Afterburner 2.0.0 Beta 6 (2010-08-12) Triple Over-Voltage

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Over-voltage feature is combination of hardware (VRM design) and software, you can not flash bios to get this feature magically. For any msi graphics card support over-voltage, we will have very clear information on colorbox and Afterburner readme file.

regular 470/460 Twin Frozr II only support GPU overvoltage, only special "OV3" (it's internal codename for new series) edition will support triple over-voltage. you can't flash that bios into another card to acquire over-voltage feature.

2. BVALJALO

BVALJALO Member

GPU:
    GB WF GTX670(1337c/7000m)
    Where you went out of your way to try to make me look dumb is by creating a 'straw man' in the form of implying that I was entertaining the ridiculous notion that flashing my card was going to give it hardware that it doesn't have, when I never said that at all, and then knocking that straw-man down.

I was thinking a simple 'no, that feature won't work because the only twin frozr II card that has the necessary hardware for the memory OV feature is the OV3 model, the regular ones do not' would have been a reasonable answer.

But, whatever, man. If you don't 'get' what I'm saying here, you're not going to get it, so ... I'm over it.

Thanks for answering my question in any case.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. BVALJALO

BVALJALO Member

GPU:
    Since we're on this subject, though, what kind of outcome are you guys seeing in your testing AFA memory overvolting actually improving the ability to overclock the vram?

And sorry if this is another dumb question, but is the voltage control actually affecting the voltage on the memory chips, or is it affecting the memory controller, or both?

Reason I ask is that I was under the impression that, at least on Fermi, generally the limiting factor to the memory OC's was the abilities of the memory controller as opposed to the limit coming from the memory chips themselves.

TIA,
    brettjv

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That is YOUR ASSUMPTION what I'm trying to make. What I'm actually trying to make is minimizing the amount of similar questions/answers in the same thread and giving useful hints to others coming here with similar questions. And you're making yourself looking dumb by turning discussion into that way instead of accepting a simple fact: your hardware is simply not compatible with this feature and never will. You had everything to understand it from the very first reply you're received. And seriously, guys, I realize that many users are annoyed by the fact theat they cannot get some new and free bonus tweak, but there is no need to be THAT greedy and express your anger THAT way. 2 bans already into ONE thread due to triple overvoltage feature announce! NONE of you purchased a card withtriple voltage adjustment capability. So what's a problem? Start seeing things in a light different from "I just want it. Period" please.
    But, whatever, man. If you don't 'get' what I'm saying here, you're not going to get it too. So I'll just try to avoid any discussions with one more user.

5. BVALJALO

BVALJALO Member

GPU:
    Again you take up the ridiculing of 'straw men' that you've created, I see. Nowhere did I express anything even remotely like displeasure about not having the feature, nor a lack of acceptance. I just wanted an answer whether or not I would/could get this feature.

You know, you're obviously a bright man Alex and I have great respect for you on a professional level. I've enjoyed using Rivatuner formany years, since I first used it to unlock the pipes on my 6600.

And I've also read many, many replies of yours over the years on this board, and I have to say ... the way you express yourself very often comes off as quite abrasive and even condescending, in my humble opinion.

Good day sir.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    Screenshot folder is getting a little cluttered now that afterburner reliably fires (thanks, OSD message!). Noticing the naming procedure simplified as Name - Date - Time. Would there be some way via .cfg editing to change the filenames to Date - Time, and have the Name portion be a created subfolder? Just curious!

7. Unwinder

I've also read many, many questions and answers from thousands of different types of users and sadly used to the fact that some people tend to start behaving your way as soon as their desires are not being satisfied. And be fair at least in front of yourself, you've got exactly the same reply as mine from MSI representative, telling you that new feature requires special hardware and flashing different card's BIOS won't magically unlock the things physically missing on your card. So that's not the question of my replying style. And that was the only reply any normal tech person would give to a user flashing different card's BIOS and surprizing that software doesn't work properly after doing so.
    And don't wish anyone a good day if your post is actually intended to make the day bad. Such "polite" lie smells bad.

8. Unwinder

There is no way to do it now. And honestly I don't think that screen capture functionality will progress any further, initially we planned to introduce the screen capture in v1.6.0 as a part of commercical functionality, but it looks like the company completely lost an interest to this function now. And I don't think that improving the functionality the company don't need is a good investment for work time, sorry.

9. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX670
    I have the MSI 4890 Cyclone. I wish I could up the voltage on it because my temps do not get above 50* in gaming. I am currently running it at 945/1050

10. Unwinder

Some news about changes expected in beta 7:

There will be new option called <Enable data filtering> in the <Monitoring> tab. It will be possible to enable data filtering mode independently for each hardware monitoring graph. Quote from new option contex help:

Enable data filtering
    Simultaneous access to the same hardware sensor (e.g. GPU temperature sensor) by multiple software products may result in sensor misreading resulting in seeing spontaneous abnormally low or abnormally high spikes on the graphs. Enabling this option allows processing the data with special math filtering algorithm rejecting such spikes.
    Please take a note that enabling filtering may reject real data spikes (e.g. shot GPU usage spikes) as well delay graph updates by up to 4 polling periods.

11. Shinzok

Shinzok Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB
    Damn, why can't you guys make it possible to overvolt on my GF 9600GT :( . It could really help me get a stabile 800 MHz.

12. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Well maybe because your card has NO progamable voltage controller , so it is not possible to adjust this settings .
    Open the doc folder in the MSI Afterburner installation folder and read the "read me".
    All the supported grafic adapters with progamable voltage control are listed there.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  13. Unwinder

Probably because it is physically impossible and this hardware lacks programmable VRMs?

14. Shinzok

Shinzok Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB
    oké is anyone else experiencing that MSI afterburner is taking screenshots without telling it to do that ?

15. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Only newer card has over-voltage function, you can check readme for detail list.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

16. Jonup

Jonup Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Garrett, can you tell me what is the VRM inside my N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G (the green version)? It appears to be different then the one in N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G OC. Only supports voltages in intervals of 0.03v. I can't seem to find any info online.
    TIA!

17. giogio1

giogio1 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 480
    I managed to go beyond the limitations of the bios and drivers in managing the dual monitor, setting low profile 2D (100 on core 100 on shaders and 100 on memory with voltage 0.825) and high profiles in 3D (800 on core 1600 on shaders 2000 on memory with voltage 1.100), improving the management of my GTX 480 TDP:
    - Afterburner 2.0.0 beta 6 for the statistics server and management of the fan.
    - NvidiaInspector 1.91 to set different performance level.
    - RivaTuner 2.24 to launch various performance level via hardware acceleration.

Many thanks for your Software Unwinder ;)

18. edison

edison Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX680
    ---------------------------
    MSI Afterburner
    ---------------------------
    Some of MSI Afterburner components are expired, missing or corrupted!

19. Unwinder

Beta 6 has 2 weeks trial period and expired today. ANY beta version with time limit displays info about expiration date in <i> window. We'll release beta 7 couple days later.

20. jujdred

jujdred New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800 GTX
    Overvolting is very risky. So I highly suggest that you read the ENTIRE guide through before even attempting this fantabulous mod.

justageeks original post at XtremeSystems. All thanks goes to him.

justageeks rehash (with appropriate thanks) as well as some additional info from forum members at ocxtreme.

another rehash of justageeks mod but with pictures

EVGA GPU Voltmod program method, but be sure to read and heed EVERY warning.