My dad is lookin to buy a new pc!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jagrafess, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Jagrafess

Jagrafess Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5850 1gb
    After the help you gurus gave me to build my awesome rig, I thought you might be able to help my old man out, with his new machine he wishes to build :D
    Thus far we have:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090t
    GPU: ASUS HD 5850
    Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD-Pro
    RAM: Patriot 1600mhz 8Gig
    PSU: Antec Signature SG 850

Any advice, tips etc would be helpful thank you :D

EDIT- He does alot of video and music encoding, photoshopping, some gaming and music recording.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Take a look at my rig and buy a new mobo

*edit* I personally am bias with asus, had 3 mobos and a videocard take a dive and asus was difficult with giving me rma numbers and returning a mobo. I do though have a stellar track record with gigabyte, their motherboards in particular have been a pleasure.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i'll prolly get called a troll but its the other way round for me. i love giga but have had problems with earier mobo's. where as with asus (who i didnt like at first) ive had no issues with at all. in fact i only buy asus mobo's now, mainly because of the bios. its just brillianty done and easy to navigate.

4. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    troll! just kiddin :nerd: i do agree that asus bios are fun. I feel all flash and no substance =)

5. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    ^^ i knew you would troll me up lol.

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It looks like you are on the right track already. :) If the money is in the budget I would get a SSD for the OS and then a 1 terrabyte HDD for storing all the good stuff.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    since he does a lot of video and music ecoding etc wouldnt it be best to give him a quad instead. unless that model unlocks.

8. Jagrafess

Jagrafess Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5850 1gb
    I would have thought a 6 core cpu would be even better than a quad at those things. What do you mean by 'unlocks'?

It seems thus far hes chosen well

I've suggested he might wanna get a new case too cos the 5850 is a long card.

You've all been very helpful, but please continue, hes got time while he waits for his tax return :p

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    /facepalm moment of the day there mate :)

Maybe you can unlock it to an Octicore.

10. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Solid choices so far. With no real remaining budget or purchase places to get an idea of how to split the money, it's hard to put down suggestions for the other parts. Some ideas to complete the build...

Prices are USD; I'm not familiar with Australian computer stores.

Hard drives: multiple Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB drives - usually ~$70 USD a piece
    Case: depending on your budget: CM RC-690/RC-690 II - usually around $60; CM HAF 922 - usually around $90; CM HAF 932 - around $130
    Optical drive: depending on usage: DVD burner (Asus, LG, and Lite-On have strong offerings) - $20; Blu-ray burner (LG and Lite-On seem good for the price) - $100
    Sound card: Asus Xonar D2X - $180; Xonar DX - $60-80 (if he can't afford the D2X)

An SSD is an idea given the kind of hardware being put into this bulid, but that money could be better spent on other hardware since modern magnetic hard drives are still plenty fast. Also, consider a third-party CPU cooler since that unlocked Phenom II X6 can clock pretty high. The CM Hyper 212 Plus, Xigmatek HD-S1283, Tuniq Tower, Thermalright TRUE, Zalman CNPS10X Flex, and Noctua NH-D14 (plus AM3 backplate) are among the best contenders at each price point.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Both ASUS and GIGABYTE are highly recommended from me. The quotation you have looks great as is.

deltatux

12. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Perfect setup for the applications you mentioned ( in that order). 6 core CPUs are good at Multimedia stuff.

13. Jagrafess

Jagrafess Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5850 1gb
    I thank you all very much for your input, its been helpful :D
    My old man was very happy with the setup, but hes decided to get a new Gibson guitar instead. One must follow their passions I guess :)