hearing the mouse when moving it...try and mute the cards inputs...as they may be picking up signals if they are floating. -enabled with no signal attached.
    Mute everything your not using.

19. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    What do u mean muting everything O.O?

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Go into the mixer panels and MUTE the mic-IN and Line-IN etc....