Awesome software! Is my new fan profile "safe"?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by HandyAndy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    First off please excuse the newbness of the question!

i got the software with my new MSI 470, after running a few benches in Furmark the temp peaked out at 94C with the fan on auto.

i adjusted the profile as such

Base speed 50%
    Temp 60C Fan at 55%
    Temp 70C Fan at 65%
    Temp 80C Fan at 75%
    Temp above 90 Fan at 85%

i have read all the threads about fans, and was just wondering if acceleraleting the fan with this software "could" in any way damage or have negative impact on the card?

BTW love the software!
    Andy

2. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I'm running a three point curve:
    30degrees and below: 22%
    45 degrees: 45%
    85 degrees (and above): 100%

Makes my 5850+5970 level out at around 51 degrees C during 100% load with stream processing, and about the same when using them for 3D.

//Svein

3. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    Hmm. Thanks for the response. The thing is that i dont know anyone else with a 470, and while numerous benches put the load temp at 94C, i dont know if a temp of 86-88C max is normal for gaming. If it is then i am happy to leave the fan on auto, if not then i have to use the fan to cool it down a bit more!

I like the fan option, and need to try and optimize it for coolness and sound (very loud fan!)

Thanks for your input.

Andy

EDIT - Sorry 1 more question, adjusting the fan cycle wont have any adverse effect on the card will it?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. KevinK37

KevinK37 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
    I also own a GTX 470 and found the "auto" setting inadequate. My fan profile in afterburner is as follows:

45C and below 45%
    60C - 60%
    85C - 100%

I just have these three points set in my profile. I have never got to 85C. The warmest I have seen with this profile is approximately 73C. Fan noise to me is relative. I personally don't mind it.

Changing the fan cycle can only help your card as it won't be getting as hot.

Kevin

5. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    Thank guys, after a rather nerdy testing session involving Borderlands and timers this is what i got to

Base speed 40%
    Temp 60C Fan at 55%
    Temp 70C Fan at 65%
    Temp 80C Fan at 75%
    Temp above 90 Fan at 90%

After an hour at 99% usage temps got to 80 at Max and the fan was bearable! Nice, the previous set up had the fan too loud ()but kept the temp to 73). But now by letting the GPU temp up 80 i can tolerate the noise!

MSI Afterburner is awesome!

6. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    Thank guys, after a rather nerdy testing session involving Borderlands and timers this is what i got to

Base speed 40% untill 50C
    Temp 60C Fan at 55%
    Temp 70C Fan at 65%
    Temp above 90 Fan at 90%

After an hour playing Borderlands at 99% usage temps got to 80 at Max and the fan was bearable! Nice, the previous set up had the fan too loud (but kept the temp to 73). But now by letting the GPU temp up 80 i can tolerate the noise!

80 should be okay as a max temp shoudint it?

MSI Afterburner is awesome!
    Thanks everyone for your help!

7. fagoatse

fagoatse Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    I, on the other hand, use two profiles, silent one with fan running as slowly as possible and gaming one.

8. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    I use a fan profile by hand made graph, and tick the "user defined software
    automatic fan control"
    For me I like this graph because the fan is silent as possible and never go up then 68 Celsius, with a ambient of 26 Celsius.
    I load up a game before I made this screen-shot, and if you look at the right picture you see the fan in- and decrease in little steps (infinitely variable).
    Maybe is this helpful?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  9. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    Dankie, myne is baie warm, ek sal dit probeer! Ek moet n ander fan verkoop wir die geval.

i think an extra fan in the case is going to help a bit, but the Afterburner fan profile works brilliantly. Thanks for everyones thoughts!