Problem with upgrade from Nvidia to Radeon

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by charlie_bebop, Aug 19, 2010.

1. charlie_bebop

charlie_bebop Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Hi Guys. I’ve recently upgraded from a 8800GTX to a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Toxic 1GB. Games look much better, but I’m finding a lot of 3D games are crashing 5 – 60 minutes in. I don’t get any visual glitching, artifacts, lines or slowdowns, just the screen will go black and a windows grey box pop up with ‘X has stopped working’. These same games would run fine (albeit slower) on the 8800GTX. Here’s what I’ve done:

Cleared out all old drivers with driver sweeper
    Installed latest catalyst drivers (10.7)
    Reinstalled PhysX
    Reflashed MB bios
    downloaded DX SDK in the hope it might find some missing files

I’ve stress tested the card using FurMark, and even on the most extreme setting with the GPU at 100% load, I can’t get the temperature to go above 75
    One thing to note is that very ‘3D’ games, such as Mass Effect 2 and Aliens Vs Predator, crash within minutes, whereas top down RTS Starcraft II has never crashed. Another thing to note is that AvP always crashes at a certain point – in the marine missions during the tutorials where you turn on the torch. Would this suggest it’s having issues with the new dynamic lightsource, and hence an engine problem?

Anyone got any ideas? I think the stress test shows that it’s not temperature or power that’s an issue. My suspicion is that it’s some 3D software component (D3D etc) that’s gone screwy since I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. But I don’t know how to test this

Any advice much appreciated

2. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Might I ask why your reflashed MB bios? To be honest, I'm wondering if driver sweeper did more harm than good, I've changed from Nvidia to ATi and vice versa, have never used these cleaners and never suffered a driver related issue due to remnants.

You are using Windows 7, right? What do the logs say about the crash?

3. charlie_bebop

charlie_bebop Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Reflashed the Mobo as I saw someone else on this forum had a similar issue, and it helped.

There's nothing unusual in the system logs around the times, these crashes only appear in the application logs. Here's an example of one:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-08-19T06:27:29.000000000Z

EventRecordID 5423

Channel Application

Computer xxxx

Security

- EventData

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What power PSU you got ?

5. charlie_bebop

charlie_bebop Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Found some interesting things in the ACEEventlogs though. Attaching here.

This worries me a little:

<Data>0000000251: 2010-08-19 08:25:27:380 Exception: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

would this indicate some kind of hardware fault, or is it a pretty standard error, as far as anyone knows.

Kind of groping in the dark here. I know I'm being cheeky posting a log, but really any help appreciated.

RMA would be a pain as I got it brought over from the states

6. charlie_bebop

charlie_bebop Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    620W Corsair

7. klanjsek

klanjsek Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 5870 900/1250
    maybe you should try checking your memory first. i do not know where, but i did read somewhere that radeons are more sensitive to bad memory. also check your HDD.

next, try different drivers. if that does not work, than maybe try reinstalling windows. sometimes only this helps. although some say this is unnecessary, there are many things that can go wrong in modern os (which are impossible to trace by the average user).

btw, welcome to the forum. :)

8. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Is it the "Display driver has stopped working and recovered" error message you get? Coz thats a windows issue that seems to happen to both brands.

I fixed it by reinstalling windows.

9. charlie_bebop

charlie_bebop Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    No, it's always the specific game program that has stopped working, not the display driver. Also, I was kind of hoping for something a little less drastic :)

10. charlie_bebop

charlie_bebop Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Thank you very much :)
    memtest next then. Already tried installing new drivers. Just found there's a new bios from Sapphire too, I'll give that a try

11. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Try using the 10.5 drivers.

12. charlie_bebop

charlie_bebop Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Updated to latest Sapphire bios - no help
    Ran memtest86+ - system memory reports no errors
    tried the 10.5 drivers - still have the problem

At the moment I'm thinking it's either faulty board (hope not) or something software problem in windows when it comes to rendering 3D

Can anyone think of any diagnostic tools not run already that might help me narrow it down further?

13. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    At this point, I'd wipe the system and reinstall windows from scratch.

14. Bogdy2160

Bogdy2160 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 Armor 2X
    A friend of mine had the same problem with his pc,it ran Crysis for hours,Dragon Age ,no problems,when he played Heroes 5 his pc crashed every time, i solved the problem by lowering the memorys frequency from 1066 mhz to 800,(2 * 1 gb Corsair ddr2 1066 mhz),since then no more crashes :D

15. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    actually this sounds like a ram problem.

Edit* just read the other posts durr

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

its gpu and looks like its trying to access some private part of the memory, probably doesn't have sufficient privileges and that's why its denied..the game is trying to access refresh rate, or aspect device ratio,..but the gpu's driver part doesn't have those rights. Well that's how i see it :nerd:, i could be totally wrong

Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Caste.Graphics.Runtime.RT_GraphicsAdapter

PrivateRefresh
    processID:00552 threadID: ( ) domainName: (CCC.exe) assemblyName: (CLI.Aspect.DeviceDFP.Graphics.Runtime, Version=2.0.3839.36713, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e),..

try and disable UAC, or try and run the game as administrator (right click on avp and run as administrator)

or try and reinstall display driver with UAC disabled,. or did you do that already?

17. klanjsek

klanjsek Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 5870 900/1250
    i agree. it sounds something sw related. you could also try to run your pc at stock (if you have not already done that, i.e., load bios defaults).

but at the end, i still think you will loose less time by reinstalling windows than trying to trace the problem. if it happens after reinstalling i would rma.

EDIT: also, try to disable "ATI high definition sound device" and update your sound drivers. it is known that creative drivers can be "moody":smoke:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  18. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Did you buy the game or is it the 'will try the software and if it's any good, will buy it' one?

19. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    Hahahaha.... someone notice the 1.0.0.0 version heh?:infinity:

20. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'd just save yourself some time and reinstall windows, that rules out software.