BFBC2 GPU Utilization

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dictator93, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    I had always assumed the bottleneck was there, but I really did not forecast it to such an extent. Seriously, large bottle neck. I just dropped a good 700 on these boards and I am reluctant to buy a new motherboard and processor (plus with the new 6 cores coming out so soon, along with a new chipset).

I also just a few years ago now spent about 300 bucks on an evga 780i FTW board (great investment though). I have been looking around on the internet and I really cannot find the most concrete evidence though that my performance should be SO GREATLY hampered by my Q6600.

I look at comparison charts on websites, and things like an hd5870 does not see such poor performance even on a noticably less powerful AMD chip. I still feel like there is something else that is happening here that is destroying my framerate. Although I assume my q6600 is a big part. But come on, 25% GPU utilization at 3.2+ Ghz? That seems even odd to me! I feel it should be higher considering more demanding games like metro2033 do not have this bottleneck.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    1. Nvidia cards seem to need more CPU power, at least the 400 series, than ATI cards
    2. Your mainboard isn't native PCIe 2.0 and so the cards loose a significant amount of performance (even G92 cards lost performance due to this)
    3. Old CPU architecture, not enough speed and not enough cores

We all have things that were expensive years ago yet that doesn't matter today. If I was you, in that situation, I'd rather sell one of the cards and get a nice CPU and mainboard instead.

3. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    yup , my q6600 at 3.4 is bottlenecking my two 260's , i get 5fps more in BC2 if i disable sli!!!

that said stalker clear sky runs both gpus at 60-90% all the time , i just think as BC2 is so cpu intensive it really drags down the power the cpu can supply to both cards , either that or the game needs a decent patch , im playing BC2 at 16aa and 16af , i might aswell as i get the same fps as i do at 1aa and 8af , perfect symptom of a cpu bottleneck , averaging 45fps with drops to 28 and highs of 70

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Actually the my mainboard (the FTW edition which you can read about here) does have PCIE 2.0. But yeah, I completely agree that I need a new CPU

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    But it doesn't support it natively. 780i is basically a 680i with add-on chip. Only with the 790i you saw a real performance improvement on cards that ran into bandwidth problems.

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Natively or not doesn't matter it has the 32 lane support electrically via NF200, all that matters.

The op could try with a cpu from the Q9xxx series I guess, sell the old Q66 for 80 bucks I and buy a Q9xxx of ebay or some other auction site at 150-190 dollars and see improvement if he can OC it some. A 2nd hand Q9550 @ 4.0 ghz is nothing to sneeze at.

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    According to the reviews of that time it actually did matter. The chipsets limitation is the bus speed if I remember correctly. PCIe 1.0 was half the speed of 2.0. That was the reason why you could see dramatical performance increases on boards with 680i and G92 if you overclocked the PCIe from the original 100MHz.
    You may not have the limitation of too few lanes with the 780i boards but it still lacks the speed.
    Just think about it: If there was a bandwidth problem even with old cards like the G92 then you'd have some serious problems with G200 or even G400 cards, right?
    Just a new quad core with higher clocks might have helped with a GTX 260 SLI or something alike but it's definitely not on par with 400 series cards.

Something else one might want to consider: The Nvidia boards drew a lot of power and needed even more to drive a quad to higher clocks. If you go for a modern board you'd need much less electrical power or could use even higher clocks.

8. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    after i read your post i turned vsync off, and my gpu now is anywhere from 75-90% with frame rates up to over 100 ... however, the game isnt smooth with vsync off even at really high fps :(

dice has stated that vsync is fixed in the next patch (crosses fingers)

9. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    mm now i understand.. i also have a cpu bottleneck.. im playing at 1680*1050 HBAO off, everthing else maxout avg 45 fps

10. Funkyseas

Funkyseas Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 470 SLI @ 800/1800
    Hi Guy´s

So here is my BF2 with 32CSAA, Vsync on, HBO on

2x GTX 470 800/1600/1800

AMD 1090T @ 4 Ghz

But i used DX 10 not DX 11 because DX 10 runs smoother than DX 11 in BF2.

View attachment 4378

But it doesn´t runs realy smooth, after a couple of time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I get 95-99% GPU usage with my Core i7-860 @ 4Ghz. What is your CPU usage in game? If its close or maxed out on all 4 cores, you definately have a CPU bottleneck.

12. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300

Just use D3DOverider, i dont play any games without it enabled :)

13. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I'm not sure if my cpu is bottle necks but on bfbc2 my fps goes between 42fps-70fps.
    here's a few screen shots of the gpu and cpu usage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Yeah im getting the same crap here. Its not a cpu bottleneck on my side. 4 cores at 3,6Ght will hardly stop a single mid range card. Im having the same issue with Win7 64Bit no matter what gtx460 driver im using. Resolution, DX version, renderahaed and ingame settings doesnt matter so far.

I got rid of my microstutter problem with the latest quadros and my frames now barely stay above 60fps all the time but they DO, but the card could do much better.

here is a screen what it looks like. Notice the cpu running only at 60% too? Bottleneck my ass. But the as already said the problem is known by nvidia and different manufacturers that there is a problem mainly with GTX4xx cards and BC2 and they are all working on it from differnt angles.

[​IMG]

15. alex133

alex133 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
    Try running it in DX10 mode.

Running smooth as butter now.

16. m4rcus

m4rcus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Because i didnt try and didnt even wrote it in my post. Please read everything before you post, and please quote without pictures. Thanks.

17. alex133

alex133 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
    Wow, sorry Mr. Nice Guy, just trying to help.

I was having the exact same issue as you (with the same CPU + GPU combo), and after I changed the DXMode from 'Auto' to '10' in the settings.ini (pretty lame I know) it made all the difference in the world.

18. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Last time I checked using GPU-Z's maximum display it loaded one about some 95+% but the other one barely loaded more then 10%.

If anything though the most recent patch reduced my performance by some 40%.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ha ha you guys think its this or its that lol
    its ME! i hacked the game to make it just like a console 100% thats what you guys get buying this pos.
    upgrade everything it wont help just like crysht :wanker:

just kidding guys you will get over it

20. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    which patch worked the best with the 470?